2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
noname
noname

Re: Formula One 1.6l turbo engine formula as of 2013

Jimi_Hendrix_1967 wrote:Audi made it clear this week that they have no interest in F1: "F1 does not have any relevance to road cars." I guess that includes the 2013 engine rules.
Audi has long term plans related with Le Mans and they are also involved in DTM. VW is about to enter WRC to join the Skoda there.

If there would be a team from within VW group in F1 it will not be Audi. There is quite strong desire inside one of the group member to enter "pinnacle of motorsport" but there is strong opposition, also... so it's all about internal politics within the VW at the moment.

WhiteBlue

Fil wrote:(Unlike WB) I'm not so sure that there is a feasible way of achieving the road-relevant/future-driven tech desired, without it being an arms race. Certainly, there's no such speak from any engine manufacturer. Even Cosworth haven't mentioned a specific desire for a RRA for engine development (please point me towards anything to the contrary).
Your memory is short if you forgot the position of Cosworth that has been published several times by Tim Routsis and documented in the previous 2013 engine thread. If I find the time I will research the thread and give you the quotes that show exactly what you think they have not said. On top new engine technology at affordable cost is exactly the Merc position. They have always asked to limit the development spending to a point that the new development would have a pay back of less than five years with the same or lower customer prices. It appears that people do not listen to the statements that do not fit their preconceptions.
Jimi_Hendrix_1967 wrote:Given that most KERS systems are very fragile pieces of machinery, I wonder if it is wise to put a 250hp system wich can break down during a race in the 2013 cars. Imagine if Red Bull suddenly lost 250hp during a race vs a battle with mclaren...they would probably be lapped twice by the HRT's and the Virgins.
Every new tech has it's teething problems. There are plenty of people who complain that F1 has become too reliable to deliver a good show. In the past there was more heart braking drama with last lap break downs they say.
xpensive wrote:Mind you WB, but all of those manufacturers mentioned are releasing new models with 8, 12 and even 16 cylinders all the time.
I don't think that's the point here. There are many different markets in automotive products and naturally the successful manufacturers will try to serve them all. This includes cars for niche purposes, but even those are being redesigned for improved efficiency all the time. My example with the S-class shows that even in the luxury segment it becomes increasingly sensible to downsize and cut cylinder number by turbo charging.

One trend that goes along with downsizing and petrol turbos is the reduction of engine platforms. Increasingly different power and torque variants are being generated by a different level of blowing. You can run single, twin scroll and double sequential turbo chargers to derive different power and cost levels from one base engine instead of fiddling with three or four basic engine designs. This saves complexity cost and is attractive to the manufacturers. It will support the trend towards fewer cylinders as many engine configs like I5, I6 or V10 will slowly die out. Even V12 will be a questionable decision pretty soon as the new generation of turbo V8s gather momentum.
Jimi_Hendrix_1967 wrote:On top of that, I dont see VAG putting a Lamborghini tag on an inline 4 engine :) Audi made it clear this week that they have no interest in F1: "F1 does not have any relevance to road cars." I guess that includes the 2013 engine rules.
Apples and bananas again! Surely VW would enter F1 today if Piech was convinced that Bernie/CVC would run the sport with fair value to the manufacturers. As it stands the policy was closer to highway robbery than a fair deal.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive
xpensive

WhiteBlue wrote: ...
Surely VW would enter F1 today if Piech was convinced that Bernie/CVC would run the sport with fair value to the manufacturers. As it stands the policy was closer to highway robbery than a fair deal.
Holy crap WB, are we in agreement on how F1 is sucked dry by MrE and his profiteers from CVC?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Jimi_Hendrix_1967
Jimi_Hendrix_1967

Do you seriously think if bernie would distribute more honsetly to your needs, Lamborghini would put their name on a 4 cylinder inline engine? I dont.

WhiteBlue

Jimi_Hendrix_1967 wrote:Do you seriously think if bernie would distribute more honsetly to your needs, Lamborghini would put their name on a 4 cylinder inline engine? I dont.
I was talking value for the manufacturer not polemics!
Dr. Ulrich,Audi wrote:There's a very good reason why we are not in F1. There's no relevance to the road. At Le Mans, one of our cars will cover 325 miles more than an F1 car will cover in an entire season, our average speed including pitstops will be 20mph higher than an F1 car and we will use 42% less fuel.
There you have it in a nutshell. LeMans sounds like much better value for VW/Audi in terms of technology match and showcasing their products.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive
xpensive

I would think that the 42% less fuel is basically down to aerodynamic drag, which is outrageous for a Formula 1 car with its open wheels, which means that Dr. Ulrich to my mind is comparing apples with pears. If the FIA was serious about fuel consumption and road-car relevance, first thing to do would be to introduce wheel covering bodies, a minimum demand, no?

In that context, roadcar relevance in F1 rings rather hollow, open wheels is an anachronism from the 20s.

Feliks

CMSMJ1 wrote:F2 and GP3 cars are 1.8 and 2l turbo IL4 engines respectively.

F2 - 300+ bhp
GP3 280 bhp.

They all sound rubbish.

I am in their design suggests IL4 3.0 l ( bacground volume )
will have 1250 HP at 10 000 rpm.
But something just seems to me that nobody but me, that engine can not properly design the.....
And I think that still could be a diesel...
And then a few firefighters could lose their jobs...

Andrew :D :D

FW17

F2 - 300+ bhp
GP3 280 bhp.

They all sound rubbish.
Suzuki Hayabusa engine turbo charged in the garage of some petroheads puts out more than 650hp with pump fuel.

What do you say about that?

Feliks

WilliamsF1 wrote:

F2 - 300+ bhp
GP3 280 bhp.

They all sound rubbish.
Suzuki Hayabusa engine turbo charged in the garage of some petroheads puts out more than 650hp with pump fuel.

What do you say about that?
Firstly, at what speed RPM, second turbo, or displacement may be two times smaller. that is my 1500 ccm...

I think not impress me....
Sorry....

Andrew :D

But I think the drive F! 800 HP is enough.
that is my 750 cc turbo...
Production probably should move to Switzerland.. :roll:

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:I would think that the 42% less fuel is basically down to aerodynamic drag, which is outrageous for a Formula 1 car with its open wheels, which means that Dr. Ulrich to my mind is comparing apples with pears. If the FIA was serious about fuel consumption and road-car relevance, first thing to do would be to introduce wheel covering bodies, a minimum demand, no?

In that context, roadcar relevance in F1 rings rather hollow, open wheels is an anachronism from the 20s.
I'm not so sure that the wheels necessarily contribute the biggest part of the energy wasting in F1. The current F1 racers have a Cw of 0.95 and the FiA wanted to reduce this to 0.5 in 2013 with the ground effect tunnel plan. It appears that major improvements can be made to the drag even with open wheels. The problem with the aero is similar to the engine. The eternally backwards oriented forces in F1 keep shooting down progressive regulations.

I don't agree that Ulrich is making unrealistic comparisons if F1 deliberately pursues different objectives to the main automotive players. Nowadays fuel efficiency is the most important development objective in the vast majority of automotive markets. If F1 refuses to pursue an aggressive approach to fuel efficiency there is no surprise that there is no enthusiasm to spend a fortune to race there.

rjsa
rjsa

WhiteBlue wrote: Nowadays fuel efficiency is the most important development objective in the vast majority of automotive markets. If F1 refuses to pursue an aggressive approach to fuel efficiency there is no surprise that there is no enthusiasm to spend a fortune to race there.
F1 never pursued any auto industry objective. Never. It's always been the teams going faster and the regulators tring to curb them.

Fortunes are spent for choosing the colors on the moving billboards, not for R&D.

Why is that so hard to understand?
Last edited by Giblet on 26 May 2011, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quotation (I think)

Feliks

I'm not so sure that the wheels necessarily contribute the biggest part of the energy wasting in F1. The current F1 racers have a Cw of 0.95 and the FiA wanted to reduce this to 0.5 in 2013 with the ground effect tunnel plan. It appears that major improvements can be made to the drag even with open wheels. The problem with the aero is similar to the engine. The eternally backwards oriented forces in F1 keep shooting down progressive regulations.

I don't agree that Ulrich is making unrealistic comparisons if F1 deliberately pursues different objectives to the main automotive players. Nowadays fuel efficiency is the most important development objective in the vast majority of automotive markets. If F1 refuses to pursue an aggressive approach to fuel efficiency there is no surprise that there is no enthusiasm to spend a fortune to race there.[/quote]

Thus, fuel savings can be significant also in the F1. Here you agree. Surely a 750 cc engine probably quite a few pounds it weighs less.
Also the Reciprocating mass and forth would be smaller, which also must give as a result of fuel economy and new funds...

Andrew :D

xpensive
xpensive

rjsa wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:
xpensive wrote: Nowadays fuel efficiency is the most important development objective in the vast majority of automotive markets. If F1 refuses to pursue an aggressive approach to fuel efficiency there is no surprise that there is no enthusiasm to spend a fortune to race there.
Oh please, someone have messed up the quote function again, not me this time, that quote is from WB!

@ WB, in order to reduce the Cv from 0.95 to 0.5 (47%!!!), I doubt if taking off the wings completely is enough. A decent sportscar is in the range of 0.4, while gurneyflap.com used to have such numbers but I don't seem to find it right now.

WhiteBlue

rjsa wrote:F1 never pursued any auto industry objective. Never.
Sorry man, I have to oppose you. We have a 100+ year history of GP racing which streches much beyond F1 and there have been plenty of times when the auto manufacturers could show their competence in the competition. It appears that you either are too young or of bad memory to know that. Nobody profits if F1 evolves into an arcane art of earth bound aircraft without relation to the wheels people buy for transport. Just answer one question! Why should F1 suffer if the efficiency of the chassis and power train gets the same or higher priorities as the useless game of ever new aero configuration that serve no purpose.

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:@ WB, in order to reduce the Cv from 0.95 to 0.5 (47%!!!), I doubt if taking off the wings completely is enough.
I haven't invented those figures. They were reported by Adam Parr if I remember right when FOTA decided to abort the tunnels for 2013. So they are kind of official. Btw, they agreed to try and get it down to 0.7 with a conventional stepped floor, but it is still a shame IMO.