McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bot6
bot6

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

I am amazed at those suspension mounts... Wafer thin wishbones, flexing mounts, all of it optimized both structurally and aerodynamically. The accordeon shape of the steering rod mount is interesting too.

I work in yacht racing, a field where a lot of high end carbon parts are manufactured everyday, but the workmanship of those F1 guys is something else...

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Do you think the fillet type blending cover at the control arm to body interface if compliant?

How found it be attached?

Brian

furious_g
furious_g

Owen.C93 wrote: Image
I might be seeing things, but is the trailing edge of at least some of those wishbones squared off, possibly a kamm-tail design?

ianwit
ianwit

They certainly are works of art, bodes well for the old adage 'if it looks good'.
Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.

SiLo

I want that sitting in my lounge! So beautiful.
Felipe Baby!

keoxiv
keoxiv

hmm.. just noted, that diffuser is coated with thermal barrier again:
Spending your life waiting for the messiah to come save the world is like waiting around for the straight piece to come in Tetris. Even if it comes, by that time you've accumulated a mountain of $hit so high that you're %ucked up no matter what you do...

scarlet
scarlet

Could be for a more agressive/hotter engine mapping for qualifying?

SiLo

Maybe the exhausts are blowing slightly more over the diffuser than under it.
Felipe Baby!

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

I find it interesting they havn't fully covered the exhaust here, whether their exhaust temps are running too hot for a cover to withstand, or maybe perhaps they are running very aggressive overrun, causing more exhaust temp compared to that of the RedBull, Ferrari, Torro Rossa?

Infact a quick search, as the Mercedes works team arnt running a similar system this cant be definitive, but the Force India are also running a fully exposed system?

Could this be proof that the Mercedes unit is infact running hotter exhaust temps compared to the Ferrari and Renault units?
Perhaps they have to run extra overrun to achieve similar exhaust volumes. just food for thought
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

kalinka
kalinka

That Force India solution looks ugly. Even McLaren's first attempt at Asutralia was better.
Maybe that coating is there because of the slow nature of Monaco circuit. They have very little opportunities between slow corners to cool it down by fresh air, and probably there are a lot more EBD situations than on other tracks. Slow corners in-out. It's a constant "accelerate and then overrun" circuit.

sriraj1031
sriraj1031

kalinka wrote:That Force India solution looks ugly. Even McLaren's first attempt at Asutralia was better.
Can you please elaborate whats so ugly about it and please post comparison pics between the two to call it ugly

HampusA

What looks good is individual. I personally think Maccas looks more tidy and clean. If it´s more effective i have no idea.

Regarding the suspension pic here, I´ve noticed that Maccas and Saubers car has an extra hole in the bodywork. What is that for really?
It might be visible on other cars but those are the two i´ve noticed it on.
The truth will come out...

peroa
peroa

Nose quick release?
Easy on the Appletini!

ringo

Robbobnob wrote:Image

I find it interesting they havn't fully covered the exhaust here, whether their exhaust temps are running too hot for a cover to withstand, or maybe perhaps they are running very aggressive overrun, causing more exhaust temp compared to that of the RedBull, Ferrari, Torro Rossa?

Infact a quick search, as the Mercedes works team arnt running a similar system this cant be definitive, but the Force India are also running a fully exposed system?

Could this be proof that the Mercedes unit is infact running hotter exhaust temps compared to the Ferrari and Renault units?
Perhaps they have to run extra overrun to achieve similar exhaust volumes. just food for thought

You can't come to that conclusion so quickly.
Thinner exhaust sidewalls can warrant exposing them to cooling air.
The engines exhaust in a very close temperature range.
For Sure!!

Richied76
Richied76

i would hazard a guess to say that putting a carbon cover would just be adding weight into areas where you dont want it. with the added effect of cooling. Suprised no one notised how the winglets on the brake ducts also have a thermal coating....exhaust blowing onto unsprung parts of the car will no doubt have a positive effect of generating DF. May explain a stiff car also as you dont want the flow of exhaust gas flow moving up and down over the winglet and causing a twitchy rear end