Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dren

Re: Mercedes GP W02

PhillipM wrote:Heave spring and anti-roll bar, the combination of movement in the two allows you to get rid of the usual corner springs.
I'm not really up on suspension dynamics. How does this help/hurt rear end traction and tire wear? I'm assuming it'll help soften the rear and aid with traction, but it might work the tires too hard?
Honda!

Boost
Boost

xpensive wrote:Actually, I have this feeling that RB might not be totally at sea with his statement for 2012, even if it rings a little funny, but if he can forge a close liasion with Bob Bell and MSC, they could actually get their act together as a team.

Remember that Bell's 2005-06 chassis beat Rory Byrne's cars fair and squre, though with a little help form Michelin, and if he's allowed to focus on 2012 without disturbance from Stuttgart, with the Mercedes engine, he should get it right.
I also remember that the '05 Renault was by no means the fastest car on the grid either. It was just that under the rules of the time reliability was just as important as outright speed and the McL had a tendency to self destruct.

marcush.
marcush.

sure brawns statement about the car being harder on the rears is hinting at them having a strength at tracks wich are not so heavy in terms of traction but tend to eat away the front tyres.
I think again they have not hit the nail with their suspension layout.pull or push you need to be able to find a good mechanical balance and in a world of aero upgrades a balance shift seems inevitable for each step as I feel it is impossible to make gains front and rear at the same rate for all speed and cornering cases.With the weight distribution fixed it leaves you with diff and brakebalance and maybe a bit of engine mapping but the big balancing has to be provided by suspension tweaks or you have to leave a lot of potential on the plate /make do with an unbalanced car that eats the fronts or the rears.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

So which tracks will favour the W02 then?

Trying to think of which tracks are similar to that of China.
More could have been done.
David Purley

xpensive
xpensive

Personally, I think the rear tire problems are coming from that over-powered engine, if they switch to McLaren-spec,
it would surely go away, what do you think JET? :idea:
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

beelsebob
beelsebob

xpensive wrote:Personally, I think the rear tire problems are coming from that over-powered engine, if they switch to McLaren-spec,
it would surely go away, what do you think JET? :idea:
You think McLaren get inferior engines from Mercedes?

HampusA

It´s the same engine as Mclaren, Force India.
I think it´s even Mclaren own ECU that all teams have right?
The truth will come out...

HampusA

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:So which tracks will favour the W02 then?

Trying to think of which tracks are similar to that of China.
SPA might be a good one.
The truth will come out...

xpensive
xpensive

HampusA wrote:It´s the same engine as Mclaren, Force India.
Oh no Humbert, see after dynotest HPE is shipping the top engines to MGP, I hear they can differ as much as 50 Hp.

wesley123
wesley123

xpensive wrote:
HampusA wrote:It´s the same engine as Mclaren, Force India.
Oh no Humbert, see after dynotest HPE is shipping the top engines to MGP, I hear they can differ as much as 50 Hp.
Dont you think that tha quality difference is a bit over the top? Apart from that, I dont think McLaren likes it, when you think this buy out was done under the McLaren contract. That FI gets the lesser engines I can understnad that, but McLaren no, even when you see that McLaren is pretty close to Red Bull Mercedes would be shooting themselves in the foot with this, 50hp is a huge amount.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

xpensive
xpensive

Of course, I hear that both Ron and Mallya are furious, but on the other hand, they get to save their rear Pirellis?

beelsebob
beelsebob

xpensive wrote:Of course, I hear that both Ron and Mallya are furious, but on the other hand, they get to save their rear Pirellis?
The engine homologation rules require all engines to be identical to the one Mercedes supplied to the FIA in March '08. All engines are required to be delivered to the FIA, tested to check that they are indeed identical, and then forwarded to teams. Mercedes do not have a more powerful engine than either FI or McL. The only exception to this that I know of is that last year Ferrari were given special dispensation to fix their broken design and not pass on the fixes to Sauber.

wesley123
wesley123

xpensive wrote:Of course, I hear that both Ron and Mallya are furious, but on the other hand, they get to save their rear Pirellis?
Mercedes are the only one having this problem, so unless their engines are 50hp more powerful then the rest of the grid I do not think it is in any way true.

And if true, makes you think how shitty the car really has to be, as 50hp is a lot. The mercedes was rated to have 10hp more then he ferrari was it? Mercedes was rated at 760hp, ferrari 750 and renault at 740 hp. with this that will mean that the Mercedes of the works car would have around 810hp or the others would have around 710hp, that is a huge disadvantage. or huge avantage for mercedes, nor they both really show that they have the power gain/loss
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

xpensive
xpensive

It's quite simple, should be even for Hump, everything mechanical has a stocastic performance relation, typically by a normal distribution. If you build 200 engines and dynotest them, you get a bell-curve and you are able to pick the best.

Surely Ferrari and Renault are doing the same?

beelsebob
beelsebob

xpensive wrote:It's quite simple, should be even for Hump, everything mechanical has a stocastic performance relation, typically by a normal distribution. If you build 200 engines and dynotest them, you get a bell-curve and you are able to pick the best.

Surely Ferrari and Renault are doing the same?
If you build 200 engines and hand them to the FIA as per homologation, how do you expect to get back the ones you wanted?