Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SiLo

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

HampusA wrote:The reason water get´s spherical.. Isn´t that simply down to our atmosphere pulling it together?
And really not because it´s the most efficient aero solution? (even though it might be, i don´t know)
The water tension in the water would do that itself, also, the atmosphere would squash the water into a shape, not necessarily a sphere, but because the water tension is equal at all the points, it forms a sphere.

Back on topic, I would really love to see how they have arranged everything underneath those sidepods, they are just crazy small and it almost doesn't make sense!
Felipe Baby!

PlatinumZealot

I think they are marginal on the radiator size. I think cooling is compensated by a large radiator inlet openings and fuel over-run - along with special coatings inside the engine.

At least, it's fair to say this judging by the small size of the renault R31 radiators.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

beelsebob
beelsebob

n smikle wrote:
SiLo wrote:
HampusA wrote:The reason water get´s spherical.. Isn´t that simply down to our atmosphere pulling it together?
And really not because it´s the most efficient aero solution? (even though it might be, i don´t know)
The water tension in the water would do that itself, also, the atmosphere would squash the water into a shape, not necessarily a sphere, but because the water tension is equal at all the points, it forms a sphere.

Back on topic, I would really love to see how they have arranged everything underneath those sidepods, they are just crazy small and it almost doesn't make sense!
I think they are marginal on the radiator size. I think cooling is compensated by a large radiator inlet openings and fuel over-run - along with special coatings inside the engine.
Where marginal is defined as "not enough to cool the KERS battery too – my guess is this is what is meant by newey not compromising his aero design for KERS – it's not that there's not room for the parts, it's that there isn't enough cooling, and he doesn't want to make the sidepods longer.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Something does not add up with the RB KERS problem.

1) The KERS system does not take take much cooling unless you put your batteries in the hottest location in the car. The cooling drag can not be anything close to the 80 HP boost.

2) Why would they not put the batteries behind the driver/fuel cell like everyone else if side pod real estate is that important to them.

Obviously the compromise works, but why?

Brian

beelsebob
beelsebob

hardingfv32 wrote:Something does not add up with the RB KERS problem.

1) The KERS system does not take take much cooling unless you put your batteries in the hottest location in the car.
Wrong – batteries get extremely hot, and operate very poorly at high temperatures. They need a lot of cooling.
The cooling drag can not be anything close to the 80 HP boost.
But the loss of downforce from disturbing the air to the rear wing, and the drag combined, plausibly are.

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

To add further, depending on the battery Voltage, (lets assume it is greater than 12V but less than 100) the current employed in the system will be quite considerable, and high current creates high temperatures.

Possibly Red Bull opt to place the batteries in that space because of their fuel tank positioning and for COG benefits, (the battery cell is below the step plane)
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Credit: http://twitpic.com/57snf2
Interesting ducts near the rear, you can see them in the image below as well. I think they might be giving a bit of air flow to the starter motor hole. Not sure really. Do we have any images of the underside?

EDIT: Ugh the top image didn't embed. Rehosted.
Last edited by Owen.C93 on 06 Jun 2011, 17:26, edited 2 times in total.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

gibells
gibells

Thanks @JeanBaptiste76 via Scarb's twitter

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

I assume you're referring to the ducts in the floor, angling towards the center of the diffuser box area. It does look like they are trying to introduce whatever airflow they car through the starter hole regulation "loophole". It just doesn't seem like they would get much charged airflow in that section of the floor UNLESS it was tied to a cooling exit which might run through the sidepod as a free flowing duct .. said to cool the KERS or some such thing. If that's the case it would make a nice little boost.

However one thing I would like to call out, since this a good pic along with the floor pic above, is that I'm a little surprised that the vented/slotted gurneys in this iteration (well they started as gurneys) are legal. In the initial implementations earlier this year on other cars (I seem to remember Williams coming up with it but Renault had them early as well) they were simple slots said to reduce drag, however these Newey versions are really all about injecting highly charged airflow at the exit top of the diffuser box, which now curves up to tie diffuser exit airflow to the slot exit. It's all quite nicely shaped to make the most of it all, kind of like a small two element wing. Now, and without too much imagination, it could be called a double deck diffuser as it exists now ..

The level of refinement is just stunning!

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Why the hole/void after the front bib?

You can see the exact shape of the concave diffuser.

Brian

PlatinumZealot

beelsebob wrote: Where marginal is defined as "not enough to cool the KERS battery too – my guess is this is what is meant by newey not compromising his aero design for KERS – it's not that there's not room for the parts, it's that there isn't enough cooling, and he doesn't want to make the sidepods longer.
HOOLD on... I was refering to the water radiators. That takes up the most space in the sidepod. KERS oil cooling radiator is not that big. And I think KERS radiators size is not the reason for REdBull problems.. It's so easy to make the cooling core bigger. It must be some other reason.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Those ducts either side of the gearbox are definitely feeding the starter hole. You can see the starter connection to the gaerbox and then the ducts going past it. This seems to be a more detailed version of the effect that McLaren are looking for with their shaping in this area. Sadly not the best picture but it shows the area.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

marcush.
marcush.

n smikle wrote:
beelsebob wrote: Where marginal is defined as "not enough to cool the KERS battery too – my guess is this is what is meant by newey not compromising his aero design for KERS – it's not that there's not room for the parts, it's that there isn't enough cooling, and he doesn't want to make the sidepods longer.
HOOLD on... I was refering to the water radiators. That takes up the most space in the sidepod. KERS oil cooling radiator is not that big. And I think KERS radiators size is not the reason for REdBull problems.. It's so easy to make the cooling core bigger. It must be some other reason.
The batteries have enough trouble to charge and discharge in the required time .You put your electronics and batteries into an area with the lowest possible temps to avoid early failure.So putting them into the downstream air of radiators /oilcoolers and exhaust pipes will undoubtedly create a very critical environment....you are flirting with disaster .the usual below the fueltank space is heating up considerably slower so your main concern will be the waste energy of the batts .?

Are you sure they are cooling their batts with oil ?Why that ?

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

Brilliant interview with Newey in the June Edition of the Red Bulletin

Thought you guys would be interested
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Robbobnob wrote:Brilliant interview with Newey in the June Edition of the Red Bulletin

Thought you guys would be interested
Do you have a link? I cannot find it ..