Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: Mercedes GP W02

PhillipM wrote:
xpensive wrote: @ Belsebub;
Obviously the standard deviation plays it's part, all I was saying is that a +/- 5% varianse would be nothing spectacular on a mechanical contraption such as an F1 engine?
You can made a clockwork watch with hundreds of tiny little springs and cogs accurate to better than 99.998% these days.

I'd be surprised if there's more than 1% between the engines on a dyno. Installed in the cars may be a different matter, obviously.
Agreed. Completely.

Giblet
Giblet

This is a thread about the W02. Engine discussions are elsewhere.

We are having squirrel issues, the Merc thread needs a temporary lock.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Giblet
Giblet

aaaaaaaand we're back.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Hallelujah brothers!

Redemption for those who go off topic! :lol: Many thanks Giblet.

Right where to start.
AMuS has it that the Exhaust war is set to heat up. Mercedes are due to experiment with a "new" setting, so could be for all 3 Mercedes powered teams...although my little birdie tells me this is something related to the W02.
FEE anyone? :wink:

Then we have Mercedes being the only one of the top teams not to blow the starter motor hole. Will this not have an adverse effect on the rear tyre wear? Being blown from the sides as Mercedes are doing at present does not allow for effective starter hole blowing.

The more you look at the current arrangement the more you see Mercedes stand alot to gain by changing.
More could have been done.
David Purley

scarbs
scarbs

Weird, I've heard a rumour their overrun engine map can be activated by a foot pedal! I assume there's a split brake pedal that can be used solely as a brake pedal and with the foot moved slightly act as both a brake and overrun map trigger.

If they still use their DRS pedal thats four pedals!

Byronrhys

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Hallelujah brothers!

Redemption for those who go off topic! :lol: Many thanks Giblet.

Right where to start.
AMuS has it that the Exhaust war is set to heat up. Mercedes are due to experiment with a "new" setting, so could be for all 3 Mercedes powered teams...although my little birdie tells me this is something related to the W02.
FEE anyone? :wink:

Then we have Mercedes being the only one of the top teams not to blow the starter motor hole. Will this not have an adverse effect on the rear tyre wear? Being blown from the sides as Mercedes are doing at present does not allow for effective starter hole blowing.

The more you look at the current arrangement the more you see Mercedes stand alot to gain by changing
Noooo, I actually think they have a great chance now after seeing Red Bulls floor, there exhaust layout is great for what would be blowing exhaust gases both over and into the diffuser starter motor hole through the ducts the rb7 have, and could help them gain some good downforce in the rear if there gearbox layout allows for it that is... I think they should scrap the FEE not worth it in my opinion.

aral
aral

scarbs wrote:Weird, I've heard a rumour their overrun engine map can be activated by a foot pedal! I assume there's a split brake pedal that can be used solely as a brake pedal and with the foot moved slightly act as both a brake and overrun map trigger.

If they still use their DRS pedal thats four pedals!
Now, THAT would be against the rules, as it would be outside inteference with the ecu mapping.

The Mclarens, using the same Mercedes engine, are able to run the required mapping, so it is a problem that only the Mercedes team are having.

mep

Ahh finally this topic is reopened.
Sorry mods but I have to give my anger some room here.
I know you don’t like it. I do it just once and don't want to go to much off topic.

As you know I went to Monaco GP and the performance from Mercedes was really disappointing. Rosberg was hardly able to catch up one of the Lotus cars and they are really poor. And then all those things not working. Schumachers car not getting of the line and then suddenly stopping. Well for one a half years now we always hear what hasn't worked and stupid explanations after the race. Blown rear wing not working (well they never had one), DRS not working, to less fuel, Kers, airbox fire, to less time, to less money, the other kid has thrown sand in my eyes ....
Hey guys its over now. This race was disastrous even so that this track was best fitted for the car. There is no excuse other that this team is unable to do anything. Except Nobi telling lies to the fans. I wonder If they took their engineers from the Mercedes truck department because thats how it behaves on track. All other cars row up behind it and want to pass. Serious consequenses has to be taken right now. Ferrari already did degrade 2 of their engineers. Some of the Mercedes chairs should really be under fire now including Nobi Haug’s.
Last edited by Giblet on 09 Jun 2011, 21:46, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: No need for swearing hoever, and no need to bash the car. THis thread is for development talk, including poor developments. It's a group of people trying to make a fast car, nothing more nothing less. It doesn't need to be emotional :/

3one
3one

The strange thing is that there's aren't any news on mercs upgrade package for Canada... Seems they are covering the upgrade tightly... FEE you think?

Rikhart
Rikhart

What upgrade? There isn´t any indication they have anything to be introduced soon, after their "major package" at Barcelona.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Edit:

Had think, and yes the proposed Merc system would give some bonuses....
More could have been done.
David Purley

Ferraripilot

Yeah, what upgrades? I thought Williams were the only team bringing a good amount of new gear this weekend. I suppose we will see tomorrow.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

I believe there is a rule that you can only change engine maps once a lap maybe. I know teams are stuck to their launch map for the whole of the first lap.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

PlatinumZealot

mep wrote:Ahh finally this topic is reopened.
Sorry mods but I have to give my anger some room here.
I know you don’t like it. I do it just once and don't want to go to much off topic.

As you know I went to Monaco GP and the performance from Mercedes was really disappointing. Rosberg was hardly able to catch up one of the Lotus cars and they are really poor. And then all those things not working. Schumachers car not getting of the line and then suddenly stopping. Well for one a half years now we always hear what hasn't worked and stupid explanations after the race. Blown rear wing not working (well they never had one), DRS not working, to less fuel, Kers, airbox fire, to less time, to less money, the other kid has thrown sand in my eyes ....
Hey guys its over now. This race was disastrous even so that this track was best fitted for the car. There is no excuse other that this team is unable to do anything. Except Nobi telling lies to the fans. I wonder If they took their engineers from the Mercedes truck department because thats how it behaves on track. All other cars row up behind it and want to pass. Serious consequenses has to be taken right now. Ferrari already did degrade 2 of their engineers. Some of the Mercedes chairs should really be under fire now including Nobi Haug’s.
That is why I said Ross Brawn is overrated. He only looked good because those Bennetons and Ferrari's were rocketships right off the drawing board. Even Sarah Palin could direct those teams/cars to those WCC's.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

xpensive
xpensive

@mep:

I think this weekend's race will be a strong indication of what the W02 is capable of, Montreal is a true power-track and if they can't bring home a decent result from there, they might just write off this season and focus on 2012 or even 2013.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"