McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
godlameroso

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

There to bleed off pressure building in the chassis.
Saishū kōnā

aral
aral

richard_leeds wrote:They would have put more air into them to compensate for the fact that they were cold and never going to get to full temp.
Don't they use nitrogen in the tyres, and this is less subject to pressure changes through heat?

Richard
Richard

Re gasses in tyres :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10131

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

boyracer94 wrote:Yes, I believe they were added early in the season/late testing.
Ah right. Hadn't spotted them before. I know they had something similar last year.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

MikeFromCanada

EDIT: Post can be deleted, furthered discussion in another thread :)
Last edited by MikeFromCanada on 09 Jun 2011, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.

raymondu999

It's got a thread of it's own :wink:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8250
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

No sign of lowdownforce wings yet.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

raymondu999

*slightly* off topic here, but IIRC last year in Canada so many teams were afraid of graining due to slipping/sliding that they slapped barn door wings on. And McLaren did that too, plus they had the f-duct so just slammed on massive wings for the added downforce.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

raymondu999 wrote:*slightly* off topic here, but IIRC last year in Canada so many teams were afraid of graining due to slipping/sliding that they slapped barn door wings on. And McLaren did that too, plus they had the f-duct so just slammed on massive wings for the added downforce.
Except Lewis didn't. Although that may have not been the best decision.

I would be surprised not to see a low downforce package from McLaren though.

PlatinumZealot

Maybe with the U shaped side pods they don't need one.. I am thinking they loved their drag reducing F-duct idea so much that the designers of the car pushed the U-pod Idea through. It is almost like permanent drag reduction, you can crank up the wings and not face the drag penalty.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

n smikle wrote:Maybe with the U shaped side pods they don't need one.. I am thinking they loved their drag reducing F-duct idea so much that the designers of the car pushed the U-pod Idea through. It is almost like permanent drag reduction, you can crank up the wings and not face the drag penalty.
I don't think so, they stand to lose just as much drag as anyone else with a different FW & RW. Although their standard car may have less drag.

PlatinumZealot

Maybe.. we will just have to see as the weekend goes on.

I also notice that they have a high downforce diffuser on too. They usually use those big gurnerys on high DF tracks. :-k
Last edited by PlatinumZealot on 10 Jun 2011, 02:30, edited 1 time in total.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

bill shoe
bill shoe

raymondu999 wrote:*slightly* off topic here, but IIRC last year in Canada so many teams were afraid of graining due to slipping/sliding that they slapped barn door wings on. And McLaren did that too, plus they had the f-duct so just slammed on massive wings for the added downforce.
I was also suprised by the large size of McLaren's Canada wing and especially by the large flap (large flaps have smaller angle change during DRS operation and therefore less drag reduction, this has been extensively discussed elsewhere).

I think your comments are dead on-- McLaren will be giving up qualy pace (straight-line speed) in order to gain race-pace via longer stints on softer tires with less slip/wear.

Thanks to your insight there is an interesting strategic plot-line to follow this weekend. Fantastic. =D> =D>

beelsebob
beelsebob

bill shoe wrote:
I was also suprised by the large size of McLaren's Canada wing and especially by the large flap (large flaps have smaller angle change during DRS operation and therefore less drag reduction, this has been extensively discussed elsewhere).
This keeps getting bandied about, I'm honestly not as convinced by the logic as other people seem to be...
1) Yes, the AoA of the open wing is steeper, but so is the AoA of the closed wing – which one creates relatively more drag than the shorter wing? Why?
2) The slot is the same size. From the really dumb simplistic model of air resistance that says that it has the same absolute reduction in surface area hitting the air, so has the same reduction.
I think your comments are dead on-- McLaren will be giving up qualy pace (straight-line speed) in order to gain race-pace via longer stints on softer tires with less slip/wear.
I really doubt anyone will go the way of a barn door this year – with 2 epically long DRS zones basically covering half the distance of the track you really want your gear ratios set up for very high speeds, and your aero with it.

Giblet
Giblet

Verizon?

How does that work, with team Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes?

EDIT: Forget it , they own 45% of Verizon and since there is no Vodafone in Canada or the US, it's Verizon.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute