Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Tozza Mazza

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Last edited by Steven on 11 Jun 2011, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed "funny" reference to Haug (and replies)

dren

I read the car will have a rear suspension "fix" for the tire degredation issues to try out today in FP1.

I am going to say there will be no FEE...ever...on the W02.
Honda!

Ferraripilot

Schu's comments regarding the timeframe it takes to do such things makes all the sense in the world and it's certainly something we've all known but rarely talked about. As much as we wanted W02 to be amazingly successful, statistically the odds were against them as the F1 r&d curve takes a while without a major DDD innovation or the like. Also, MB is doing something different with W02. If they eventually pull this off, teams will scratch their collective heads for a good couple of seasons before they either copy what they are doing or innovate their own idea and begin the process over.

dren

Ferraripilot wrote:Schu's comments regarding the timeframe it takes to do such things makes all the sense in the world and it's certainly something we've all known but rarely talked about. As much as we wanted W02 to be amazingly successful, statistically the odds were against them as the F1 r&d curve takes a while without a major DDD innovation or the like. Also, MB is doing something different with W02. If they eventually pull this off, teams will scratch their collective heads for a good couple of seasons before they either copy what they are doing or innovate their own idea and begin the process over.
I agree, the cooling solution is certainly innovative. We'll see if that pays off in the end. It looks like the car has serious pace compared to last years car, which seemed so/so, they just can't get through the issues with the W02 yet. If the car was bang on from day 1, I would expect them to be challenging for podiums now, like the team talked about early on.

We'll see how they look in Canada soon enough. If they put on a good show, there will be hope for Monza and Spa.
Honda!

xpensive
xpensive

However patience is hardly an abundant quality in the Formula 1 world, but the seven time world champion is calling on those critical to be patient.

“We are in the process of building something new. I am sure that Ross and I know how things are built internally and the approach of this team is in the right direction,” said 42-year-old Schumacher.

“It takes time. Red Bull needed four or five years. With Ferrari that period lasted for five years. We can not play with some magic and do it in half a year,” said the seven times F1 World Champion.

Such goobeligook! In MS' first Ferrari season, 1996, still without his "dream-team" backup, he won three races, had four poles and was third in the standings. The second season he won five races, had four poles and finished second in total.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

JohnsonsEvilTwin

so far as I know X, they also had 200 million to win those 3 races with and 35 years more know how.....
More could have been done.
David Purley

Nickel
Nickel

Not to be a jerk xpensive, but I'm pretty sure he cannot claim to have finished 2nd in the '97 season, having been completely removed from the driver's standings.

xpensive
xpensive

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:so far as I know X, they also had 200 million to win those 3 races with and 35 years more know how.....
Point is JET, that MS and Ferrai were winning right off the bat, even with Barnard's brick of a car, why the talk of five years to get into contention is utter rubbish. If Hill had won the Hungarian GP in 97 as he should, MS would surely have been WDC.

@ Nickel; So don't.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

They had all of ooooooo Williams to beat? Mclaren where in the Doldrums and who else was there?
Jordan? Arrows?
David Purley

xpensive
xpensive

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:They had all of ooooooo Williams to beat? Mclaren where in the Doldrums and who else was there?
Jordan? Arrows?
And today they have ooooooo Red Bull to beat, with the same designer as in 1996-97, you think they are any closer now?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Mclaren have better race pace then red Bull - Paddy Lowe

Ferrari hustling Red Bull round Monaco and their overall pace has improved dramatically since race 4.
We have a cast iron top 3, comparisons to '96 and Ferrari to Mercedes and today is chalk and cheese.
David Purley

Ferraripilot

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote: We have a cast iron top 3, comparisons to '96 and Ferrari to Mercedes and today is chalk and cheese.

So so true. Current conditions are very different compared to then.

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

Asymetrical sidepost ?? Or maybe it's the perspective ?

Tozza Mazza

Nico was hot in the cockpit today. Could this be a FEE solution causing this? They are saying that they have a new exhaust layout so :?:

marcush.
marcush.

No Mep ,I don´t blame the track engineers.Not at all.
My view is that Mercedes is a complete loss in simulation and prediction of car behaviour.
With the limited running in season You are very unlikely to find optimum solutions on the track ..so no trackside engineer can really work out a complete car setup.
i feel the base information is proceeded wrongly and this results in a slow car at the startz of the weekend .

We did not realise -because Mercedes /Brawn worked on low fuel setup in FP1/2 as admitted by them .In consequence you look better as you are early on because of the weight advantage.But setting up the car on low fuel is resulting in nothing good for the whole race ....so you throw away valuable setup time to please the board and feed the journos.

look at Canada Rosberg quickest by a huge margin...would anyone think this is not Fuel? It was a gift to those who had the knife already in hand nothing else.

As for the car ,my opinion is very clear:Both drivers say the car is a lot better than last year but look at the times but this does not show on the timesheets.

We would love to see visually dramatic changes ,but I think that would be counterproductive ,as the trackengineers would have another additional job in evaluating new components in those FP1 and 2 sessions robbing them of valuable time to find direction for race setup.
t€o me the whole upgrade development story is a myth .As soon as your levels of improvement are microscopic you can get lost very quickly as your experiment is no repeatability with all the variables involved.

Rosberg was sensational here last year as well ..so the track seems to suit him .