Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: Mercedes GP W02

ringo wrote:
dren wrote:Image
That's a cooling hole. The radiator layout is not very efficient it seems.
The air speed at the bottom is to slow or too low a pressure, so the bust a hole through it and duct it to spupply more air from else where.

I wont be surpised to see cooling hoes by the splitter keel or behind the barge boards.
Here is another take on what that thing could be. I don't have a good view to confirm it but it could be something like this:

The chimney on top of the side pod near the turning vane is releaseing rejected heatfrom a KERS cooler, or it if we take out the KERS cooler and place the pipe behind the lower radiatior, it could be an extra side pod exhuast.
Either way it is a cooling solution.
For Sure!!

munudeges
munudeges

xpensive wrote:Such goobeligook! In MS' first Ferrari season, 1996, still without his "dream-team" backup, he won three races, had four poles and was third in the standings. The second season he won five races, had four poles and finished second in total.
He, he, he.... I see little has changed. Yes X, it's pretty obvious that this is nonsense because Schumacher never joined the team expecting to wait for or five years to win, nor will he be around in four or five years. It's still most amusing to me how many love to perpetuate the silly myth that Mercedes is a team that appeared out of nowhere at the beginning of last season. I wonder why........... But, whatever makes people happy.

Anyway, I see you tackled the taboo subject of the Mercedes engines and just how much they're giving to a car's performance. You should know by now you can't talk about that. It is most curious, is it not, how much drag the car has with cooling gills and various other aerodynamic inefficiencies and the kind of kph advantage they still seem to have even over McLaren and Force India? A little subjective, but it's a good job you didn't have any hard figures for it otherwise several tons of bricks would have fallen on you.

munudeges
munudeges

siskue2005 wrote:Ferrari with 2 element front wing since Monaco, two weeks back i thought it was one off, but they have it here as well!

Where are the people who said Merc wing is basic and unevolved
Not a terribly great example really because Ferrari have been struggling for downforce this season. They also did a similar thing last season as well where they had two element and three element wings for evaluation on Fridays and couldn't seem to decide what to pick.

xpensive
xpensive

And welcome to you munudeges, surely we will get along fine you and I, just as I used to with your backwards cousin?

On the taboo subject however, I did indeed have a ton of bricks coming down on me for even raising the issue.

Speaking of bricks, I don't think you need a Phd in fluid dynamics to judge the W02 as one, do you now?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

JohnsonsEvilTwin

So Mercedes and Ferrari must be incompetent....

Those guys really dont have a clue.

Why do they bother turning up?

On to matters technical.......!
More could have been done.
David Purley

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Ringo

"That's a cooling hole. The radiator layout is not very efficient it seems."

Can you indicate where the hole is that you are talking about.

"Here is another take on what that thing could be. I don't have a good view to confirm it but it could be something like this:"

The turning vane is very thin, I would think it would be foam filled for strength. It also seems to have a closed top. Interesting idea none the less.

Brian

mep

What you call coolant tube in your picture or the horizontal carbon tube running in front of the radiator on the Mercedes picture is possible just the side crash structure.

Ferraripilot

Wondering how Schu lost 'drive' out of turn 4 for a moment. Engine not responding I wonder? With him being only .050 down from Nico today, this 'drive' issue sounds like where the time went. Great lap otherwise. Higher top speeds and sharper turn-in than Nico as usual.

Anyone know more about this 'drive' issued with W02? Temporary drive-by-wire fault perhaps?

LionKing
LionKing

Ferraripilot wrote:Wondering how Schu lost 'drive' out of turn 4 for a moment. Engine not responding I wonder? With him being only .050 down from Nico today, this 'drive' issue sounds like where the time went. Great lap otherwise. Higher top speeds and sharper turn-in than Nico as usual.

Anyone know more about this 'drive' issued with W02? Temporary drive-by-wire fault perhaps?
Schumi lost 0.05 sec on the last sector, other sectors are almost the same time between two.

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

And this tiny difference shows that the car can't provide more.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

Ferraripilot

LionKing wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote:Wondering how Schu lost 'drive' out of turn 4 for a moment. Engine not responding I wonder? With him being only .050 down from Nico today, this 'drive' issue sounds like where the time went. Great lap otherwise. Higher top speeds and sharper turn-in than Nico as usual.

Schumi lost 0.05 sec on the last sector, other sectors are almost the same time between two.

Yes the other sectors were the same, but the S1 time could have been quicker due to this issue is what I am saying. Still wondering what the fault code was.

LionKing
LionKing

Ferraripilot wrote:
LionKing wrote:

Yes the other sectors were the same, but the S1 time could have been quicker due to this issue is what I am saying. Still wondering what the fault code was.
Yep, he could have been. I hope that Micheal has a good trouble free race tomorrow. He should go well in Canada...

yener

Like always, there rear tires lose there grip before lap 8 and they will lose time and places after that.

They didn't update anything of there "mechanical problems". Just believe me, something is really wrong with there car.

They use al FP as testing. They give MS and NR a completly different setup in hope, they can get some information and knowledge. But they just can't fix the problem.

The news "concentrate on 2012 season" is bs. How can they fix there self on the coming season while the rules are not clear yet?
Maybe DRS will not be legal anymore, or kers will be forbidden.

They really mis someone creative at MGP. Like instance: someone who is creative enough to create flex wings which came out legal trough al FIA test.

The engine mapping is horrible compared to McLarens engine maps.

How sick is it to have engine heat problems after all those races and experienced people who work in there team?

Only solution; a big meeting with all the staf. Ask them what can they do to solve this problems. The one who answer; we need time to investigate or we don't know.
FIRE THEM.

Nico Rosberg is unbelieveable fast. And michael is not doing bad. The drivers can not be blamed for the bad results. The tyres can not be blamed. The aero "staff" and some of the mechanical technicians can be blamed for the poor results so far.

So i would say to them: GET THE F>CK out of here.

If all those people who work at MGP developing and desing for the theam even don't have a clue for solving the issue's they most work at GP2 or GP3 teams. Not for the MERCEDES f1 Team.
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

mike
mike

cars are designed to work at a certain horsepower im sure they know this before they started the project, things like maximum acceleration ability etc, hearing from the interviews they seems to have rear tire issues that could be the case that they have too much power at lower speeds that it cooks the tires and too much heat that they can not get rid off. and it also could be the case that they maybe running leaner than mclaren hence the cooling issues

bottom line, if you estimate something wrong it will cost you more than a whole season to fix and again...trouble with tires....like last season

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

mike wrote:cars are designed to work at a certain horsepower im sure they know this before they started the project, things like maximum acceleration ability etc, hearing from the interviews they seems to have rear tire issues that could be the case that they have too much power at lower speeds that it cooks the tires and too much heat that they can not get rid off. and it also could be the case that they maybe running leaner than mclaren hence the cooling issues

bottom line, if you estimate something wrong it will cost you more than a whole season to fix and again...trouble with tires....like last season
I don't think having too much power is the problem, for the simple reason that all cars have too much power at lower speeds. If you floor any single one of these cars at lower speeds and the appropriate gear, the tires will spin like a tumble dryer.

I think what you and most other people mean when you say too much power, is too much torque. And this can be reduced by using a higher gear ratio (not sure if this will help much though, because these babies have so much power they spin the wheels even if you lengthen, say first, to unpractical levels such as up to third) or just not using so much throttle at that specific speed. I know this first hand and the Pretoria metro police traffic fines department can verify this. :lol:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...