Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ben_watkins
ben_watkins

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

snap ESI!
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

ringo

Owen.C93 wrote:Just thought I'd post this since you can see how the duct goes to the starter hole.

All the teams are doing this. Not much of a benefit, but i guess every penny adds up.
That little slit that is the starter hole is pretty much a restriction to any real gains from wafting poor quality air through it.
The redbull solution looks more thought out than the others still.

It doesn't hurt to have it, but it's not their secret to their speed.
For Sure!!

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

kyniu

"What is the round thing he puts on the cockpit (2.25 minute)?"

I believe it is the safety harness central release/buckle unit. I have always seen it permanently attached to to one of the lap belt. Interesting observation.

Brian

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

ringo wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:Just thought I'd post this since you can see how the duct goes to the starter hole.

[img]http://www.formula1.com/wi/0x0/plain/su ... 16.jpg[img]
All the teams are doing this. Not much of a benefit, but i guess every penny adds up.
That little slit that is the starter hole is pretty much a restriction to any real gains from wafting poor quality air through it.
The redbull solution looks more thought out than the others still.

It doesn't hurt to have it, but it's not their secret to their speed.
Yeah the RB version is just a flat top with a duct to fill the hole beneath which has the starter hole. Other cars just don;t have the cover and have the top of the diffuser the inverse of the bottom.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

Always thought that their KERS system was under powered than the rest, as in Monaco and Barcelona when there was the on screen Graphics, It Seemed Vettel would never use his entire KERS boost per lap, always leaving the Last 1/4 or so.
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

PlatinumZealot

Webber's KERS screwed up again. What is really going on?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Neno
Neno

n smikle wrote:Webber's KERS screwed up again. What is really going on?
It's going on same thing for RBR what is happening in 2009 cars (Renault, Ferrari, Mclaren), KERS reliability. mclaren needed half of the season to make how will their system work efficient, ferrari same thing, but renault is giving up after 5-6 races. but this 3 teams had 2 years to solve all problems with KERS, that means 2 years of progress. Newey is perhaps an excellent engineer, but not the wizard and Red Bull do not want to attach the KERS as much attention as aerodynamics of the car.

godlameroso

If they increase the allowable KERS discharge by any amount next year, I have a feeling Red Bull will be left behind
Saishū kōnā

ringo

The KERS is probably still 80hp, but they only have 80hp for 2/3 the time of the other KERS teams.
I'd say it's a good compromise. The other third of the time, the redbull is on rails through the twisty stuff.
For Sure!!

speedsense
speedsense

If the KERS system when charging causes enough drive train drag that the brake bias has to be changed, I would sum up that the generators used are quite powerful to drag an engine enough to have to make that change. When you think of the power of the brakes in F1, the KERS unit causes a change enough that they have to have a bias change, to balance the braking. That's one powerful generator.
With an adjustable, driver controlled diff, meaning the power output (lock and unlock) per the diff ramps for each axle can be driver/team selected. And the spread percentage side to side is completely open.

You put the brake drag of the KERS and the adjustability (whatever we want the power shift to be) of the diff together, isn't it possible to cause a brake drag to outside wheel, by manualy turning on and off the KERS generator, and cause a "brake" drag to the outside powered wheel, only in this case under acceleration. Just like Newey did with the third brake pedal? A data log system could handle this operation at 1000's of a sec, and kill wheel spin..

In other words using KERS for traction control via the diff ramps/KERS and the teams selection of the ramp differences and having the charging system on/off in rapid concession during full acceleration. I would think this would be difficult to discover by tech and a perfect type of traction control, And as Newey would describe as more "problems with our blasted KERS system that we can never get to work", but as the time sheets show they don't need 80 more horse......
Really?...
And to add to this Magna Marelli is owned by Ferrari....more food for thought? Add traction control to an off handling car and you make it much better, same for a car that already handles well, just that much better... only in this case no retarded timing sounds or spark stoppage, just drag on the motor.. IMHO
"Driving a car as fast as possible (in a race) is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction." Peter Wright,Techical Director, Team Lotus

myurr
myurr

ringo wrote:The KERS is probably still 80hp, but they only have 80hp for 2/3 the time of the other KERS teams.
I'd say it's a good compromise. The other third of the time, the redbull is on rails through the twisty stuff.
That's not what they confirmed though. They confirmed it was 40kw vs the 60kw used by everyone else. They have roughly 53hp vs the 80hp everyone else uses.

This will presumably reduce the cooling required and the size of the battery packs, allowing them to package it more tightly.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Not only did Webber miss P3 with KERS but he also did not have KERS during qually, and I guess he won't during the race either. He'll lose to both McLarens at the start.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

How about that! RBR copying Ferrari for a change:

Giblet
Giblet

What was said on the qualifying by the announcer was that they have 60hp boost instead of 80, but its still for the same period of time, but there might be more to it, like the whole 'start kers' thing going around earlier in the season.

Also
Christian Horner wrote:
We know that the Mercedes system is a fairly well advanced one and they had the benefit of running it throughout 2009. We've gone for a different solution, its quite innovative.
Now to me a smaller battery is not innovative, that is merely a compromise and seems odd he would word it that way. I wonder if there is more to the KERS system than they let on. His body language when speaking had a 'thought pause' and little 'jump'. Anyone would call that a tick.

Could be nothing, but I have a feeling that KERS has an aspect to it we don't know about. I wonder if the KERS is used somehow to help turn the engine on overrun and allow more flow through the exhaust by getting the engine up to speed faster for downshifts.

I'm not as technical as most here, so my idea might not be rooted in reality.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Yes, innovative because it seems to only work for drivers with the last name of "Vettel". I'm sure that took a lot of engineering to make that happen.