McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Hangaku

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

n smikle wrote: Hamilton says the 7th gear is too Long. The car is drag limited and not to mention it's top speed is lower.

Too much wing then lol. I want to see how this works out tomorrow.
Interesting risk from McLaren, but looking more and more likely for rain in Canada in this years race, so might be worth it.

What of any other additions to the car at this point in the season? Anybody got any images? Seriously lacking ...
Yer.

Pierce89

n smikle wrote:8) Again You didn't read the post but I will redraw the graph to please you. I will change the red line and black line.

Which one do you think is higher in F1, Form drag or Induced drag? Tell me so I can redraw the graph.
Induced drag is probably higher in F1, but th point is that on an F1 car all the drag incrases with the square of speed, bluff drag or induced, so we don't need a misleading graph seperating them and implying some sort of nonexistent difference in the way they build with speed.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

SiLo

I think they will do OK in the race if it is dry, and if the race is wet, they should be sorted. I think they don't have the pace because they are leaning more towards a wet setup than a dry, or made a compromise, which obviously affected the car. Personally I would of gone for a dry setup and maximised qualifying, because both drivers are very adept in the wet.
Felipe Baby!

ianwit
ianwit

SiLo wrote:I think they will do OK in the race if it is dry, and if the race is wet, they should be sorted. I think they don't have the pace because they are leaning more towards a wet setup than a dry, or made a compromise, which obviously affected the car. Personally I would of gone for a dry setup and maximised qualifying, because both drivers are very adept in the wet.
Good call I have been practising the rain dance :mrgreen:
Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.

Pierce89

ianwit wrote:
SiLo wrote:I think they will do OK in the race if it is dry, and if the race is wet, they should be sorted. I think they don't have the pace because they are leaning more towards a wet setup than a dry, or made a compromise, which obviously affected the car. Personally I would of gone for a dry setup and maximised qualifying, because both drivers are very adept in the wet.
Jensen is quoted as saying the rain setup rumor is untrue.

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Pierce89 wrote:
ianwit wrote:
Jensen is quoted as saying the rain setup rumor is untrue.
They haven't gone for a wet mechanical setup (increased ride height, softer suspension, etc) but their high downforce package is more suited to wet conditions.

I also just remembered that DRS should be banned in the wet, so that's a bit of a plus for them.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

PlatinumZealot

Pierce89 wrote:
n smikle wrote:8) Again You didn't read the post but I will redraw the graph to please you. I will change the red line and black line.

Which one do you think is higher in F1, Form drag or Induced drag? Tell me so I can redraw the graph.
Induced drag is probably higher in F1, but th point is that on an F1 car all the drag incrases with the square of speed, bluff drag or induced, so we don't need a misleading graph seperating them and implying some sort of nonexistent difference in the way they build with speed.
We can do the maths and derive which one is higher in F1. But my point is there is no aerodynamic disadvantage to reducing the form drag.

On the car itself, Mclaren has put the bulk of the radiator opening behind the front profile of the brake duct and the tyres so there is a reduction in form drag.

http://www.grandprix.com/jpeg/misc/mcla ... ch2-lg.jpg

I think at high speeds when the air is moving in a more direct way over(or through in this case) the length car the U-pod is going to be more effective.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Pierce89

n smikle wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:

We can do the maths and derive which one is higher in F1. But my point is there is no aerodynamic disadvantage to reducing the form drag.

On the car itself, Mclaren has put the bulk of the radiator opening behind the front profile of the brake duct and the tyres so there is a reduction in form drag.

http://www.grandprix.com/jpeg/misc/mcla ... ch2-lg.jpg

I think at high speeds when the air is moving in a more direct way over(or through in this case) the length car the U-pod is going to be more effective.
OK I agree with this statement. I just said the graph was completely misleading and irrelevant for F1 purposes because of the way the form and induced drag are seperated, because with fixed non-changing geometry they both build with the square of speed making the graph misleading for F1 purposes

PlatinumZealot

Ok the graph is wrong for F1 I knew from the beginning, that is why I said the F1 wings are not moveable to cut the down-force to what is needed as speed goes up.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Pierce89

n smikle wrote:Ok the graph is wrong for F1 I knew from the beginning, that is why I said the F1 wings are not moveable to cut the down-force to what is needed as speed goes up.
I just didn't want other people confused.

boydy19
boydy19

Any reason why LH and JB were under investigation for speeding under safety car. I seen from live timing that Vettel was doing 2.06 laps under safety car and people at the back were doing 2.02's? Lh and JB were doing 2.04's

wesley123
wesley123

Nobody actually seemed to know of the rule until today.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

PlatinumZealot

Car is good at warming up the tyres it seems. We were 1.5 seconds faster than RedBull in mixed conditions!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Poleman

n smikle wrote:Car is good at warming up the tyres it seems. We were 1.5 seconds faster than RedBull in mixed conditions!
Actually the car is preety strong regarding to race pace.DRS and the magic mapping for RB's advantage are gone come race day.Still needs improvement though.

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

regarding saftey car speeding, i think it was recorded in a sector where both of them went too quickly and their average speed was above the defined limit.

That McLaren was sure fast towards the end, just had such superior grip, wing setup? or perhaps the suspension characteristics?
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna