Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

What is located behind the the RB fuel cell that prevents the KERS batteries from being located there?

When compared with other cars: the drivers are about the same size, fuel cell location & size, engine and transmissions are similar, and the weight distribution is controlled for qualifying. Anything unusual about RB's wheel base?

Are we talking about a lower fuel load CG with a flatter fuel cell? This advantage would not manifest itself during qualifying with very low fuel levels.

Brian

dren

The extremely tight rear end of the Red Bull is due to very tight and demanding packaging.
Honda!

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

If it is so tight, why are the batteries on the side of the transmission?

Brian

wesley123
wesley123

tht is the best place to place the batteries, plus it allows lower CoG and tighter packaging. The pullrod probably is connected in front or rear of the KERS packaging so the sidepods can be as tight as possible.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

1) Packaging: They are putting the batteries in the one area that you are trying to make the tightest. How do you improve packaging by not using the space behind the fuel cell?

2) Lower CG: This is true if you assume that the fuel load must be raised when placing the KERS batteries behind the fuel cell. But, during qualifying when the fuel load is very low this would not be an advantage over the other cars. We know RB is the very best car for qualifying, so where is the benefit from lower CG seen?

Brian

AbbaleRacing77
AbbaleRacing77

hardingfv32 wrote:1) Packaging: They are putting the batteries in the one area that you are trying to make the tightest. How do you improve packaging by not using the space behind the fuel cell?

2) Lower CG: This is true if you assume that the fuel load must be raised when placing the KERS batteries behind the fuel cell. But, during qualifying when the fuel load is very low this would not be an advantage over the other cars. We know RB is the very best car for qualifying, so where is the benefit from lower CG seen?

Brian
Why are you under the impression that theres all this space behind the fuel cell? There's not because there's something called a motor behind the fuel cell. Stop directing this topic in circles... Im not even participating but its annoying to read... A) We dont even know that the batteries are the problem... and B) We have no idea if heat is even an issue..... If they were issues then maybe we wouldve seen the batteries moved... but we havent they just stay in the same spot.

PlatinumZealot

The only thing better about the RBR packaging is the longer wheelbase, compact radiators and exhaust. The main components of the cars are pretty much the same for everybody.

Put the batteries under the gas tank (behind the driver's seat) put the motor beside or in front the engine, put the cooler where it's gonna get cool air. Simple as that.

That thing you see hanging off the side of the gearbox is probably the relays and voltage regulator and other electronics because 80 horsepower worth of battery is sorta suspect at that size. Especially when you see the batteries for the mercedez KERS the smallest in the business.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

"Stop directing this topic in circles" I am try to figure out why RB has it's batteries on the side of the transmission in the hottest location in the car. No one has developed an answer that holds water yet.

There is room on all the other cars for the batteries behind the fuel cell, so why is there not room behind in the RB?

It is my opinion the teams are not doing the development of the KERS components. All the parts are derived from a much more mature OEM market. Therefor the technology is similar with all team the teams. So then it comes down to RB's packaging.

REGARDLESS or to put the question another way: What is so beneficial to mounting the batteries on the side of the transmission. Newey had a reason... What is it?

Brian

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

82 hp for 6.6 = 403,573 joules

Lithium-ion battery energy density: 460,000 joules per Kg (2.2 lb)

Does this sound right?

That could very well be the only battery we see in the one picture. Based on the lithium battery in my race car, that is the right size for that weight. Of coarse I don't worry about temps because I am not dumping in 6.6 sec.

Brian
Last edited by hardingfv32 on 14 Jun 2011, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

HampusA

hardingfv32 wrote:Has RB been the best braking car up to this point?
Based on what i´ve seen i would say they have the worst of the three with Mclaren having the best.
The truth will come out...

HampusA

hardingfv32 wrote:REGARDLESS or to put the question another way: What is so beneficial to mounting the batteries on the side of the transmission. Newey had a reason... What is it?
Probably Aero, it´s very tidy around the rear while most other cars are not. Relatively speaking of course.

This was just what the commentator said so it will be interesting to see if it´s true.
The truth will come out...

MrBlacky
MrBlacky

Look at this extreme camber relative to the Ferrari's.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Would you say the front wings have a similar amount of FA?

The RB front wing and tea tray seem closer to the ground. Both wings also seem straight across their span, but it is probably the start?

Brian

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

the height difference of both wings and the tea tray is due to the rake the car runs, reference rear wings and front wings.

They are pretty similar FA, but it is interesting to see how different the ends (towards the pillars) of the upper elements are, seems almost that the RBR will form two separate vorticies where the Ferrari would only generate one.
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

MrBlacky wrote:Look at this extreme camber relative to the Ferrari's.

Little more static camber, sure. So what?
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.