Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

They also create pressure difference, speeding up the airflow in between the pillars. Hereby creating lower pressure under the nose effectively creating downforce. This is probably a sort of 'free' downforce, barely having a drag penalty
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Id expect more teams to follow on that format. I belive Force India have a wing, nose and pillar config that is simmilar.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Are we talking about just making the front wing pillars much longer? The photo is not clear to me.

If so, them:

1) Why after 5-10 years of front wing pillar use has the discovery just been made? Not the hardest thing to test.

2) How does "speeding up the airflow in between the pillars. Hereby creating lower pressure under the nose effectively creating downforce" Are you creating pressure above the wing?

Brian

wesley123
wesley123

hardingfv32 wrote:Are we talking about just making the front wing pillars much longer? The photo is not clear to me.

If so, them:

1) Why after 5-10 years of front wing pillar use has the discovery just been made? Not the hardest thing to test.
The old 2008 wings where really close to the nose surface, with this obstruction of the elements almost hitting the nose itself such thing will only cause drag since the air would have been blocked.
2) How does "speeding up the airflow in between the pillars. Hereby creating lower pressure under the nose effectively creating downforce" Are you creating pressure above the wing?

Brian
The same way a diffuser works and wings work. You create lower pressure under the nose then before, this effectively pulls the nose towards the grownd, equivalent of generating downforce.

hecti
hecti

Hey guys, got some sweet pics from this weekend
Some really cool flow lines from all the dirt on both cars
(sorry for the quantity, I just held the shutter down and went crazy, you can see all my Canada Post Race Picshere

Mandrake
Mandrake

That's better than flow vis ;) Nice pictures, thanks for sharing :)

zac510
zac510

Is the misalignment between the nose and chassis at their interface a trick of light or the livery? It's present in several pictures.

PS yes thanks v much for the pics ;)
No good turn goes unpunished.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

The nose is on correctly as the other stripes lineup, although there is an odd ripple in the blue and white stripes ahead of the nose mounting plain. Maybe a decal (vinyl) is separating/lifting.

Brian

hecti
hecti

yea, i noticed that too when i first looked through them, didn't really think much of it, probably just the reflection of the light (or some one made a mistake...)

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

If the surface is as designed and manufactured, then the reflection is indicating an odd transition from the nose corner radius to the chassis corner radius.

Brian

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

hecti
hecti

hardingfv32 wrote:If the surface is as designed and manufactured, then the reflection is indicating an odd transition from the nose corner radius to the chassis corner radius.

Brian
I zoomed in on the pic and found that the horns on the nose cone are only extruded upwards, the ones on the tub are extruded upwards and a bit to the side, thats why its a bit sketchy there.

Caito
Caito

I have a doubt. If you have low pressure below the nose, in the center section it means low pressure on that same section of the front wing.

You want high pressure on the top of the wing, and low below the nose. It seems contradictory, both can't happen. Would someone explain me please?
Come back 747, we miss you!!

wesley123
wesley123

Caito wrote:I have a doubt. If you have low pressure below the nose, in the center section it means low pressure on that same section of the front wing.

You want high pressure on the top of the wing, and low below the nose. It seems contradictory, both can't happen. Would someone explain me please?
That section is standardised and creates lift anyways. The advantage of the lower pressure under the nose is big enough to neglect the increase in lift over the central section

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Caito wrote:I have a doubt. If you have low pressure below the nose, in the center section it means low pressure on that same section of the front wing.

The front wing center section is mandated a neutral profile so you cannot get much of anything from that section of the front wing. By boxing in the pillars of the front wing you can increase velocity under the nose, thus creating low pressure under the nose. I wonder how big a deal this is, but since so much of the design is mandated these days, with more to come, any little trick helps.