Williams FW33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
TRICKLE69
TRICKLE69

Re: Williams FW33

Pierce89 wrote:
Giblet wrote:Thank you Bar555 :)

We miss your posts around here now that you got your own blog.
+1 couldn't agree more.
++1 I know you already answered the post BAR but I too find myself missing your posts when I am trolling through topics. Your work is appreciated!
IT IS WHAT IT IS

roadie

Great photos, thanks for sharing! Is this a long fence along sending air inside and outside the edge of the tea tray?

hecti
hecti

Yea, it works the same way a barge board does

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Yeah it squirts it outwards in combination with the barge board to lower pressure. Like the Renault exhaust.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

I'm not sure that this forms the same kind of vortex as a barge board.

Brian

beelsebob
beelsebob

hardingfv32 wrote:I'm not sure that this forms the same kind of vortex as a barge board.
Since when are barge boards there to create vortices? They're there to push air out wide of the car, hence lowering the pressure under the floor, and increasing airflow round the side pods and to the rear wing.

wesley123
wesley123

beelsebob wrote:
hardingfv32 wrote:I'm not sure that this forms the same kind of vortex as a barge board.
Since when are barge boards there to create vortices? They're there to push air out wide of the car, hence lowering the pressure under the floor, and increasing airflow round the side pods and to the rear wing.
They also shed a vortex on their top edge, sending a vortex to the radiator intake you can see it on the top edge.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ringo

The car is ok.
The team need to learn how to maximise it, and plan a strategy around the car's strengths.
There is nothing to indicatate this car is piss poor.
They keep coming close to a top ten finish, and something goes wrong strategically or accidentally and they mess up.

One thing i feel they need to do is refine the parts. They are looking a bit macro detailed instead of micro detailed.
For Sure!!

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Ringo

"One thing i feel they need to do is refine the parts. They are looking a bit macro detailed instead of micro detailed."

Please provide an example so we can appreciate what you are talking about.

Brian

ringo

The turning vanes, floor edges and side pods for example.
They have the basic shape that creates the desired effect. This can be achieved in the CFD package, however the major refinements are found in the windtunnel.

The car just has a "rough cut" look to it compared to the Mclaren or Redbull which has a "final pass" look.
The key parts just don't seem like they went through much iteration.

One thing i can say though, is that the middle 500mm of the floor is interesting.
I am talking about the shape that lies on the reference plane above the plank.

This shape is free. It just has to have a maximum widht of 500mm somwhere between rear wheel centre line and the edge of the splitter.
This williams floor's taper is much different than the other cars.

even without DDD there is still scope to shape the floors. These become more critical now.

Just a few examples of what is possible. Keeping in mind the tub, engine, and gearbox sitting almost on the reference plane need to be considered for the floor shape.
For Sure!!

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

1) What is your opinion on the function of the square duct below the tea tray? Is the internal volume constant or expanding?

2) Is the lip on the bottom of the barge board increasing or decreasing vortex creation?

3) What is the purpose of the shape used on the outside front corner of the upper floor? It seems to be coordinated or fed with the lower edge of the barge board.

Brian

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

ringo wrote:The car is ok.
The team need to learn how to maximise it, and plan a strategy around the car's strengths.
There is nothing to indicatate this car is piss poor.
They keep coming close to a top ten finish, and something goes wrong strategically or accidentally and they mess up.

One thing i feel they need to do is refine the parts. They are looking a bit macro detailed instead of micro detailed.
I agree with this. There not getting the best from the car and reliability has let them down.

Couple of those pictures show the rear packaging very nicely. Gearbox and packaging has to pay dividends soon. Quite some engineering. =D>

ringo

from autosport:
Williams is hoping that further adjustments to its diffuser design for this weekend's European Grand Prix in Valencia will allow it to continue its recent points-scoring run.

After a very tough start to the season, the Grove squad has started to regain ground in recent races following a raft of upgrades.

Technical director Sam Michael said the main developments for Valencia were focused on the diffuser.

"We have some further upgrades to our diffuser and our target is to be in the points with both our cars," he said.
For Sure!!

Francesc
Francesc

zgred