2011 Endurance news

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
donskar
donskar

Re: 2011 Endurance news

machin wrote:Wesley, Why would an I6 have more torque than a V6 if all other parameters were the same (bore, stroke, inlet/exhaust lengths and diameters etc)?
It wouldn't.

And other factors being approximately the same, more cylinders for the same displacement will usually give more HP but less torque. The Aston I6 remains a mystery, I guess. It's longer than an I4, has a longer, potentially more "whippy" crank, can limit the designer's option (meaning the longer engine could require a bit longer wheelbase. :wtf:
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

WhiteBlue

machin wrote:Wesley, Why would an I6 have more torque than a V6 if all other parameters were the same (bore, stroke, inlet/exhaust lengths and diameters etc)?
I'm sure the issue is not the maximum torque and power that could be achieved with the concept but the need to detune the engine because of reliability issues.

http://www.ten-tenths.com/forum/showpos ... count=2607
Actually Dr. Ulrich Baretzky, one the sport's good guys and not at all part of the politically correct brigade, gives AMR a real shellacking

"They made an open car with the wrong engine. A straight-six engine with a turbo - sorry, but this is one of the worst combinations I have ever seen."

He continues in similar vein for some time. For what it is worth, these views are pretty common down the LMS/ILMC pitlane, the choice of engine and chassis configuration is mystifying. The only rational explanation is that there is some future marketing link with a new road car.
From the reports on ten-thenths.com it appears they cannot run the cars anywhere near the power it needs to be.

The I6 apparently makes a beautiful sound and is cheap to manufacture but the crank weakness especially when turbo charging introduces high torque will make the concept unfit for endurance racing.

Baretzky is too much of a pro to make an error there and he used to be part of the BMW M1 I6 and F1 I4 team. He would have 30 years of experience with the technology to know.

The new Audi V6 engine seems much more the way to go. With it's compact dimensions they have created the space for future hybrid engines.

Schedule for Le Mans according to Radio Le Mans:

Sunday 5th June

14:30 - 19:00 Scrutineering (Jacobins)

Monday 6th June

09:30 - 17:30 Scrutineering (Jacobins)

Tuesday 7th June

10:00 Team Managers' briefing
11:00 Drivers' briefing
17:00 Drivers' autograph session

Wednesday 8th June

16:00 - 20:00 Free practice
20:30 - 21:30 Free practice (Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli)
21:00 - 24:00 Concert (Raphaël/Sarah Bessie)
22:00 - 24:00 Qualifying

Thursday 9th June

16:00 - 17:00 Qualifying (Le Mans Legend)
17:30 - 18:30 Qualifying (Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli)
19:00 - 21:00 Qualifying
21:00 - 24:00 Concert (Julian Peretta/Mia Wallas)
22:00 - 24:00 Qualifying

Friday 10th June

10:00 - 20:00 Pit Walk
18:00 - 20:00 Drivers' Parade (Le Mans city centre)

Saturday 11th June

09:00 - 09:45 Warm-up
10:05 - 10:50 Race (Le Mans Legend)
11:15 - 12:00 Race (Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli)
14:22 Beginning of starting procedure
15:00 Start of the 79th Le Mans 24 Hours
21:00 - 24:00 Concert (Razorlight/Concrete Knives)

Sunday 12th June

15:00 Finish of the 79th Le Mans 24 Hours

All sessions streamed by www.eurosportplayer.com
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Pandamasque

Baretzky wrote:"They made an open car with the wrong engine. A straight-six engine with a turbo - sorry, but this is one of the worst combinations I have ever seen."
LOL. I guess he doesn't like BMWs either. The guy is a genius, but it's the case when it borders with madness... and cynicism, if one listens to his explanations of why they decided against switching to petrol for this year.
Last edited by Giblet on 07 Jun 2011, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quoted person

WhiteBlue

Nice provisional qualifying at Le Mans today. It looks like a very tight match between the Audis and the Peugeots.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Ciro Pabón

donskar wrote:
It wouldn't...
An I6 would have more torque, because a V6 (usually) cannot be revved as high as an I6, AFAIK. There are some angles that can give you the same vibration, but it's harder with a V6, again, I think.

The best, more durable engine I've had was an I6. It lasted over 500.000 kilometers, during 32 years (from 1971 to 2003, when I sold it). The car is still doing good, it's a classic. I repaired its engine once and everybody was astounded by the condition of its innards. Of course, it was more like a tank than like a racing car and I don't drive fast (on the contrary) out of the track.

Engines I think are good for revving (naturally balanced)

Straight 6
V12
Flat (4, 6, 12 cylinders)

Engines bad for revving (naturally unbalanced)

60 and 90 degrees V6
I4

I love endurance races, specially at Le Mans. This is the only classic engineering championship I know. I always follow it closely, so thank you, guys for all the data.
Ciro

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Confirmed to me via Twitter from @AntDavidson, the Pug 908s are using the MES F1 display and a more F1 style steering wheel so that it is more familure to the ex-F1 guys they have:

Formula None
Formula None

Edis posted these in the 1.6L Turbo thread (thanks!):

Does anyone have photos of the AMR-One's supposed internal front diffuser ducting (said to exit at the back of the car)?

747heavy

not 100% sure what you mean, as you have posted most photo´s yourself, but maybe it´s related to this?

amr-one paul ricard 2011

_red arrow_duct for vent side exit

_green arrows_ duct for brakes

_blu arrows_double duct for cooling

_yellow arrows_duct for vent rear exit

graphics from
http://lemansprototypes.over-blog.it/
other pic of the engine bay:
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

Muulka
Muulka

I just heard that Toyota have been testing a new LMP for the past year, built to the current regs. How long until we see a return to Le Mans? And then who will follow? Nissan? Mazda?

I think that we may just be entering a golden age of sportscar racing.

But the Aston's just terrible :P

wesley123
wesley123

The Toyota already returned this year, being the powerplant in the Rebellion Lola. For next year anyone can get these Toyota engines, if they drive a Lola
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Formula None
Formula None

747heavy wrote:not 100% sure what you mean, as you have posted most photo´s yourself, but maybe it´s related to this?
Thanks for the pics, heavy. I had read, and seen in the illustration you posted, that some of the font diffuser outlet ducting exited out the back of the car and not just the sides. I wasn't sure if this was fact, or if this method is even common in the lmp class. If so, there would be ducting that either terminates into the engine bay or actually extends through the engine bay to be vented out the back of the car. (the open section for engine cooling where the tow hook is, below).

Radiator exit, looking from inside out:

Formula None
Formula None

Formula None
Formula None

Audi's Ralf Juttner tells us that the R18 is using "waste air" to cool items in the engine bay. Recall that we pointed out air being directed from the cockpit through cooling pipes that emerge from the back end of the R18's monocoque (1) and then terminate (2) into the carbon bellhousing.

Juttner elaborates on the R18's engine bay cooling system, and most interestingly, confirms that the R18 cockpit cooling is not augmented, "...we are not using an A/C system. All is done with 'normal' ambient air." Air is directed into the cockpit via the vent intake in the car's nose, used to reduce the cockpit temperatures, and then sent rearward to the engine bay, eliminating the need for additional ducts with the aditional benefit of retasking the "used" cockpit air for additional duties.

We'd be remiss not to inquire with Mr. Juttner about the rear carbon structure, notably the "why" behind it. Juttner would only say, "About the rear structure I can´t say anything (but you are - as usual - a skilled viewer)." Recall that the R18's rear carbon structure has been designed to isolate the gearbox from suspension loading potentially creating a regulatory loophole whereby the gearbox could be replaced in event of a failure.

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsmay11.html

Formula None
Formula None

Is the NISMO Leaf expected to enter any races this year?

Battery compartment:

wesley123
wesley123

I hope it does, it looks incredibly cool
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender