COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

Mr Alcatraz

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

xpensive wrote:It's individuals like yourself Taz, which makes me wonder if the myth of "the ugly American", is more than a myth?
Are you going autistic on me again? The ugly American which originally referred to Americans in Southeast Asia and then obnoxious ones that act arrogantly in Europe has nothing to do with me. First of all I am not a person that goes to other countries and disrespect their customs, in fact I embrace them. Secondly I really have no desire to visit you decaying society. All I do is return bad manners in kind on this forum, and this thing reeks of anti-American sentiment.
You have no idea what goes on over here yet you claim to. I have about the same knowledge of what goes on in your part of your continent, but I don't claim to nor do I care to find out the details of its shortcomings. I'm very happy here, and don't need any ill-informed homo sapiens from the old world to tell me how messed up my life, and my countrymen are, because I realize you don't know squat on a squat stick about me and you certainly have no clue about my sense of humor. Other than that I've got nothin' but love for you bro!
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Giblet
Giblet

Please, everyone, try to refrain from arguing with each other, and there is no need to disrespect others homelands, unless you feel that your own has some shortcomings you want to deflect on to someone else.

If we had to make a list, each and every country in the world has something embarrassing about it in its present or history. You live there and I live here.

Big freakin' deal children.

At this point in time, we are all without country, as we are on the Internet. Some basic personal and national respect can, and does, go a long way.

The US has ~300 million people in it, so to lump its people together in any one group is something you can do at your peril and disadvantage.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

xpensive
xpensive

Tazio wrote:
xpensive wrote:It's individuals like yourself Taz, which makes me wonder if the myth of "the ugly American", is more than a myth?
Are you going autistic on me again? The ugly American which originally referred to Americans in Southeast Asia and then obnoxious ones that act arrogantly in Europe has nothing to do with me. First of all I am not a person that goes to other countries and disrespect their customs, in fact I embrace them. Secondly I really have no desire to visit you decaying society. All I do is return bad manners in kind on this forum, and this thing reeks of anti-American sentiment.
You have no idea what goes on over here yet you claim to. I have about the same knowledge of what goes on in your part of your continent, but I don't claim to nor do I care to find out the details of its shortcomings. I'm very happy here, and don't need any ill-informed homo sapiens from the old world to tell me how messed up my life, and my countrymen are, because I realize you don't know squat on a squat stick about me and you certainly have no clue about my sense of humor. Other than that I've got nothin' but love for you bro!
Thanks for clearing that up Taz. #-o
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Giblet wrote:Please, everyone, try to refrain from arguing with each other, and there is no need to disrespect others homelands, unless you feel that your own has some shortcomings you want to deflect on to someone else.
I live in the UK. 'Nuff said about that(!) :lol:

Tazio - I think you are too hasty to jump into attack mode. There is no anti-American sentiment. Only concerns over the viability of the track at Austin and the US GP. I don't see that as anti-anything, just reasonable discussion.

For example, if the British GP was to move to, say Shetland (population currently, an oil terminal, 10 people, some sheep and a couple of dogs with the favorite past time being recreating a viking ceremony once a year), much the same discussion could be had about the viability of a track in that location. There wouldn't be any anti-Scottish/anti-UK angle, just reasonable concerns that need to be addressed and answered. No malice intended at all.

Mr Alcatraz

Andrew there is a lot of anti-American sentiment on this site. Not confined to this thread I can't read more than two or three pages of almost any topic on these boards without encountering it. This is just the "flame de jour". I know there are Belgium and French a couple and Italians on this site, but the vast majority of the anti-American sentiment comes from the UK and Scandinavia. It was the same when I used to post on another UK site. You guys don’t know how annoying it is when you make sweeping generalizations about the U.S. Because what you say is based on facts that are the work of a dying breed in this country very rapidly dying, and a certain part that is already dead yet for some reason certain people that are not Americans want to resurrect, or magnify perceived injustices.

xpensive
xpensive

Stop it Taz, I haven't been this heartbroken since USF1 went belly-up... :cry:
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

andrew
andrew

Tazio - I have to disagree with you. I have not seen any sentiment against any particular nation anywhere, unless I have not been looking in the right places.

Mr Alcatraz

xpensive wrote:Stop it Taz, I haven't been this heartbroken since USF1 went belly-up... :cry:
You hurt me to my heart little big man :cry:

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Most American sports car racing enthusiasts were and maybe still are skeptical of an USGP in Texas.

I can easily understand the rest of the world being skeptical.

Brian

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

I think the GP will probably happen. I fear it will be short lived though, I just don't think they'll shift the tickets, and they really need sell outs to justify building the circuit.

Why wasn't going to an existing circuit an option? The US has got some great race circuits, other than Indy :P

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Existing US circuits all have active business models that clearly indicate that a GP makes NO business sense.

You can promise the world when you build a new track in a new location. There is no business model to compare to in this situation. You only need to sell the idea to a few overly optimistic investors or wealthy enthusiasts who can absorb the loss.

This is the nature of F1 in the US. The market can not cover the asking price and never will.

Brian

ElleMarie

hardingfv32 wrote:Existing US circuits all have active business models that clearly indicate that a GP makes NO business sense.

You can promise the world when you build a new track in a new location. There is no business model to compare to in this situation. You only need to sell the idea to a few overly optimistic investors or wealthy enthusiasts who can absorb the loss.

This is the nature of F1 in the US. The market can not cover the asking price and never will.

Brian
The Same thing here in my country, Argentina. Last week national media report that a group of enthusiasts investors will build a brand new circuit superspeedway and bla bla. The idea is to have F1 back, but all there is just a render and a very suspicious group of wealthy people saying they want to loss a lot of money (100m dls) :mrgreen:
This is the so called Superspeedway circuit to be built: im think its quite the same as Bahrein layout :|
links to the photos (trying not to do offtopic): http://autoblog.com.ar/wp-content/uploa ... iudad1.jpg
http://autoblog.com.ar/wp-content/uploa ... iudad2.jpg
http://autoblog.com.ar/wp-content/uploa ... iudad3.jpg
http://autoblog.com.ar/wp-content/uploa ... iudad4.jpg

andrew
andrew

Diesel wrote:I think the GP will probably happen. I fear it will be short lived though, I just don't think they'll shift the tickets, and they really need sell outs to justify building the circuit.

Why wasn't going to an existing circuit an option? The US has got some great race circuits, other than Indy :P
This!

At least when the race was at Indy, they could sell it on the whole history aspect but Austin is a blank canvas as far as F1 goes.

Before Tazio tells me I am an anti-American Nazi, I hope the race is a success but off course no one will know for sure until the race has been held.

donskar
donskar

hardingfv32 wrote:Most American sports car racing enthusiasts were and maybe still are skeptical of an USGP in Texas.
I can easily understand the rest of the world being skeptical.

Brian
Really? Have a source? Pehaps a Gallup poll? Harris poll? A vision? Three drunks?

It is this sort of unsupported generalization that is so damaging to any intelligent discussion in this and other threads.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Indy is just that, history. As an oval it had very little relevance to the sport car enthusiast and now it only has relevance as a stock car (NASCAR) track.

Don't worry about anyone who takes to much pride in any country they might live in.

Brian