2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
djos

Re: Formula One 1.6l turbo engine formula as of 2013

WilliamsF1 wrote:I still cant understand people arguing to keep the current engines beyond 2012.

F1 fans in a love affair with current V8 s are no different from NASCAR fans, a series that still runs on carburetor fitted V8 s. pls move on guys f1 engines are getting boring as there is nothing new to talk about.F1 has been on a stagnant engine development curve since 2006. That is 7 years at the end of 2012. The only way to end this is by a new engine programme.

I also understand the argument of V6, when they were discussing it for 2 years, why did people like whipedmarsh keep quiet? This sounds like ferrari and bernie voting on bahrain issue at the WMSC only to come out and bitch about it. All this is just political, hate that side of F1, and cant believe that all we guys are arguing on this subject.
Nascar will finally ditch the carby for McLaren Electronic Systems Fuel Injection next year. It must be said tho that the carbies being run in Nascar are incredibly sophisticated for such "old" technology.
"In downforce we trust"

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

strad wrote:
Martin Whitmarsh: “If it were my call I’d probably go for a turbocharged V6. I think more and more (road) cars are going to be turbocharged.”
I could just pull my hair out...How about we give a displacement number and leave the configuration up to the teams?

Racing shouldn't care about green...
Racing isn't green by it's very nature.
It isn't green to waste any amount of fuel running around in circles chasing some grand prize.
If F1 wants to be seen as green they should mandate electric cars and be done with it...Otherwise it's a giant money wasting publicity stunt.
F1 shouldn't have anything to do with environmental agendas.

I said the same several pages ago (was it in this thread actually #-o ) but no one seemed to take notice with so much "green" and "cost reduction" passion around.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

cossie
cossie

Renault wants the 4 banger to up thier passenger car sales, the other 3 do not have those concerns, it's the flip side for Ferrari and Mercedes. Cosworth also gets nothing out of making a 4 banger, let Renault go hell someone else will step up anyway

FW17

alelanza wrote:
It's not stagnant, it's an engine freeze, google it! the only way to end a freeze is to unfreeze it ;)
And really the past few years, except 09, have been some of the best the sport has ever seen. If you find the best F1 has to offer to be boring simply because the engines haven't changed, then F1 is not for you. What makes you not just follow the sport but also have 423 posts on an F1 forum which you joined over a year ago?
F1's success is about many different things, not just engine changes, but if you like those, don't the LMP1's change engine regs all the time? then follow those! There's a racing series for everyone out there, i struggle to find time to follow more than just a few, but it baffles me that people can't find one they like.
I love racing, but I do not like to watch races where everyone is driving the same car, year in and year out.

F1 is about the whole package, the car, the team, the driver, BE, FIA and all.

We have been using the same damm engines since 2006, HP has reduced from 800 to 750 hp. If you do not call that stagnant, it defiantly is not progress.

F1 for the past few years has turned out to be the same car with a different body kit every year. If this goes on people who have been following F1 from 80's and 90's are going to turn away.
strad wrote:
Martin Whitmarsh: “If it were my call I’d probably go for a turbocharged V6. I think more and more (road) cars are going to be turbocharged.”
I could just pull my hair out...How about we give a displacement number and leave the configuration up to the teams?

Racing shouldn't care about green...
Racing isn't green by it's very nature.
It isn't green to waste any amount of fuel running around in circles chasing some grand prize.
If F1 wants to be seen as green they should mandate electric cars and be done with it...Otherwise it's a giant money wasting publicity stunt.
F1 shouldn't have anything to do with environmental agendas.
Good Argument, but F1 is not a Hot Rod club where the effort one puts in is viewed as a waste of time by rest of the world.

Racing need not be Green, need not be relevant, but there is nothing wrong with some of the best people (with a very healthy budget) in the working on something the rest of the world cares about. A new turbo offers something that can be taken to the road, (cant see the future) but surely it will happen.

djos

This is what Mark Webber thinks F1 engines should be like and obviously more than a few fans have told him this:
Q: Formula One innovations of the past - ground effect, active suspension, turbocharging, six wheels, the list goes on. If you could bring back one past innovation, what would it be and why?

MW: 1300 horsepower. Big engines and big noise. That is what fans relate to Formula One.
Q: You can travel back in time and compete in any decade of Formula One racing, from the 1950s to the 1990s. Which decade would you choose and why?

MW: The 1980s. It was dangerous so drivers needed big balls. It was the era I watched on TV when I was little. And to be honest the 1950s and 1960s were a little bit extreme. So the 1980s were the right time - the right balance between safety and extreme.
Q: You are given the chance to drive any legendary Formula One car of the past (excluding those made by your own team). Which car would you choose?

MW: The FW14B - the Williams car from 1992. The most sophisticated Grand Prix car ever.
from the Official F1 Site

Im a dyed in the wool Webber fan but I could not agree with him more!!! =D>
Last edited by djos on 21 Jun 2011, 12:20, edited 4 times in total.
"In downforce we trust"

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

djos wrote:This is what Mark Webber thinks F1 engines should be like and obviously more tan a few fans have told him this:
Q: Formula One innovations of the past - ground effect, active suspension, turbocharging, six wheels, the list goes on. If you could bring back one past innovation, what would it be and why?

MW: 1300 horsepower. Big engines and big noise. That is what fans relate to Formula One.
=D>
I would like to see Vettel asked the same question. :wink:

djos

andrew wrote:
djos wrote:This is what Mark Webber thinks F1 engines should be like and obviously more tan a few fans have told him this:

=D>
Yeah I wonder what he'd say, prolly refer back to early Naughties 3.0ltr V10 powered cars even tho he's never driven one as he's not old enuf to remember the turbo or 3.5ltr eras.
"In downforce we trust"

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

I was think it may have an impact on the direction of this thread more than anything, but I think you are right.

HampusA

djos wrote:Yeah I wonder what he'd say, prolly refer back to early Naughties 3.0ltr V10 powered cars even tho he's never driven one as he's not old enuf to remember the turbo or 3.5ltr eras.
Really?
I would go as far to say he´s probably driven the most powerful 3L V10 there ever was.

At Monza 2006 he drove the BMW in both Friday practice sessions and topped the leaderboard in both sessions. (rumours of BMW putting out 1.000bhp here)

2007 - Confirmed as BMW test driver.
US GP, started 7th ended 8th. Youngest driver to ever take a Championship point.

So he´s had more then enough experience to speak of the 3L V10 era.
Especially considering he probably sat in the most powerful one of the lot.
The truth will come out...

King Six
King Six

andrew wrote:

=D>
I'll tell you what's funny for all you people. He's talking about the BMW M12. Which was, and read this carefully, a 1.5L 4 cylinder turbo.

The only problem I have with the current regs is that they're going to limit the actually ICE component of the powertrain to about 600bhp. Under the guise of costs, reliability and such.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M12

FW17

HampusA wrote:
djos wrote:Yeah I wonder what he'd say, prolly refer back to early Naughties 3.0ltr V10 powered cars even tho he's never driven one as he's not old enuf to remember the turbo or 3.5ltr eras.
Really?
I would go as far to say he´s probably driven the most powerful 3L V10 there ever was.

At Monza 2006 he drove the BMW in both Friday practice sessions and topped the leaderboard in both sessions. (rumours of BMW putting out 1.000bhp here)

2007 - Confirmed as BMW test driver.
US GP, started 7th ended 8th. Youngest driver to ever take a Championship point.

So he´s had more then enough experience to speak of the 3L V10 era.
Especially considering he probably sat in the most powerful one of the lot.
3L V10 engines last competed in 2005.

2006 was same the same engines we have today without a rev limit but still would not have put out anything more than 800 hp

HampusA

Correct, brain freeze or something..

To bad he missed it by a year. But surely he must have driven a V10 powered car sometime. Maybe a BMW or a V10 powered car at RBR events?

Giblet
Giblet

Technically, the V10 was raced all of 2006, yet only by STR, and only in a rev limited and air restricted version.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

HampusA

Can´t remember but was it any noticable difference in fuel usage compared to the (then) new V8´s?
(STR´s nerfed V10)

FW17

Will the new 1.5L I4 TC 120L per race against 2.4L V8 NA 150L work for 2013 racing