COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

xpensive
xpensive

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

This might be impertinent to the discussion, but if perceived anti-american is is, so is this I hope; Is there anyting in the pipeline to use the Austin track for other series, such as Nascar or IRL?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Mr Alcatraz

xpensive wrote:This might be impertinent to the discussion, but if perceived anti-american is is, so is this I hope; Is there anyting in the pipeline to use the Austin track for other series, such as Nascar or IRL?
Only thing oficial is Moto GP quasi-anti-American ;)
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Giblet
Giblet

I would be surprised to see NASCAR there, but not IRL, American Superbikes, maybe even MotoGP.

The reason I doubt NASCAR is the braking zones would be too long, unlike say Watkins Glen where almost all the corners are a gear down and turn in, not going from top speed down to 50-60 for a hairpin. The other NASCAR road course, Infineon Raceway (formerly Sears Point) is also a very flowing track with only two spots where you need to go down more than one gear. I am not sure the layout of the track used for NASCAR.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

xpensive
xpensive

Tazio wrote:
xpensive wrote:This might be impertinent to the discussion, but if perceived anti-american is, so is this I hope; Is there anyting in the pipeline to use the Austin track for other series, such as Nascar or IRL?
So how about an all out California-bashing festival, perhaps that would find its feet in Don's community, eh? Bring along some Brit-hooligans to complete the picture, like "Colonials, stay where you're at, we never liked you fags anyway!"?

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Giblet wrote:I would be surprised to see NASCAR there, but not IRL, American Superbikes, maybe even MotoGP.

The reason I doubt NASCAR is the braking zones would be too long, unlike say Watkins Glen where almost all the corners are a gear down and turn in, not going from top speed down to 50-60 for a hairpin. The other NASCAR road course, Infineon Raceway (formerly Sears Point) is also a very flowing track with only two spots where you need to go down more than one gear. I am not sure the layout of the track used for NASCAR.
Considering Nationwide cars currently runs Montreal Gilles Villeneuve, which is an "all braking" track, I don't see why Cup car won't run Austin's GP course....though maybe not the full track. They currently run Watkins Glen and Infineon in the shorter configuration....

Mr Alcatraz

xpensive wrote:
Tazio wrote:
xpensive wrote:This might be impertinent to the discussion, but if perceived anti-american is, so is this I hope; Is there anyting in the pipeline to use the Austin track for other series, such as Nascar or IRL?
So how about an all out California-bashing festival, perhaps that would find its feet in Don's community, eh? Bring along some Brit-hooligans to complete the picture, like "Colonials, stay where you're at, we never liked you fags anyway!"?
I'll see your Brit Hooligans, and raise you two Crypts a Hells Angel (San Bernadino Chapter), and throw in a Paris Hilton just to make it really unsavory! :lol:

xpensive
xpensive

Right, then if you want the real McCoy,I can bring the Asa-church Thor and Oden worshipers from Sweden, broadswords and all...but on second thought, they might end up fraternizing with your bikers, bad idea perhaps?

Giblet
Giblet

RacingManiac wrote:
Giblet wrote:I would be surprised to see NASCAR there, but not IRL, American Superbikes, maybe even MotoGP.

Considering Nationwide cars currently runs Montreal Gilles Villeneuve, which is an "all braking" track, I don't see why Cup car won't run Austin's GP course....though maybe not the full track. They currently run Watkins Glen and Infineon in the shorter configuration....
Good point, I forgot they raced in Montreal. NASCAR's problem is that its popularity has waned somewhat, so I doubt more races will be added since they are a dime a dozen as it is. In Canada we are hearing radio ads targetted at us since they tracks are not filling up like they used to. I think this is reflected by Red Bull pulling out, and NASCAR has a lot more casual fans than F1. A NASCAR race is kind of like going to see a baseball game or soccer match, you don't need to be a huge fan to go see a race like you do for F1.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

xpensive
xpensive

When living in Pennsylvania, I went to see the Pocono CART race in 1996, didn't get to see much of racing though, but one hell of a BBQ paty! I met some people I still have contact with today, I never been through such a social event ever.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Much as it would be wonderful to have a NASCAR event there, it would be fraught with legal issues. At present Texas Motor Speedway hosts two NASCAR Sprint Cup events, as well as one IRL.

The NASCAR schedule is at maximum, and to add one event would force another venue to lose out. And NASCAR tries to balance out regions, so if you attempted to add a NASCAR event to the new Austin track, Texas Motor Speedway would most likely have to surrender one event.

But back in 2004 it took the Ferko lawsuit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferko_lawsuit to force NASCAR to schedule two events in Texas. The consequences were that it cost Darlington one of it's two events, as well as removing Rockingham from the Cup schedule. So trust me, if the Austin track tried to poach a NASCAR event away from Texas Motor Speedway, lawsuits would fly.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

strad

Texas Motor Speedway would most likely have to surrender one event.
That would be fine by me...But you're right. The lawyers would get rich.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

It was an ugly legal mess back in 2004, and to open up that can of worms again, with even more complications, would be a disaster. For awhile, it was almost a civil war, and it was nasty, with lots of bad blood.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Mr Alcatraz

xpensive wrote:Right, then if you want the real McCoy,I can bring the Asa-church Thor and Oden worshipers from Sweden, broadswords and all...but on second thought, they might end up fraternizing with your bikers, bad idea perhaps?
Oooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Scary Movie (metaphorically speaking of course) :P
xpensive wrote:Mobster; You don't look Italian? Ricardo Tubbs; I come from the very south of Italy, it's called Africa!
Ooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuu wasted, and completely predictable racism.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Febr_t_qa9U[/youtube]

Of course I wouldn't expect anything less from a member of the "Master Race" :lol:

Jeffsvilleusa

For what it's worth, there is a petition circulating to encourage the approval of an Austin city council vote on the grand prix tomorrow:

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/cota
Box! Box!

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)