2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
HampusA

Re: Formula One 1.6l turbo engine formula as of 2013

The truth will come out...

lebesset
lebesset

new engine rules to suit ferrari

to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

bgroovers
bgroovers

Re: new engine rules to suit ferrari

alelanza
alelanza

andrew wrote: Thanks Alelanza. Is it not possible to improve the efficiency of the V8 or has these been taken as far as they can be? Just seems that developing a new engine format is maybe not the best use of resources if there is still scope for improving the V8.
Well, they're already very efficient, as pointed somewhere in this thread if you were to drive a street engine the way an F1 engine is driven, it would use far more fuel and go much slower. However it seems some people are hoping to see F1 engines do the MPG numbers of diesel compact cars traveling at constant speed at low partial loads on the highway in top gear.
Can the V8s be made more efficient? possibly, they weren't designed with just efficiency in mind (evidently fuel weight penalty was factored into the equation), plus a lot of their characteristics are mandated. They were developed inside the size restrictions and as such had to be made to rev high, so for example that imposes a friction penalty, but on the other hand gives you an engine and powertrain that only have to deal with relatively low torque numbers, so as usual it's a compromise. In fact once you consider all the aero penalties imposed by the volume that would be consumed by turbos, intercoolers, piping plus any other energy recovery items, i wouldn't be surprised to find out that current engines with a few regulation changes can be the more efficient package.

The problem is, how do you explain that to the general public? who would be interested? it's easier to say I4s with turbos and be done with it. Plus people have always really liked the word turbo:

Alejandro L.

xpensive
xpensive

Hey Alejandro, I drove one of those in Seattle 1985 for six months, thank you.
Turboed, compressored, or not, it's all about how many oxygen-molecules you can squeez in to burn more fuel, no magic.

What you might save on a racing engine is frictional losses from a smaller motor, nothing else.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

That BBC article is poor. They start by saying that the rules will be for V6 engines and then the rest of the articel continues to talk about inline 4-cylinder motors. They've obviously done a rush-job copy and paste to put it together.

Boo.

As for the new rules, I like the idea of V6 engines although it's annoying that Ferrari gets its way over other people yet again.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

u401768
u401768

But it was ONLY Renault who wanted the in line 4...... so its not only Ferrari, but Merc as well

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

I hope no one believes any of this BS on any level. (a) That relevance to road cars means a damn thing to these teams, (b) that this will give any advantage to Ferrari
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Can the thread title be changed or at least use Title Case?

I dare say that the engine rules will suit more than just Ferrari.
Last edited by andrew on 22 Jun 2011, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.

HampusA

and now it´s official, it´s been post poned to 2014

And it will be 1.6L V6 engines, (turbo charged obviosuly) instead of the 1.6L 4cylinder engines.

HampusA

To bad it wasn´t open regarding the layout of the engine.

Like a Boxer 6, straight 6 etc. Or even VR6.

Btw, what´s up with the thread name? "to suit Ferrari" yea right, to suit them we would still have the V8´s we have today.

dren

It doesn't say the teams are for or against the V6 yet. They haven't voted on it. Mercedes was against the fact that the new rules were changing so quickly (and also probably due to the fact they have the best V8 at the moment). They didn't say anything about it being due to the I4 format.
Honda!

Holm86

Thats good news for me. The only thing in the new engine regulations i didnt like was that it had to be 4 cylinders.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

HampusA wrote:And it will be 1.6L V6 engines, (turbo charged obviosuly) instead of the 1.6L 4cylinder engines.
Right who called it? Can the winner please step on down and claim their prize?

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Ive said the logical step before a I4 was for it to go to a V6 first.

So if anyone is handing out prizes ill take mine now!!!