2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: What will come after the 2.4 V8?

WhiteBlue wrote:
xpensive wrote:Anyway, my final predictions for 2013is the following;
A 1.6 liter turbo-V6 restricted to 12 kRpm, as well as a 2.0 Bar boost (3.0 absolute) and a fuelflow of 45 cc/second.
According to Scarbs it will be an L4 with 37.7 cc/s if my figuring isn't too far off.
December 2nd, 2010 and I'll be darned...who could have guessed? :lol:
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Giblet
Giblet

Re: Formula One 1.6l turbo engine formula as of 2013

A merging has taken place of the other thread I have forgotten the name of. Something about the new engine regs suiting Ferrari.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

HampusA

Re: new engine rules to suit ferrari

dren wrote:It doesn't say the teams are for or against the V6 yet. They haven't voted on it. Mercedes was against the fact that the new rules were changing so quickly (and also probably due to the fact they have the best V8 at the moment). They didn't say anything about it being due to the I4 format.
All engine manufacturers of F1 have agreed on the new formula.

For the old one it was Ferrari who was against, Mercedes and Cosworth who complained about the costs of developing a new design. And Renault as we know was very much for the 4 cylinder engines.

But all have now agreed on the V6 layout.
The truth will come out...

WhiteBlue

So we have a lex Ferrari and a delay of one year to the original plan. The manufacturing cost will increase for an engine with two cylinder banks and the engine will be heavier and more bulky. The efficiency will be reduced compared to an I4 and the space for KERS will probably be reduced as well. And all this only that Ferrari have their marketing needs satisfied.

I'm happy that they finally found a solution but it is sad to see how one team can blackmail the whole F1 world into doing something irrational that is only wasting time and money.

The FiA has been forced to go back to the debate which was already decided a year ago and revise the decision of the expert group. The manufacturers will have to scrap most of the work they have done in the last seven month and the fuel wasting will continue one more year. At least we are going to see the new technology in 2014 and hopefully they have included a resource restriction plan in the compromise. If not we will have the next crisis when Cosworth, Mercedes and Renault find out that they are forced into a cost race they do not want to support.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

ESPImperium wrote:Ive said the logical step before a I4 was for it to go to a V6 first.

So if anyone is handing out prizes ill take mine now!!!
Well done that man. You win the freedom of Glasgow! :mrgreen:

xpensive
xpensive

Can't help myself from rolling around in my own humble clairvoyance, let's do this one more time,December 2nd, 2010;
WhiteBlue wrote:
A 1.6 liter turbo-V6 restricted to 12 kRpm, as well as a 2.0 Bar boost (3.0 absolute) and a fuelflow of 45 cc/second.
According to Scarbs it will be an L4 with 37.7 cc/s if my figuring isn't too far off.

andrew
andrew

Sorry X, the bragging rights have already gone to ESP.

Jeffsvilleusa

Gee whiz, Whiteblue, such a bleeding heart for all the needless fuel wasting- maybe you'd be happier if they didn't race at all?

Also I don't think it was Ferrari alone that induced the change, but the fans had quite a backlash as well [pats self on back].
Box! Box!

gridwalker
gridwalker

Re: new engine rules to suit ferrari

Just_a_fan wrote:That BBC article is poor. They start by saying that the rules will be for V6 engines and then the rest of the articel continues to talk about inline 4-cylinder motors. They've obviously done a rush-job copy and paste to put it together.
I'd noticed the BBC doing cut'n'shut jobs before, but this one takes the cake ...
The BBC wrote:These systems - currently known in F1 as Kers but more widely referred to as hybrids - were first used in F1 in 2009 before being abandoned for 2010, and are being reintroduced next season.
So, the article closes with information that is a year out of date; What absolutely terrible journalism.

As for the V6 decision, I doubt that it will make any difference to the racing at the end of the day. I'd have liked teams to have the option of selecting from different engine layouts (V6 turbos vs I4 turbos, like the 80s) but that was never going to happen. Other than this, I had very little interest in favouring one format over the other.

Still, I'll be glad to see the back of the engine freeze and accusations of inequality/cheating that comes with it. I just wish it wasn't going to be delayed by a year.

I wonder what Craig Pollock thinks about this ...
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

HampusA

In a sense i can see where Ferrari is coming from.
they don´t make small Megane´s or Clio´s.
They make supercars so having a 4cyl makes absolutely no sense.

then add the fact that they have been in the sport since the beginning.
What they say surely weighs alot more then what Renault says.

Renault is funny though, "we are in the red zone now!"
The truth will come out...

andrew
andrew

Jeffsvilleusa wrote:Also I don't think it was Ferrari alone that induced the change, but the fans had quite a backlash as well [pats self on back].
Would this not have gone to a vote of some sort anyway? If it did I can't see 1 team voting against the originally proposed engine format being enough to make the FIA change their plans.

I don't believe for 1 minute that Ferrari alone brought about this change but I guess if you have an extreme allergy to Ferrari then pigs can fly.

It's a pity though that they are not being given options for different engine formats and the teams can choose what they want.

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:Can't help myself from rolling around in my own humble clairvoyance, let's do this one more time,December 2nd, 2010;
You can be very proud to predict that Ferrari would force F1 into such an idiotic decision, but it remains to be seen if you fuel flow prediction materialises. The V6 may not be able to meet the target that was set for the I4. I'll be interested to learn what will happen there.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive
xpensive

WhiteBlue wrote:
Thank you indeed WB, as for the rest of my crystal-ball predictions of December 2nd, we can only wait and see right?

agip

Well Im happy with the decision. It is a good compromise for fans who love sound and those who want new technologies.

WB, I dont think its just Ferrari behing this. Other teams like McLaren are really worried about the future of the sport. And that obvously includes the fans.

andrew
andrew

WhiteBlue wrote:You can be very proud to predict that Ferrari would force F1 into such an idiotic decision, but it remains to be seen if you fuel flow prediction materialises. The V6 may not be able to meet the target that was set for the I4. I'll be interested to learn what will happen there.
Seriously, can you demonstrate that Ferrari were behind this? Do you reasonably think that one team was enough to change the proposed engine format? Why do you dislike Ferrari so much?

Surely a V6 engine is far more relevant to road going vehicle technology than an I4?