Mercedes GP 2011

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
jav
jav

Re: Mercedes GP 2011

marcush. wrote:there is fire under the roof of MGP, rest assured.
Brawn ,Norbert and other guys surely have received a cold headwind this morning if not earlier.
There is no debating ,the W02 is not enough to challenge RedBull,Mclaren and maybe nopt even Renault.

Rightfully so!

Ferrari should be doing the same thing.

McLaren looked destined to fail and they actually seem to be the only team even close to the Bulls.

Kudo's to Renault for bringing a good car on limited resources. About the only mis-step they made was allowing Robert to go rallying. A decision I'm sure all involved will second guess for many years to come.

Morteza

Bob Bell was set to be appointed as Mercedes GP technical director on April 1st. Is he with the team at the moment? Wasn't there gonna be a ceremony let's say to introduce him to the team? Is he the invisible man? I would be glad if anyone has any idea to share about his position at Mercedes GP. I saw in Mercedes GP wikipedia page today that he is the technical director, but Mercedes GP official website has not announced anything just yet.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Adamski

Looks like a massive upgrade to the back of the W02. Maybe first sings of Bob Bell's work.
Does anybody have a better picture from it?
Michael Schumacher: When you start out in a team, you have to get the teamwork going and then you get something back.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Can the mods open up the W02 thread? Pretty please?

What the hell is going on at the back? Is this Mercedes blowing the diffuser and not the top of the floor?
Seems there is a bulge that wasnt there before, indicating movement of innards.
Further to this...there are no damned vents! Hurrah :lol:
Very interesting.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Adamski

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Can the mods open up the W02 thread? Pretty please?

What the hell is going on at the back? Is this Mercedes blowing the diffuser and not the top of the floor?
Seems there is a bulge that wasnt there before, indicating movement of innards.
Further to this...there are no damned vents! Hurrah :lol:
Very interesting.
YEES! If you don't tell, I simply didn't notice the vents are gone. Oh yes =D>
Thank you :wink:
Michael Schumacher: When you start out in a team, you have to get the teamwork going and then you get something back.

dren

I didn't think I would ever see it on the W02, but now it makes sense. The forward blowing style of the old W02 exhaust must take a beating with the new EBD off throttle ban, so they are moving to something similar to the rest of the teams. Also note the big ass opening to exhaust the cooling flow. No sight of cooling fins...yet :)

Wow, it looks like that exhaust is made of HDPE and screwed to the floor. Looks like it'll melt instantly!
Honda!

Adamski

I don't want to go far away with this picture, but it means for me:

- the team sort out their overheating issues
- the team get a solution to the poor traction, what means
- the team sorted out their rear tire issues
- the team get the biggest aerodynamic upgrade since the Barcelona winter test
- and all in all, this is a B spec car after the big winter update.

At least at the factory, it worked.

Hopefully it will work on the racetrack too. :twisted:

Coefficient
Coefficient

dren wrote:I didn't think I would ever see it on the W02, but now it makes sense. The forward blowing style of the old W02 exhaust must take a beating with the new EBD off throttle ban, so they are moving to something similar to the rest of the teams. Also note the big ass opening to exhaust the cooling flow. No sight of cooling fins...yet :)

Wow, it looks like that exhaust is made of HDPE and screwed to the floor. Looks like it'll melt instantly!

Won't moving the focus of the EBD rearward towards the axle make the car more sensitive coming off throttle on corner entry now that the of throttle ban is coming in? I was thinking that Renault and Mercedes might have a more forgiving design with thir more centrally positioned equiment. I therefore conclude that the old exhaust were the main cause of cooling problems being squeezed into such a short chassis. I suggest the modification is more to address this issue.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

dren

Coefficient wrote:
dren wrote:I didn't think I would ever see it on the W02, but now it makes sense. The forward blowing style of the old W02 exhaust must take a beating with the new EBD off throttle ban, so they are moving to something similar to the rest of the teams. Also note the big ass opening to exhaust the cooling flow. No sight of cooling fins...yet :)

Won't moving the focus of the EBD rearward towards the axle make the car more sensitive coming off throttle on corner entry now that the of throttle ban is coming in? I was thinking that Renault and Mercedes might have a more forgiving design with thir more centrally positioned equiment. I therefore conclude that the old exhaust were the main cause of cooling problems being squeezed into such a short chassis. I suggest the modification is more to address this issue.
Good point. I am not sure if the exhaust was overheating the tires or if the poor suspension design/set-up was the cause. I remember the team picking up quite a bit of pace early on with just simple spring rate changes and other simple set-up changes.

The Renault exhaust will not be hurt as much because of where the downforce is generated, which is in the center of the car. The Mercedes generates downforce more at the rear the way the exhaust is blown. From what I've read, the Red Bull doesn't blow the rear that hard to get the required results from their EBD design. The new Mercedes design will likely clean up the flow around the rear wheels.
Honda!

PlatinumZealot

Told you guys copying is a legitimate form of engineering! This is prove true too many times in Formula 1!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

bot6
bot6

OK, so RB style exhausts, which means new floor and diffuser, as well as new engine cover. The lower rear suspension wishbones are also new.

The guys at Brackley have been busy!

fadal
fadal

Yup, looks like copy from RB. I had read something recently, Mercedes Technical Director have said that the only way to beat RB by copying the back and blown exhaust of RB. (sorry forget at which url that i read)

Adamski

So a little bit down on the front runners, 1,25 sec behind Vettel. Also a big gap between Button and Rosberg. That is the true picture, what we will see in the race, I think.

Maybe the ban of engine-mapping changes from qualifying to race ruins the teams Saturday performance. But it's true for Renault also.
Fingers crossed for tomorrow, hopefully they will not burns the rear tires so fast. [-o<

marcush.
marcush.

Mercedes seems to lose significantly as the rules are tightened ,same goes for lotus renault.

Adamski

marcush. wrote:Mercedes seems to lose significantly as the rules are tightened ,same goes for lotus renault.
:cry:
Yes, looks like a little bit down today. It's like Malaysia. They simply don't have enough speed. At least they are still the 4th team in terms of true pace. I'm really looking forward to see, what will happens at the next race. The new exhaust, will they race it? Will they solve cooling issues?

Ross Brawn said, they can focus on the pace now, as they are solved the rear tire issues. I don't know, if today they are suffer with cooling, but I don't think so.
As Ferrari slowly close the gap, I'm really hopeful Mercedes can do the same. It's a big gap, but maybe from next race, there is a different championship, at least for Merc GP.