Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dren

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Ferraripilot wrote:
vealio wrote:Now it happened what Ross said after the Barcelona test. If they see gains with the Red Bull solution in the windtunnel, they´ll adopt it.

I do recall him saying that. By the look of it, they had DHL pick up the car directly from the wind tunnel and move it down to Spain. I have to say, this change caught me off-guard
I don't remember that. Must have missed it. Yeah, looks like a fresh off the truck delivery. Hope it nets some good gains. Wonder if the rake will be changed.
Honda!

Rikhart
Rikhart

So it actually took them all this time to convert to RB style exhaust? I really can´t believe this, they are one of the slowest teams on the paddock to implement changes, then. #-o

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

I'm actually upset I wont get to see that exhaust in a nightime race. There's always HRT I guess.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Maybe the net gain of adopting the RB style exhaust was small.

If Mclaren can implement the exhaust in 4 weeks Im pretty certain Mercedes can do so in about the same time, had they the need to.
With the throttle not being allowed to blow in the off position, Mercedes may have surmised that this was the better solution.

Overall, I dont think anyone can say for certain what the effects will be. But McLaren Red Bull, Mercedes and Renault all relied on the system quite heavily.

Mercedes blowing from the centre rearwards, will have created an ideal area of downforce pressure for them. This system may be a compromise or it may be what they need to configure their cooling requirements, which as we know has been their main target of correcting along with tyre wear.
More could have been done.
David Purley

dren

Yeah, for all we know, this exhaust has been in the works for a long time just waiting to be put on the car once the cooling and rear tire issues were sorted out. But, I believe the new exhaust has come because of the recent rule changes. I expect Ross to spill some beans on the reasoning.
Honda!

PlatinumZealot

Not Really, these exhausts were under development months ago. Remember Ross Brawn said he didn't want to push this update too close because it would interfere with the team trying to understand the car. The RedBull Ideas was the obvious no-brainer since Australia.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

dren

Sounds like exhausts may be tested but not raced until Silverstone. Nico said the team had qualification engine maps just like the other teams.
Honda!

Francesc
Francesc

dren wrote:Image
Interesting =D>

mep

What kind of material is this white stuff?

Ferraripilot

mep wrote:What kind of material is this white stuff?

It could be like a dupont high temp nylon material like zytel ppa, but I think even that doesn't have an operating range over 240C or something.

wesley123
wesley123

I belive this is rapid prototyping, used alot with brake ducts, floor pieces and other small pieces, for example footplates
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

marcush.
marcush.

rp -polyamide- as windform xt and others is not suitable for this sort of temps.it will deform -melt.
the melting point is below 180°C so not windform xt http://www.windform.it/PDF/SCHEDA_WF_XT_2_0_ENG.pdf:

I´m rewferring to the exhaust cover ,not the brake ducting which is indeed winform xt 2.0 or equivalent.
Last edited by marcush. on 24 Jun 2011, 00:19, edited 2 times in total.

FrukostScones

we know this hole, but nicecloseup
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Ferraripilot

Brawn announcing new floors are coming.

regarding how the EBD changes will affect MB:
"I don’t think that it will be a big difference here (Valencia) - maybe a little bit because we can’t use some of the qualifying modes - but the big difference will come at Silverstone. To be honest, we’ve new floors coming over the next few races which are focused on this technology and we have got to understand how much of it we still can now neutralize and how much we can still benefit from. We’ve got to assess in the next few races what the best direction is, because the direction might change with the interpretation of the regulation. It is not a new regulation; it’s simply an interpretation of an existing regulation."

ringo

Everything will converge to 1 design.

There is one optimum.

No ... Brainer. 8)
For Sure!!