McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

alelanza wrote:
n smikle wrote:Here is my statement, kind sir.
Maybe with the U shaped side pods they don't need one.. I am thinking they loved their drag reducing F-duct idea so much that the designers of the car pushed the U-pod Idea through. It is almost like permanent drag reduction, you can crank up the wings and not face the drag penalty.
My sentences are hardly every constructed in the best way, (I'm not the best writer!) but reading the post in whole, SURELY you must have realised that I was suggesting that the body of the MP4-26 has less drag than the MP4-25? That is, You can set the MP4-26 with more aggressive wings and the drag would be less than if you put the same wings on the MP4-25. No?

Trust me, I would have to be on crack to post what you think I posted.
Fair enough mate, just wanted to clarify, but yeah, i agree with you overall.
8)
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

doink
doink

So do we have any idea if/what upgrades are coming for Valencia?

PlatinumZealot

The mclaren Mp4-26 is the most egg shaped "fuselage" of all in the plan view. Yeah it sitll has more surface area for sure.

But if we want to split hairs, we have to account for the surface roughness of the paint. Then we run a CFD of the mclaren pods vs normal pods.

Racing Green in 2028

HampusA

Interesting picture. I always thought the "channels" were more directed at the rear wing/diffuser instead of them fading away towards the end.
The truth will come out...

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Would you say the shortest distance (choke point?) between the tire and body is about the same?

Is the tapper at the rear of the new side-pod better or worse than the old car?

Brian

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Is the red really red?

Why is the Mercedes logo now Silver instead of Black?

Why is the center of the 2011 wing not painted silver?

Why does the Bridgestone tyre have flash lines down the middle?

chepoi
chepoi

Diesel wrote:Is the red really red?

Why is the Mercedes logo now Silver instead of Black?

Why is the center of the 2011 wing not painted silver?

Why does the Bridgestone tyre have flash lines down the middle?
why you asking that kind of questions? :lol: :lol: :P :roll:

Steven
Owner

chepoi wrote:Why you asking that kind of questions? :lol: :lol: :P :roll:
Because he's trying to make the point that hardingfv32 is asking questions that either everyone can see or nobody can give a correct answer to. No point in asking any such questions.

Shall we return to the topic then?

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

I'll reword the question.

Comparing the two photos above, it seem like there is a definite compromise between the lower side-pod flow vs the upper side-pod flow. From what we can see is this correct or an over simplification?

Brian

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

hardingfv32 wrote:I'll reword the question.

Comparing the two photos above, it seem like there is a definite compromise between the lower side-pod flow vs the upper side-pod flow. From what we can see is this correct or an over simplification?

Brian
That's correct.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

PlatinumZealot

The zone in between the front inner edge of the rear wheels and the side-pods is at a very low velocity. The speed increases after that zone.

Racing Green in 2028

thestig84
thestig84

Got a few pics from the amazing garage visit I had on the Thursday of the Canadian GP thanks to my Mclaren link. I saw everything but obviously they were very cagey on the rear of the car as it hadnt been built up yet and no cameras near the floors being built. I did get some interesting stuff but I dont want to get anyone in trouble so here are just a few shots from the front.

PlatinumZealot

Thanks. Could you enlighten us on the interesting stuff you took?

Racing Green in 2028

thestig84
thestig84

n smikle wrote:Thanks. Could you enlighten us on the interesting stuff you took?
Nothing that probably hasnt been seen before but just being safe. Stuff a bit closer to the rear with no bodywork on really. Just interesting detail pics. Also the area round the back of the garage where front wings were being constructed, tyres fitted etc.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

thestig84 wrote:
n smikle wrote:Thanks. Could you enlighten us on the interesting stuff you took?
Nothing that probably hasnt been seen before but just being safe. Stuff a bit closer to the rear with no bodywork on really. Just interesting detail pics. Also the area round the back of the garage where front wings were being constructed, tyres fitted etc.
Nice, must have been a great experience.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)