McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
thestig84
thestig84

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

Owen.C93 wrote: Nice, must have been a great experience.
Your not wrong, a day Ill never forget! Met every single driver too. In fact that was the only regret, getting so carried away with the occasion I now realise I didnt actually look at the car half as much as I would have liked!! Might have been because I did feel a bit in the way as they were still building.
n smikle wrote: It's not like they are inviting you again anyway so let us see them.. :twisted:
Well I rather hope it might happen again actually! I doubt it, I was very lucky that day (Canada being so far away helped) but as long as I know who I know then I wouldnt want to spoil it. Sorry.

SiLo

Has the nosecone changed shaped? Looks more rounded to me than previously.
Felipe Baby!

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

It does look as if the nosecone has changed, it does look more rounded, and almost a hybrid between the MP4/25 and MP4/24s nose cone, as if they have gone and mated and made that baby.

It looks lower as well, not to mention it looks to have new wind supports as well.

Also looks as if the front wing has rapid prototyped step wings on them.

The new update looks as if they have found arround 3 tenths of a second id recon.

ringo

beelsebob wrote:
n smikle wrote:The more upward the wake normally indicates that the car is making a whole heap of downforce.
Yes, what I'm getting at is that it's so upward that it hits the wing and becomes very backward instead. That doesn't look great.
Dont forget that the wing opens as well, so the flow vis will be affected by that.
It normally doesn't look this way with a fixed wing.
That bald patch behind the flap is due to the stalling.

It normally wont go backward.
For Sure!!

Isak
Isak

ringo wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
n smikle wrote:The more upward the wake normally indicates that the car is making a whole heap of downforce.
Yes, what I'm getting at is that it's so upward that it hits the wing and becomes very backward instead. That doesn't look great.
Dont forget that the wing opens as well, so the flow vis will be affected by that.
It normally doesn't look this way with a fixed wing.
That bald patch behind the flap is due to the stalling.

It normally wont go backward.
Makes no sense to use flowviz if you open the DRS.

Either you run flowvis with a fully closed wing or you run it with a fully open wing. If you mix in DRS in it the readings will be all over the place.

ringo

then that must be when it is open.
For Sure!!

wesley123
wesley123

ringo wrote:then that must be when it is open.
Normal flow imo. The further it is from the wing the more horizontal it goes, this is probably also driven by the end plate itself and the cutout behind the wing.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

Isak wrote: Makes no sense to use flowviz if you open the DRS.

Either you run flowvis with a fully closed wing or you run it with a fully open wing. If you mix in DRS in it the readings will be all over the place.
They ran without DRS all session. Lewis even asked why it wasn't working until the team reminded him of the particular job in hand. :lol:

shelly
shelly

I think they have tried the flow viz without opening the drs. And they have discovered some stall of the flap. Will we see them drop down this wing tomorrow?
twitter: @armchair_aero

ringo

wesley123 wrote:
ringo wrote:then that must be when it is open.
Normal flow imo. The further it is from the wing the more horizontal it goes, this is probably also driven by the end plate itself and the cutout behind the wing.
Ok i see what you are saying now. You are referring to the rearward of the wing?

When you say backwards, that to me means opposite of the normal flow direction, which is misleading.

looks a little strange. Like the bald area was a result of someone wiping away some of the flow vis.
Last edited by ringo on 25 Jun 2011, 02:15, edited 1 time in total.
For Sure!!

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

wesley123
wesley123

@Ringo

There seems to be a bit of flow seperation though, just before th slot gap, then it gets fed again and it seems some air is attracted to that.

This cutout creates low pressure, this detaiched air will prbably just take the easiest way out with the gurney tab there. I dont think there is a significant loss of df, the low pressure area and the air between the end plates and under the wing help over come that a bit. Now saying this, the end plate trailing edge(vertical part) got a gurney, by this the air just probably goes straight through there, the lowest stripe of wing wouldnt follow the flow line anyway.

Wont say this is all wrong here, but surely interresting. the dark blue fade just in front of the slot gap suggest flow seperation.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ringo

Something tells me they were using DRS with this.
regardless of what was reported. I heard Hamilton forgot that he shouldn't use it, so this may be a result of him messing up the test.
For Sure!!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I think they would have disabled DRS rather than risk an inadvertent opening by the driver. If Hamilton asked why it wasn't working, that would suggest he pressed the button and got no response from the system.

Therefore I think the flow is pure "slot closed".
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ianwit
ianwit

Just_a_fan wrote:I think they would have disabled DRS rather than risk an inadvertent opening by the driver. If Hamilton asked why it wasn't working, that would suggest he pressed the button and got no response from the system.

Therefore I think the flow is pure "slot closed".
Correct, there was a pit radio clip when Lewis was asking why the DRS wasn't working, so we can assume he tried it and it didn't work. I presume theres a cockpit readout or he can see it in his mirrors.
Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.