Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Mercedes have developed the best of all the feild so far is the DRS as their DRS seems to do its job better than any in the feild, as they have solved the problem they had early season with flow re-attachement.
Last edited by Giblet on 25 Jun 2011, 04:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed OT and moved it to the Renault thread.

Ferraripilot

New floors with EBD coming for Silverstone per Brawn at a press conf this afternoon.

ringo

It actually suffers with the radiator arrangement, the tyre wear, the cooling, the aero, almost everything it suffers all because of the lack of space.

They should put a 4 inch spacer/adapter between the gearbox and engine.

They've thrown everything and the kitchen sink. Might as well put in the spacer and ease the other burdens by redesigning the cooling, the exhaust, the floors and sidepods.
Last edited by Giblet on 25 Jun 2011, 04:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed OT
For Sure!!

Giblet
Giblet

Really, developments of the car please. Stop bickering about other cars and wheelbases.

If you have to talk about the team do it in the Mercedes GP 2011 thread.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

How do you propose getting a sufficient amount of air flow to the wing slot? Not just any air source but one that has a passive activation characteristic.

Brian

GSBellew
GSBellew

The Monaco spec gills on the side pod above the exhaust outlet were back again in practice 3 so no solution to the cooling issues yet :(

marcush.
marcush.

Mercedes is chipping away at their issues ,or how it is called by MS :work in progress.
Instead of overambitious throwing of updates they work with what they got and know and use FP1/2 to test /map possible development steps for the next races without losing the plot and sacrifice setup quality in the face of changing regs this seems a reasonable attitude.

Calm and collected focused on the big target...as they should be .

Adamski

ringo wrote:It actually suffers with the radiator arrangement, the tyre wear, the cooling, the aero, almost everything it suffers all because of the lack of space.

They should put a 4 inch spacer/adapter between the gearbox and engine.

They've thrown everything and the kitchen sink. Might as well put in the spacer and ease the other burdens by redesigning the cooling, the exhaust, the floors and sidepods.
I fully apply your opinions Ringo, as it's now confirmed that they miscalculated (again) the wheelbase and the balance of the car.
But why they are don't do what you say? I think it's the rules of homologation, as they can't change the chassis, isn't it?
Michael Schumacher: When you start out in a team, you have to get the teamwork going and then you get something back.

marcush.
marcush.

nah.
a spacer will seriously compromise the installation stiffness then you need new floor and to make use of the found space a reshaped sidepod would be needed as well...

But are theay really wrong with what they got? it´s not like they struggle to get into Q3 now they understand the car ..They are fighting with renault for p4 in the constructors so relative to the opposition they have made similar progress methinks.

Adamski

marcush. wrote:nah.
a spacer will seriously compromise the installation stiffness then you need new floor and to make use of the found space a reshaped sidepod would be needed as well...

But are theay really wrong with what they got? it´s not like they struggle to get into Q3 now they understand the car ..They are fighting with renault for p4 in the constructors so relative to the opposition they have made similar progress methinks.
It was Ross Brawn, who says if they can start today rebuilding this car, they do some things ("The wheel base perhaps, the fuel weight, the fuel distribution") in a different way.
So I think if the rules would enabled some bigger changes on the car, they would probably did it.
Michael Schumacher: When you start out in a team, you have to get the teamwork going and then you get something back.

Joie de vivre

i dont get it

why the hell arent they using new updates??? they are a second slower than first one

marcush.
marcush.

Brawn said they would have done thin gs differently .Hindsight is a great thing but not necesaryly it is indicating you would NOW change everything if you could.
They learn a whole lot these days.
You learn most from the things you do wrong not from what you do right but don´t know why.

vealio
vealio

He said the position of the fuel cell could be better (CoG too high), wheelbase too so basically the same things as last year. Wonder why they got it wrong again for the W02 when they knew the W01 had those issues and it was the wrong way to go?

PlatinumZealot

Too conservative designers. You those people who are afraid to throw all their previous work into the trash (or recycle bin?)? I have a feeling that those are the guys at Merc. Too conservative - afraid to change big.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Adamski

n smikle wrote:Too conservative designers. You those people who are afraid to throw all their previous work into the trash (or recycle bin?)? I have a feeling that those are the guys at Merc. Too conservative - afraid to change big.

If it's not a big change, than what?