Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
N12ck

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

The dimples picture is on the rb6 not rb7 i think
Budding F1 Engineer

thechainrule
thechainrule

McG wrote:I inquired about the dimples thing a few years ago, I thought I was onto something, but it had already been tried by Williams on their suspension. The dimples are only useful for such things like golf balls. So unless there is something completely bulbous on an F1 car it's probably just the weave.
Correct me if I'm wrong here but doesn't the dimpled surface have to move to be of any benefit here? A golf ball loses its boundary layer effect once the spin on the ball starts to slow, a wheel when it stops turning, a shark when it stops swimming ...

flynfrog

hardingfv32 wrote:The teams know all the issues of surface finish with their laminates. Could we assume that this type of finish (show through?) is on purpose in this case. If so, does it have any benefit at the air speeds the cars see?

Brian
you can believe whatever you want but its pretty clearly the carbon weave showing through the paint.

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92717

interesting, thats quite a big loss in terms of performance, i wonder if the other teams will lose the same
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

Caito
Caito

flynfrog wrote:
hardingfv32 wrote:The teams know all the issues of surface finish with their laminates. Could we assume that this type of finish (show through?) is on purpose in this case. If so, does it have any benefit at the air speeds the cars see?

Brian
you can believe whatever you want but its pretty clearly the carbon weave showing through the paint.
+299.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

BreezyRacer wrote:
bjpower wrote:they have been experimenting with a rough skin design on planes.
( not sure if this is why there are dimples on the red bull car or not)
the theory is...

air gets "trapped" by the dimples bascally giving a thing cote of air around the car.
the friction generated by air passing over your car is now air passing over air. so less drag.

the theory is the same for shark skin and Olympic swim suits, they trap water around them so it is water over water.

but i have not heard of anyone getting it to work at high speeds.

god im crap at explaining things
google shark skin
FYI ..
http://www.businessinsider.com/modified ... ord-2011-6
IT'S ABOUT AERO PAINT.

flynfrog

BreezyRacer wrote:
BreezyRacer wrote:
bjpower wrote:they have been experimenting with a rough skin design on planes.
( not sure if this is why there are dimples on the red bull car or not)
the theory is...

air gets "trapped" by the dimples bascally giving a thing cote of air around the car.
the friction generated by air passing over your car is now air passing over air. so less drag.

the theory is the same for shark skin and Olympic swim suits, they trap water around them so it is water over water.

but i have not heard of anyone getting it to work at high speeds.

god im crap at explaining things
google shark skin
FYI ..
http://www.businessinsider.com/modified ... ord-2011-6
IT'S ABOUT AERO PAINT.
Seems the paints aim is to make the pain smoother. When you simulate icing conditions on aircraft its common to put sandpaper on the wings I can tell you that they do not work better with a rough surface.

AbbaleRacing77
AbbaleRacing77

Watch this video.... It explains exactly why a smooth surface is better than a textured surface specific to a formula one car.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/ ... talk-2011/

It explains that a golf ball like texture keeps the flow of air attached to the the ball, but due to the fact that f1 cars have wings the flow is already designed to stay attached to the wing without sacrificing the friction of the dimples, therefore it is faster to NOT use textured surfaces on f1 cars.

Fil

Robbobnob wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92717

interesting, thats quite a big loss in terms of performance, i wonder if the other teams will lose the same
Definitely interesting to claim a 0.5sec loss. But yeah, it really doesn't mean much when there's no other team figures to benchmark against.

And then the question remains why would Marko admit something so confidential & sensitive? I'd suspect it is less (or significantly more) than that, and he's only saying so in an attempt to fox the other teams into a false sense of apprehension (or security).
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

Fil

The other possibility Ringo, is that he's telling the truth, but not the whole truth.

Ultimate single lap time is merely one measurable in this instance & not the complete story.

BUT other elements, such as increased rear tyre wear & reduced braking stability, may have been impacted on rather more significantly..
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

Byronrhys

N12ck wrote:The dimples picture is on the rb6 not rb7 i think
Nope.. You can See Di Resta, Maldonado on the the Timing and Pirelli on the Mechanics shirt.

zac510
zac510

RBR can lose 0.5 sec if Ferrari and McLaren lose 0.5 sec too and they surely will. It's relative.

I know everybody's willing this to be a game changer but I'm sure the team order will be mostly the same at Silverstone.
No good turn goes unpunished.

phate
phate

Hi all,

I've been following this forum for quite a long time now and finally I am able to contribute something.

Yesterday Christian Horner said in an interview that the RB7 doesn't use the "hot-blowing" diffusor. It just used the so called "cold-blowing" diffusor:

http://www.formel1.de/de/3260/Horner%3A ... ID/1668366

If this is relly true the advantage of RB could even get bigger. I have no clue, why Marko and horner telling different things, but I found it interesting and wanted to let you know.

Keep writing a lot of the technical staff, really interesting!

phate

P.S.: Sorry I couldn't find an english translation somewhere. If somebody does please post the link.

Ferraripilot

phate wrote:Hi all,

I've been following this forum for quite a long time now and finally I am able to contribute something.

Yesterday Christian Horner said in an interview that the RB7 doesn't use the "hot-blowing" diffusor. It just used the so called "cold-blowing" diffusor:

http://www.formel1.de/de/3260/Horner%3A ... ID/1668366

If this is relly true the advantage of RB could even get bigger. I have no clue, why Marko and horner telling different things, but I found it interesting and wanted to let you know.

Keep writing a lot of the technical staff, really interesting!

phate

P.S.: Sorry I couldn't find an english translation somewhere. If somebody does please post the link.

If it doesn't use it then why would they quote a performance difference of .500 I wonder?

Also, another poster stated above that braking stability and tire wear and most likely overall balance of the car will be affected as well. I can certainly see this, but I must wonder when they claim half a second loss, I assume they must mean qualifying because under full load they will certainly lose more than that. They will not have the ability to proceed 2 more laps+ than everyone else on tires as well.

PlatinumZealot

Robbobnob wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92717

This is obviously fear-mongering and psychological warfare. It stinks of it.

Think about how he says - IN ONE WEEK - "oh we are going to loose 0.5 seconds a lap - and You guys, Ferrari and Mclaren will loose it too! - BUT we have upgrades to make up for it so you guys will be now 1.5 seconds slower than us!!"

PURE trash talk if you ask me!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028