COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

FW17

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

strad wrote:
Strad, the last time a race was run at Indy, neither of us would have been born.
Lost me there.
A small F1 contingent in America is no small number. ASk SPEED what their viewing numbers are in the U.S. Check how many millions set their VCRS and DVRs or stay up til God awful early morning hours to watch.
BTW,,Real fans watch and support many kinds of racing. And we love racing, not the circus...We don't care which Movie/Rock star shows up.
Last time F1 raced at Indy was in 1960. I choose to ignore what happened recently.

F1 keeps saying that it needs US than the US needs F1; So why shouldn't the US demand what it wants from F1?

ecapox

WilliamsF1 wrote: Last time F1 raced at Indy was in 1960. I choose to ignore what happened recently.
If you choose to ignore what "happened recently" that does not mean that it didnt happen. It just means that you are living in the land of Make Believe.

I surely hope this US GP happens and it is made commercially viable for all parties involved, no matter if they want a fancy garden or the developers need to buy "carbon offsets".

The past years at Indy shows that there is a lot of F1 love in the US. The track wasnt the best, but people did come and it was enjoyable with the exception of the six car race. I just need something to be concrete about WHEN the race is happening so i can buy tickets and book a hotel.

Giblet
Giblet

WilliamsF1 wrote:
strad wrote:
Strad, the last time a race was run at Indy, neither of us would have been born.
Lost me there.
A small F1 contingent in America is no small number. ASk SPEED what their viewing numbers are in the U.S. Check how many millions set their VCRS and DVRs or stay up til God awful early morning hours to watch.
BTW,,Real fans watch and support many kinds of racing. And we love racing, not the circus...We don't care which Movie/Rock star shows up.
Last time F1 raced at Indy was in 1960. I choose to ignore what happened recently.

F1 keeps saying that it needs US than the US needs F1; So why shouldn't the US demand what it wants from F1?
Last Indy F1 race was not in the 60's despite what you want to believe. Over 200,000 people for the first race. That is great attendance.

Waht I came here to post though is that the V8 supercars are coming to Austin in 2013.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/ ... as-in-2013
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

donskar
donskar

I think the Austin race could be key moment for F1 -- especially if it fails.

The teams and -- more importantly -- the manufacturers and sponsors WANT a race or races in the USA. I will not offend your intelligence by explaining why.

But, to a large extent, the USA doesn't care, or is even actively opposed to F1. Austin has shown this very clearly.

Now it is up to F1 -- Bernie, the teams, the sponsors -- to win over the US audience. Hold your political rhetoric in check; think about this in terms of dollars and common sense. If it is shown that Bernie's charges are simply too high to be economically feasible, and/or that F1 is too "elitist" maybe Austin can do F1 some long term good.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Giblet
Giblet

I met so many US fans when I was at the Canadian GP that all I can do is politely disagree that a country with 300,000,000+ people won't fill the stands. We'll just have to see I guess, but I'll be there with my overly white Canadian skin.

F1's popularity and viewing numbers have increased in the last couple years, and NASCAR's ratings have declined over 12% over since 2008.
Last edited by Giblet on 01 Jul 2011, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mEEllions.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

FW17

1960 was last F1 oval race.

The talk was of a second f1 race in the USA.

Why not the second race cater to a something more familiar to USA and enlarge F1's audience.

donskar
donskar

WilliamsF1 wrote:1960 was last F1 oval race.

Why not the second race cater to a something more familiar to USA and enlarge F1's audience.
F1 cars raced head-to-head against Indy cars long ago at Monza. Did not work well. Running on an oval would probably require some suspension mods and possibly different tires, but should not be impossible. Why not?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Jeffsvilleusa

donskar wrote:F1 cars raced head-to-head against Indy cars long ago at Monza. Did not work well. Running on an oval would probably require some suspension mods and possibly different tires, but should not be impossible. Why not?
But if F1 were to do it, where else but Indianapolis? And F1 already burned that bridge.
Box! Box!

Mr Alcatraz

WilliamsF1 wrote:1960 was last F1 oval race.

To me that is negative reinforcement. It is suggesting that F1 can't succeed as a road racing series. IMO that is absurd. F1 does not need to change as a competition for the U.S. There is already a whole crap-load of oval track races over here. F1 on an oval would be just one more, and IMO a terrible idea.
As for the second race, if it needs s to be a street course, put it in Mexico City. Draw more fans from central and South America as well as the hard-core U.S. fans. I don't know how viable it is however just thought I'd throw it out there.
FYI I Strad and I were both among the living in 1960.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

F1 running on an oval would be quite interesting. I'd be for it. But, it would require a significant change to the tires and mechanical redesign of the cars.. all for one race.

The amount of corner load you can generate at a fast oval with high banking is.. outrageous. There's a reason why the minimum allowed COLD inflation at the NASCAR race at Daytona this weekend is 50 psi (3.45 bar). I'll let you work out your own guesses as to what that winds up being after the tires climb from ambient to running temp.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Mr Alcatraz

Jeffsvilleusa wrote:Why not? Nascar tosses in a few road courses, so F1 could do an oval- would definitely shake things up in terms of who can adapt or not. Also an engineering challenge.

And I definitely like the idea of 2 US races :P

However, I like Mark Webber's idea:
Q: You must choose a city for a new Formula One street circuit - which city, anywhere in the world, do you choose, and why?
Mark Webber: I would say downtown San Francisco. All those hills and jumps - it would be very good, and great to watch for the fans.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> :mrgreen:
Jeff you know what the chances of that happening are! :-({|=
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

flynfrog

crap the hotel I was going to book is full already. It was right by sixth street too.

Jeffsvilleusa

Tazio wrote:Jeff you know what the chances of that happening are! :-({|=
It's a tough sell, I'll admit. Especially in a "progressive" city where pollution is out of vogue :roll: But hey, I didn't say it, Mark Webber did!
Box! Box!

strad

They could never handle the roughness and surface changes...From Nurburg we know they no longer have the balls to jump the cars.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

jon-mullen

Sorry to say I think this is the closest you're going to get.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8rPx3BXNqw[/youtube]
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR