Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

-Tifosi_dude- wrote:First time poster, long time lurker. I don't know if this has been posted already but I remember some of you talking about the golf ball dimples on an f1 car, well I think this picture shows that the RB7 has the dimples on the engine cover. Could this also be the explanation of Ferrari's bad looking paint job near the exhaust?
http://yfrog.com/z/h8jeglbp
This was on RB6 and RB5.. there are the material. Dry carbon fibre has very little resin so the surface is not very smooth.

I have went up close and personal to a 2004 DTM Audi car, and it had this very same effect. nothing new.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

marcush.
marcush.

it surely depends on the carbon cloth you are using .
With the textreme carbonfibre tape as we very often see as a checker weave on car floors itΒ΄s a very flat and smooth finish.
But using heavy weight carbon weave and low resin content ..you end up with this surface finish

PlatinumZealot

hardingfv32 wrote:"Say if the driver is 50% on throttle the engine will "use" the other 50% of the air to burn after the power stroke."

First, this is not really off throttle mapping. As defined in your statement, the driver is clearly at part throttle.

Regardless, in theory it sounds useful for that small amount of time the driver is accelerating out of a turn at part throttle. I just question whether the engine can accomplish such a task. I would think that the fuel and timing would have to be very odd and create some very bad temperatures and possible combustion issues.

Brian
Confirmation that the EBD is overrun during partial throttle.. 8)

Second audio trak @ 16 minutes in..

http://plus.autosport.com/free/feature/ ... m-podcast/

Racing Green in 2028

Aerotrax
Aerotrax

marcush. wrote:it surely depends on the carbon cloth you are using .
With the textreme carbonfibre tape as we very often see as a checker weave on car floors itΒ΄s a very flat and smooth finish.
But using heavy weight carbon weave and low resin content ..you end up with this surface finish
marcush. Fibermax Composites also has spread tow products that perform the same(they also make them in tapes of any width) see
http://www.fibermaxcomposites.com/shop/-p-816.html
http://www.fibermaxcomposites.com/shop/-p-641.html
check out the price...

atanatizante

Could this be a new hole which focus all the hot gases (engine heat, KERS heat etc.) and channels them towards the diffuser in order to claw back some DF now that they`ll have just limited use off-trottle EBD?

Regarding to the new rules:
1)Would it be possible to have two throttle positions that give tangible feedback to the driver? I.e. 1cm in which doesn’t actually give drive but does keep the throttle open to use the hot/cold diffuser blowing; while beyond that the actual torque/power request gets sent to the engine?
2)What is preventing them from opening the throttle considerably when the throttle is barely pressed? Even retarding the timing in this scenario to prevent the generation of torque but still energize the exhaust gases because n_smikle said qoute "At part throttle you can deliberately operate the engine at a very low combustion efficiency only giving the driver enough power for traction and the rest is exhausted". Unless we are going back to the snorkel exhausts.
3)What`s in the rules regarding when a driver hits the gas but only PARTIALY, let`s say 8%, in a corner? Because I think they could set up an engine mapping that allows them to get the maximum exhaust regardless the % of the throttle activation.

Another thing. Could they place a slope into a exhaust pipe in order to create DF? Is this allowed or it`s inefficient?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

No that's just a cooling hole they've had for a while.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

hecti
hecti

Owen.C93 wrote:No that's just a cooling hole they've had for a while.
I think thats their hot race cover, i think they've only used it at Valencia so far. It prevents them from having to run an even bigger exit in the center pointing at the beam wing.

PlatinumZealot

That was there from like 10 races ago. 8)

kidding i will find out which race, but it was there for a while now.

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

I see photos of that exit as far back as Turkey... maybe there before though.

http://www.formula1.com/gallery/race/20 ... riday.html

Racing Green in 2028

raymondu999

Regarding hot race exhausts, this mammoth blowhole they have for an exhaust above the beamwing is their hot race exhaust. They have one with a smaller hole actually. If you look back at Melbourne vs Malaysia (I think) you should see the difference VERY clearly.
ε€±θ΄₯θ€…ζ‰Ύη†η”±οΌŒζˆεŠŸθ€…ζ‰Ύζ–Ήζ³•

Richard
Richard

n smikle wrote:That was there from like 10 races ago. 8)

Spoken like a long standing RB fan. :wtf:

PlatinumZealot

richard_leeds wrote:
n smikle wrote:That was there from like 10 races ago. 8)

Spoken like a long standing RB fan. :wtf:
what up family? 8)

Racing Green in 2028

earlrue
earlrue

Newey says diffuser ban will hit Red Bull Racing 'quite heav

"I think we will be quite heavily affected because our car was designed around the exhaust in as much as it was part of the design right from the outset," Newey told news agency Reuters.

chilling... :sick:

ringo

heavily affected could mean the car gets "heavier" with more downforce. :mrgreen:

Tell it to the judge Newey. :wink:

We don't need your self-deprecation to make things look evened out.

He knows aint a dang thing going to change with the hierarchy.
Helmut "Bull spitter" Marko already spilled the beans.
For Sure!!

munudeges
munudeges

I'm sure Newey would like to let everyone else believe they will be badly affected, but I just can't see it. If you've got an aerodynamically efficient car as Red Bull appear to do then that's not something you can take away just by getting one aspect of it handicapped.

If other teams have been behind this then all I can see that they've done is taken away a massive area of performance that they could have used to catch Red Bull up. Taking that away means that performance gains around the rear of the car are going to be at a premium, and that favours the most aerodynamically efficient car because your areas of development are extremely limited.

I think Red Bull will play around in practice keeping everyone else guessing and come qualifying they're going to have a laugh.