Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
atanatizante

Re: Mercedes GP W02

mirkovladic wrote: ... Firstly less fuel, less weight better CoG. Then no hot blowing less heat in the exausts: less heat under the bonnet, better cooling, less gills->better aero. Better cooling will also come with the new exaust, as part of it will be outside, which less hot exhaust under the bonnet (I think the inner part can be shorter with a RB exhaust)...
Dude, I`m in sympathy with your thoughts, but unfortunately I don`t think they`ll use less fuel now, because once the cooling problem got fixed they could run more the engine up to 100% which btw.is the only positive aspect.
So more fuel and more heat ... not to mention that more fuel means higher CoG ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

3one
3one

What i would like to see come this next race is the Mk3 wing...
If they do use the Mk3 wing this would suggest they have substantial rear DF gains with the EBD...

As we know the Mk3 wing was put aside due to the oversteering problem of the W02 during the past races

Ferraripilot

3one wrote:What i would like to see come this next race is the Mk3 wing...
If they do use the Mk3 wing this would suggest they have substantial rear DF gains with the EBD...

As we know the Mk3 wing was put aside due to the oversteering problem of the W02 during the past races
+1 indeed!

We shall see what trickery this new EBD allows MB to bring. Would be great seeing a few points improvement on either end in terms of downforce. That would probably properly put them within fighting range for some podiums this season

marcush.
marcush.

you guys are optimists...
they used the extra fuel to make more downforce to save the tyres to gain average laptime..So removiung the aero gains will be offset by some c0fG gains with full tank but the loss in df will be all the time...so its an Overall loss and getting more severe as fuel is burned.
Mercedes needed to rethink their concept and as we have seen have adopted a RB style exhaust because of that.
Unfortunatelly they are 8races back from RedBull in terms of understanding this system and very unlikely its a perfect fit to the W02 concept as well.
So now its copy tiem as close as possible to something that works...

Adamski

There's an interesting question on AMuS for Ross Brawn. It's all about the new exhaust solution they didn't run in Valencia.
Looks like they're just forced the team to run the new exhaust solution two weeks earlier than the original plan. They want to gather some very useful data in Valencia, but they didn't run it just for safety reasons.
But why they don't running a Red Bull style exhaust since the start of the season?
Because the existing position of the exhaust (middle of the side-pod) is very effective. Said by Brawn itself. :|
He also said that they were focusing on different challenges (maybe the cooling issues, the rear tire degradation etc.) before they are introducing a new technology.

So how they can benefit from a system like they never use before? How they can benefit such system that will has less aerodynamic effect because of the rule clarification?
OK, they will learn a lot, but for what? From 2012, there will be no blown diffusers anymore. #-o
Michael Schumacher: When you start out in a team, you have to get the teamwork going and then you get something back.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Mercedes still want progress this year.

Developing the W02 further will help the squad understand better how to deal with KERS and cooling for 2012. This has hampered them badly, as all updates where on hold to better these elements.
I expect them to also look at possible wheelbase changes, maybe not at races but certainly at the end of year tests to run a back to back comparison of what they contended with this year. Longer wheelbase=better mass distribution and also more space for cooling.

Funny then how they signed of the W02 as a short wheelbase car.... I'd love to know what they think they are gaining.

We'll see what happens at Silverstone, but I think Mercedes wont have any net gain from the ban. They'll maybe win a few aero points at the rear, but that will be offset by the balance problems a shorter wheelbase car will inherently suffer more from when there is a mandatory mass distribution.

Maybe just maybe, others will start to suffer a touch more tyre degredation relative to Mercedes W02, who have their own well known problems there.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Giblet
Giblet

Please stick with the subject of the Mercedes W02.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

dren

Adamski wrote:But why they don't running a Red Bull style exhaust since the start of the season?
Because the existing position of the exhaust (middle of the side-pod) is very effective. Said by Brawn itself. :|
He also said that they were focusing on different challenges (maybe the cooling issues, the rear tire degradation etc.) before they are introducing a new technology.
This is what I was thinking. The W02 was designed around the side blowing exhaust and shorter diffuser/floor. The car gained over a second in testing when it was introduced, along with other parts as well, so who knows what the actual gain of the exhaust by itself is? Brawn stated in testing the EBD had more potential than the DDDs used the year before. It will interesting to see if the W02's rake angle changes when the new EBD is introduced.

Has anybody found anything on the front pod cooling chimneys? Is that what they really are?
Honda!

Ferraripilot

dren wrote:
Adamski wrote:But why they don't running a Red Bull style exhaust since the start of the season?
This is what I was thinking. The W02 was designed around the side blowing exhaust and shorter diffuser/floor. The car gained over a second in testing when it was introduced, along with other parts as well, so who knows what the actual gain of the exhaust by itself is? Brawn stated in testing the EBD had more potential than the DDDs used the year before. It will interesting to see if the W02's rake angle changes when the new EBD is introduced.

Has anybody found anything on the front pod cooling chimneys? Is that what they really are?

The middle sidepod exit may be effective, but why would they go through the massive expense in changing the floor and structure of the system for a less effective system? The answer is that they wouldn't and Brawn is in damage control IMO.

JET, if they do gain a handful of rear end DF points then the front end is an easier correction for this car as the front end has never really been the issue as it's very oversteery already and carries tons of speed at corner entry. Should they find a need to run more rake, great, but I'm not expecting any miracles. Silverstone should be very interesting if it rains

dren

I think the benefit of the rear system is to allow the car to run more rake. I don't think they thought of that solution. So it'll be interesting to see if the car takes a more Red Bull approach with the new exhaust with a steeper rake.
Honda!

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Ferraripilot

Anyone see the new floor and blown diff setup yet? Really looking forward to that

mantikos
mantikos

Adamski

Thanks Mantikos!

It's a very interesting exhaust design. It looks not so aero efficient compared to Ferrari/Red Bull/McLaren designs for first look. Maybe it's not like they will race it!? :roll:
I hope so :lol:
Michael Schumacher: When you start out in a team, you have to get the teamwork going and then you get something back.

Adamski

That bulge behind the top air intakes is an illusion or something for the preparation ?