McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
McG

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

It's only the chassis and suspension movement, not flex in the wing. And if it is flex, it's within the limit allowed.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

Giblet
Giblet

I am splitting off much of the flexible wing talk and putting it in the Flexible Wings 2011 thread.

While it hovers around the issue on the car, the whole thread has been hijacked on it.

I'll be moving more posts, so don't respond to them here. Once we have a development of the car, like another vid showing NO flex, we'll have something for mp4-26 dining table to munch on again.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

PlatinumZealot

Thank Jesus. The flexible wing thing is really overdone.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Banki
Banki

Hello! I'm a new boy.
I would like to ask which McLaren is in this picture? http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 0427_n.jpg
Because there isn't L shaped sidepods but it can't be neither MP4-25 because there isn't shark fin

amouzouris

It must be hamilton's monza spec of the MP4-25 cause u can see the low downforce rear wing.

Banki
Banki

Thank you.

forty-two

I think it must be a demonstrator, not an actual model, but an amalgam of many.

- As has been pointed out already it does not feature an F-duct or a shark fin
- The front wing looks fairly new, certainly no older than the MP4-24
- It does not have the U sidepods so it definitely is not a 26
- It's fitted with Pirelli tyres (probably some contract thing that says it has to be now??).
- Looks like the number on the rear wing endplate is 4 which would suggest it's either an MP4-25 or an MP4-26, or more likely has been re-branded to reflect the current numbering.

If I were a betting man, I'd guess it was basically an MP4-24 chassis, with perhaps some newer or non-spec bits attached to it for some sort of promo event.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Byronrhys

forty-two wrote:I think it must be a demonstrator, not an actual model, but an amalgam of many.

- As has been pointed out already it does not feature an F-duct or a shark fin
- The front wing looks fairly new, certainly no older than the MP4-24
- It does not have the U sidepods so it definitely is not a 26
- It's fitted with Pirelli tyres (probably some contract thing that says it has to be now??).
- Looks like the number on the rear wing endplate is 4 which would suggest it's either an MP4-25 or an MP4-26, or more likely has been re-branded to reflect the current numbering.

If I were a betting man, I'd guess it was basically an MP4-24 chassis, with perhaps some newer or non-spec bits attached to it for some sort of promo event.

Clearly a MP4-25( nose, Sidepod entry, Airbox stand out the most and also the 24 was much shorter), Definitely Monza Spec, most likely used because its the closest thing they had that looks similar to the 26 for the Demo... which it does look like.

forty-two

Bet it's got cooling fans hiding in the sidepods too!

Does anyone know when this was taken?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

thestig84
thestig84

Yeah definitely the mp4-25. I was taken earlier today at a pre Silverstone sponsor event for Hilton and JB. That was posted on @thefifthdriver twitter account.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Late spec 25 fitted with Monza RW and also the engine cover to go with it.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

lotus7
lotus7

thestig84 wrote:Yeah definitely the mp4-25. I was taken earlier today at a pre Silverstone sponsor event for Hilton and JB. That was posted on @thefifthdriver twitter account.
What? Did Paris get into this act , too?

Banki
Banki

And what do you think of McLaren hold L shaped sidepod for the next year? or they get back the normal one? Are they satisfied with it?

kalinka
kalinka

So far I didn't hear a single statement from any of the team members that says the L-pods are crap or even disadvantage. At the beginning of the year they even had too efficient cooling, what resulted in a more tapered rear-end later. Also they didn't change it during the season, so they're quite happy with it's performance IMHO. The only change were those little winglets, but it happened even before first race IIRC. Maybe there'll be even some followers of the design next year...

EDIT : Any info on upgrades for Silverstone ?

astracrazy
astracrazy

i expect them to keep them and even improve further on the whole concept