McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MikeFromCanada

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

Early Silverstone pics:

JMN
JMN

Have they reverted to the Pre-Valencia endplate (1 vertical slot) or is it just the old front wing on display outside the pit?

wesley123
wesley123

nah that is an one even older then that, like 4 races back or so. The waved cascade shape is gone too so it cant be the Canadian one
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Pre monaco wing.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

ell66
ell66

Owen.C93 wrote:Pre monaco wing.
pre spain actually.

it'l be intresting to see what they've brought this weekend in new parts, iv read quite a bit.

horse

Kind of ties up with Jenson's interview on the BBC today. He was hinting that they have had to reduce the amount of front downforce to compensate for the loss of the blown diffuser. He also mentioned they'd be progressing on the setup using the simulator. Do you think they've been running the characteristics of past wings to see what balances out with the new expected DF at the rear?
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Hangaku

Well, I guess they are going to be bolting all raft of different bits to the car tomorrow, due to the fact they are now trying to re-balance much of the car in the corners. I wouldn't be surprised if they have four different front wings with them tomorrow, a couple of rear wings, and some other interesting stuff going on around the rear wheels :wtf:
Yer.

TheWiseOwl
TheWiseOwl

Hangaku wrote:Well, I guess they are going to be bolting all raft of different bits to the car tomorrow, due to the fact they are now trying to re-balance much of the car in the corners. I wouldn't be surprised if they have four different front wings with them tomorrow, a couple of rear wings, and some other interesting stuff going on around the rear wheels :wtf:
Well, you're right about the rear wings.

Last edited by TheWiseOwl on 08 Jul 2011, 10:37, edited 1 time in total.

SiLo

Hamilton is testing a new rear wing which dumps more downforce when the DRS is open, but has less in general apparently.
Felipe Baby!

myurr
myurr

New McLaren rear wing has a much smaler top flap and no central pillar. Actuator looks like the Redbull / new Ferrari one.

TheWiseOwl
TheWiseOwl

Also the main plane of the front wing has been split.

kalinka
kalinka

Wonder if that RW development has anything to do with the EBD ban, or it's just a coincidence?

myurr
myurr

kalinka wrote:Wonder if that RW development has anything to do with the EBD ban, or it's just a coincidence?
Could be they're going to go the low drag higher top speed but less downforce route, whereas before they were more about having as much downforce from the rear as possible. Would make sense now their downforce levels and balance are going to be affected by the EBD changes.

Mole
Mole

A thought came to me earlier, how about if McLaren put a thin lid on top of the sidepods and used that as a downforce generating surface? It could narrow down at the back to accelerate air flow through the tunnel too.

Would this even work, or would the drag penalties outweigh any gains? I assume the latter as McLaren would've probably obviously considered this already

ianwit
ianwit

Mole wrote:A thought came to me earlier, how about if McLaren put a thin lid on top of the sidepods and used that as a downforce generating surface? It could narrow down at the back to accelerate air flow through the tunnel too.

Would this even work, or would the drag penalties outweigh any gains? I assume the latter as McLaren would've probably obviously considered this already
As a pure guess it might compromise the flow under and over the floor.
Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.