Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mantikos
mantikos

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Adamski wrote:Image

That bulge behind the top air intakes is an illusion or something for the preparation ?
Doesn't look like an illusion, could it be similar to the sensor McLaren was running on it's nose a while ago?

Adamski wrote:
Thanks Mantikos!

It's a very interesting exhaust design. It looks not so aero efficient compared to Ferrari/Red Bull/McLaren designs for first look. Maybe it's not like they will race it!? :roll:
I hope so :lol:
You are very welcome!

What do you mean it doesn't look aero efficient? I certainly can't eyeball it and say it is or isn't all I can say is the exhaust position is much closer to the rear tire than that of the others...which might heat them up similar to the mid exiting exhaust...and for some reason the exhaust tapers towars the end...I am not sure why they want a tapered outlet

Adamski

Sorry, I can't find bigger picture...

Also new diffuser? Or just a heat resistant design?

Mantikos!
The exhaust outlet not part of the floor, like the competitors designs, that's why I said 'not aero efficient'.
Michael Schumacher: When you start out in a team, you have to get the teamwork going and then you get something back.

mantikos
mantikos

Adamski wrote:Image
Sorry, I can't find bigger picture...

Also new diffuser? Or just a heat resistant design?

Mantikos!
The exhaust outlet not part of the floor, like the competitors designs, that's why I said 'not aero efficient'.
FI and Ferrari's look like bolt ons too...except Ferrari eventually covered it with some CF skin

Ferraripilot

looks like there is a brace between the rear wing bridging to the diffuser roof as well. I don't recall them having that before. Also, the exhaust looks like it is exiting short compared to where others exit theirs from......

mantikos
mantikos

Ferraripilot wrote:looks like there is a brace between the rear wing bridging to the diffuser roof as well. I don't recall them having that before. Also, the exhaust looks like it is exiting short compared to where others exit theirs from......
Agreed on both pt's I noticed both those things as well...

Ferraripilot

It looks as if they are going for a little of both their concept and the Red Bull concept here by way of blowing the diffuser and the upper part of the diffuser. There is heat tape positioned on top of the diffuser as well.

mantikos
mantikos

Ferraripilot wrote:It looks as if they are going for a little of both their concept and the Red Bull concept here by way of blowing the diffuser and the upper part of the diffuser. There is heat tape positioned on top of the diffuser as well.
Although that would explain the bell shaped taper at the exit end of the exhaust pipe that I mentioned before I would assume it would reduce diffuser efficiency as pressure differentials increase the diffuser's efficiency...or so I think...and therefore blowing both the top and the bottom would cause the same speed therefore pressure of air...confused!

Ferraripilot

mantikos wrote:Although that would explain the bell shaped taper at the exit end of the exhaust pipe that I mentioned before I would assume it would reduce diffuser efficiency as pressure differentials increase the diffuser's efficiency...or so I think...and therefore blowing both the top and the bottom would cause the same speed therefore pressure of air...confused!

As am I. Perhaps there is more to come in the way of air diversion......

What is going on with what appears to be a verticle diffuser extension at the ends of the diffuser inbetween the wheel and the diff?

mantikos
mantikos

Ferraripilot wrote:
mantikos wrote:Although that would explain the bell shaped taper at the exit end of the exhaust pipe that I mentioned before I would assume it would reduce diffuser efficiency as pressure differentials increase the diffuser's efficiency...or so I think...and therefore blowing both the top and the bottom would cause the same speed therefore pressure of air...confused!

As am I. Perhaps there is more to come in the way of air diversion......

What is going on with what appears to be a verticle diffuser extension at the ends of the diffuser inbetween the wheel and the diff?

You lost me there...what are you refering to?

Ferraripilot

There is a white 'V' shaped piece at the end of the diffuser mounted vertically. I have seen no other diffusers with this particular feature and am not sure what they are going for here.

mantikos
mantikos

Ferraripilot wrote:There is a white 'V' shaped piece at the end of the diffuser mounted vertically. I have seen no other diffusers with this particular feature and am not sure what they are going for here.

Aah I see what you are refering to...the way it is right now would cause a lot of drag imho...I dunno what the purpose is...

amouzouris

Ferraripilot wrote:There is a white 'V' shaped piece at the end of the diffuser mounted vertically. I have seen no other diffusers with this particular feature and am not sure what they are going for here.
i think its because that v shaped part will create a lot of drag and therefore a very low pressure area behind it and help with the extraction of the diffuser speeding up the airflow in the diffuser!

Ferraripilot

amouzouris wrote:
i think its because that v shaped part will create a lot of drag and therefore a very low pressure area behind it and help with the extraction of the diffuser speeding up the airflow in the diffuser!

so a new type of diffuser gurney tab. should have known!

zgred

Ferraripilot

Thanks for posting those. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe W02's prior diffusers did not have 3 channels on the outside as the new unit has. Also, note this diffuser compared to Mclaren's which appears to have a more abrupt slope to the roof of the diffuser. W02 seems to employ a more gentle slope and degree to how they fill their allotment of diffuser volume.