McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
TheWiseOwl
TheWiseOwl

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

Credit to Adam Cooper

Coefficient
Coefficient

ianwit wrote:
Mole wrote:A thought came to me earlier, how about if McLaren put a thin lid on top of the sidepods and used that as a downforce generating surface? It could narrow down at the back to accelerate air flow through the tunnel too.

Would this even work, or would the drag penalties outweigh any gains? I assume the latter as McLaren would've probably obviously considered this already
As a pure guess it might compromise the flow under and over the floor.
It would be illegal. You aren't aloud any downforce devices in that area.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

horse

Coefficient wrote:You aren't aloud any downforce devices in that area.
Not sure about that, but it would contravene this:
3.8.4 Any vertical cross section of bodywork normal to the car centre line situated in the volumes defined below must form one tangent continuous curve on its external surface. This tangent continuous curve may not contain any radius less than 75mm :
a) the volume between 50mm forward of the rear wheel centre line and 300mm rearward of the rear face of the cockpit entry template, which is more than 25mm from the car centre line and more than 100mm above the reference plane ;
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Mole
Mole

horse wrote:
3.8.4 Any vertical cross section of bodywork normal to the car centre line situated in the volumes defined below must form one tangent continuous curve on its external surface. This tangent continuous curve may not contain any radius less than 75mm :
a) the volume between 50mm forward of the rear wheel centre line and 300mm rearward of the rear face of the cockpit entry template, which is more than 25mm from the car centre line and more than 100mm above the reference plane ;
They already have winglets there

Pierce89

judging by the picture at the top, Macca is going for the small flap rear wing now
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Shrek
Shrek

TheWiseOwl wrote:Image
Credit to Adam Cooper
i see 2 thing weird here, the slits on the endplates looks like they produce df and what's the thing in the middle of the beam wing
Spencer

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

That thing on the beam wing is just a cover for where the old activation system used to be.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

foxivan
foxivan

Hi everyone I am a Macca fan and new to this site. I have followed this thread for some time and registered at last :D . I am a bit confused by some members saying that Macca is trying to reduce the DF at the front, would it be good to add more wing at the rear and achieve higher corner speeding at Silverstone?

myurr
myurr

foxivan wrote:Hi everyone I am a Macca fan and new to this site. I have followed this thread for some time and registered at last :D . I am a bit confused by some members saying that Macca is trying to reduce the DF at the front, would it be good to add more wing at the rear and achieve higher corner speeding at Silverstone?
F1 cars are always a compromise between level of downforce and drag, and therefore straight line speed. For this circuit McLaren's staff and simulators have determined that this level of rear wing is optimal in terms of overall lap time in the dry and the level of front downforce is largely selected to produce the desired balance for the car.

Ferraripilot

Is that a gurney tab I see on the 3rd element of the front wing located outboard near the endplate?

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Ferraripilot wrote:Is that a gurney tab I see on the 3rd element of the front wing located outboard near the endplate?
Yes. They normally run it.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Hangaku

foxivan wrote:Hi everyone I am a Macca fan and new to this site. I have followed this thread for some time and registered at last :D . I am a bit confused by some members saying that Macca is trying to reduce the DF at the front, would it be good to add more wing at the rear and achieve higher corner speeding at Silverstone?
There is also the fact that they (along with everyone else) have lost a load of downforce points at the rear. This means that the car will be oversteery as the front is producing the same levels of downforce. So to balance the car, they can dial some downforce out of the front, and make the car behave mid-corner.

I'm sure it's not quite as simple as that, but that's the general idea.
Yer.

PlatinumZealot

Or... use a big azz rear wing! I would take the big azz rear wing because sometimes, you just need the down-force! :mrgreen:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

ringo

Mole wrote:
horse wrote:
They already have winglets there
No, that area is not in the volume specified in the regulation.
It's the same volume where Ferrari and renault have the lump in front of the sidepods.
For Sure!!

PlatinumZealot

TheWiseOwl wrote:Image
Credit to Adam Cooper
Thank God the central pillar is gone. It was unnecessary drag and also blockage of the cooling hole.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028