Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
toshinden
toshinden

Re: Mercedes GP W02

the 3rd picture, what is that part attached to the white area?
"the day the child realize that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult" - Alden Nowlan

Byronrhys

Strange... Everyones getting a tighter arse when ours is getting bigger...-.-

Coefficient
Coefficient

toshinden wrote:the 3rd picture, what is that part attached to the white area?

A car. :D
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

horse

zgred wrote:Image
Ferraripilot wrote:so a new type of diffuser gurney tab. should have known!
Yeah, it's an interesting idea this. Sort of bringing the Gurney around the corner to meet the channels turning outwards between the rear wheel and the diffuser, presumably improving performance out towards the back of the rear wheels. They're pretty big, tho, ay? Perhaps they act a little like a fence, as well, to help encourage more exhaust gases under the car?
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

kalinka
kalinka

Wonder why they didn't add McL and RB style diffusor-extending gills below the rear wing endplates ? It proved to be effective on those cars. Why would it be so different on this car, that it couldn't work ? Or they simply think this gourney-type solution is better ?

marcush.
marcush.

you could say the same about the gurney on top of the difusser and bridge wing...everyone says the separated gurney with the air gap should be a useful thing...maybe it´s not as important as we think? On the other hand it seems not to be THAT much work.

luca
luca

They added a guide vane. That wasn't there in the initial picture posted a couple of pages ago.

mantikos
mantikos

luca wrote:Image

They added a guide vane. That wasn't there in the initial picture posted a couple of pages ago.
You are right, the added the outter guide vane...the metallic unpainted one...although I am still curious about the bell shaped taper toward the exhaust exit and the fact the pipe is much higher than others who have outter blown diffusers and is not aimed downwards towards the underside of the diffuser at all...this is very unique in addition to the shorter length and the fact that the exhausts are more outboard vs the others...

luca
luca

mantikos wrote:You are right, the added the outter guide vane...the metallic unpainted one...although I am still curious about the bell shaped taper toward the exhaust exit and the fact the pipe is much higher than others who have outter blown diffusers and is not aimed downwards towards the underside of the diffuser at all...this is very unique in addition to the shorter length and the fact that the exhausts are more outboard vs the others...
Here's the McLaren's one for comparison:

luca
luca

Thay also closed the chimneys, but that patch doesn't look so aerodynamicly efficient to me. What do you think?

(Image courtesy of Mercedes-GP.com)

mantikos
mantikos

luca wrote:Thay also closed the chimneys, but that patch doesn't look so aerodynamicly efficient to me. What do you think?

(Image courtesy of Mercedes-GP.com)
Nothing a little bit of helicopter tape won't fix...plus I think they'll have the chimney less body panels ready for next race...

mantikos
mantikos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/f1photos/5 ... 147404978/

So that 'tumor' on the air box intake was probably a sensor but def not an illusion :)

wesley123
wesley123

luca wrote:Thay also closed the chimneys, but that patch doesn't look so aerodynamicly efficient to me. What do you think?
Their car becomes less aerodynamicly efficient by every race, so it isnt that unexpected lol.

Any way, if that huge barndoor cooling hole still doesnt fix their cooling problems nothing will lol
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

PlatinumZealot

mantikos wrote:
luca wrote:Image

You are right, the added the outter guide vane...the metallic unpainted one...although I am still curious about the bell shaped taper toward the exhaust exit and the fact the pipe is much higher than others who have outter blown diffusers and is not aimed downwards towards the underside of the diffuser at all...this is very unique in addition to the shorter length and the fact that the exhausts are more outboard vs the others...
Supersonic Nozzle. To make the air leave at one constant speed over a wide range of flows.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

mantikos
mantikos

MS didn't have that sensor, he instead has a different looking sensor
I also notice the T-tray in both pictures is now much lower to the ground in the front than in the rear...aka rake