Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
shelly
shelly

Re: Mercedes GP W02

bill shoe wrote:
ringo wrote:
This just a cheap and slap dash technique to get cheap and dirty down force.
It's a damn basically. The exhaust will flood into that little pocket and up the static pressure on the back of that diffuser.
It's a pretty smart but barbaric idea.
It's brain surgery with a sledge hammer.

The drag will increase a lot. They are taking advantage of their straight line speed.
Or it creates higher drag (blockage) on top of the floor which forces more exhaust flow along the underside of the floor where it's most useful.
I think they want it to act like a delta wing at incidence (flow inclined form inside to outside) and exploit the vortex that is thus generated along the two oblique edges
twitter: @armchair_aero

mantikos
mantikos

shelly wrote:
bill shoe wrote:
ringo wrote:
This just a cheap and slap dash technique to get cheap and dirty down force.
It's a damn basically. The exhaust will flood into that little pocket and up the static pressure on the back of that diffuser.
It's a pretty smart but barbaric idea.
It's brain surgery with a sledge hammer.

The drag will increase a lot. They are taking advantage of their straight line speed.
Or it creates higher drag (blockage) on top of the floor which forces more exhaust flow along the underside of the floor where it's most useful.
I think they want it to act like a delta wing at incidence (flow inclined form inside to outside) and exploit the vortex that is thus generated along the two oblique edges
I am sure they are using the sharp corners for vertex generation to aid in evacuation of air from under the diffuser...the first theory of it being an air dam to create a lower pressure (along with vertex) to speed up the evacuation of air from under the diffuser makes the most sense and seems most plausible

ringo

To me it's just a pocket.
Vortices aren't a solution for everything.

It looks messy to me using my minds CFD. 8)

Though looking at it, it does generate a vortex, so who knows?
For Sure!!

atanatizante

There`s a Toro Rosso fence style for EBD or a drumm winglet?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

swanracing
swanracing

hi guys i'm new to the forum, so just a quick intro... my name is carl swan based in the uk. i compete in a national hatchback race championship.
i work for a large electricity transmission company training to become a project manager

my question is. these latest updates, exhaust exit and diffuser are they purely in response to and to limit the effect of the off throttle ban. or were they in the pipeline anyway ? and therefore give greater performance relitive to the mid exit exhaust

Ferraripilot

swanracing wrote:hi guys i'm new to the forum, so just a quick intro... my name is carl swan based in the uk. i compete in a national hatchback race championship.
i work for a large electricity transmission company training to become a project manager

my question is. these latest updates, exhaust exit and diffuser are they purely in response to and to limit the effect of the off throttle ban. or were they in the pipeline anyway ? and therefore give greater performance relitive to the mid exit exhaust

I believe they were in the pipeline anyway. Their mid-mounted system prior was just not as efficient as this new system. Too bad they could not get more dry testing time but I suspect they will be much more competitive once they have deduced the correct setup for this new system. I could already tell the back end was not quite as twitchy during qualifying today nor is the car going as wide.

marcush.
marcush.

It looks like W02 is now the 4th quickest car as Renault is dropping back constantly .
I´m not sure if the Mercedes layout was inferior to the REDBULL cannon style exhausts ,the whole concept of the short sidepods and wheelbase seemed to rely on the hot blowing of the cokebottle area.
Still the car is way too slow and as we hear from Ross Brawn ..they try to learn for 2012 now...so experimenting with the different layouts should help them clear up the picture where their deficits rteally are.

Ferraripilot

marcush. wrote:It looks like W02 is now the 4th quickest car as Renault is dropping back constantly .
I´m not sure if the Mercedes layout was inferior to the REDBULL cannon style exhausts ,the whole concept of the short sidepods and wheelbase seemed to rely on the hot blowing of the cokebottle area.
Still the car is way too slow and as we hear from Ross Brawn ..they try to learn for 2012 now...so experimenting with the different layouts should help them clear up the picture where their deficits rteally are.

I agree. Even though the EBD is gone for next year, they should be able to learn the benefits of such a system for data compiling purposes. But still you have to admit their previous system lost energy and was probably worth 25-35 points while the new system yields another 5-10 on top of that.

mep

Somewhere I read that Mercedes GP has developed their new exhaust for months so I start to wonder if their development department is working to slow. All other teams have adopted this solution at the beginning of the season.

Having the qualify result in mind do you think Schumacher used a rain setup?

marcush.
marcush.

my view of things is the speed of development has nothing to do with what we see attached to the car.Not every mod you can produce is actually an improvement in realworld circumstances.
Renault apparantly seemed to ride a wave of confidence with their rate of change and modifications last year ,but they seem to have fallen into exactly they same trap as a few years back when their development speed seemed to be enourmous only to lose the plot somewhere and taking till last year to find back to something really competitive only to get lost again now...

Mercedes on the other hand have stuck to their base front wing inherited from Honda Brawn and it really seems it is good enough to compete for 4th in constructors ...pretty much questioning whatr the heck Renault is trying to find
with their front wing iterations as they certainly have not found the holy grail yet.

What I don´t get is why nobody is jumping on the RBtechnologies front wing design
apart from Virgin ...

Tyler
Tyler

Mercedes seem slower this weekend than previously. They even have a Sauber and a Force India ahead of them.
Could this be because they haven't fully figured out how to set the car up with the new system.
I'm just wondering if it's worth it as they seem to be doing worse with the updates than before they installed them.

marcush.
marcush.

Silverstone is a special track with lots of high speed cornering and the slow complex .So in effect we see on this track the weak points of the car more clearly ,cannon style exhausts or midship exhaust.

Historically Mercedes have been bad in implementing upgrades sucessfully.In my view this hints at the team being not able to predict car behaviour with new components reliably.
After running the car in certain configuartions for a while they are on top of it...hinting that track engineering is ok and they are able to fiddle out the soft point after some time..but introducing new bits you have to rely on what information you get from the factory to start ...right?

other teams seem to be a lot better at predicting the behaviour of modified equipment...but MCL was lousy as well ...or Renault..or Toro Rosso ...

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

They don't seem that bad to me. Their starting positions seem to be more a reflection of relatively poor strategy than car speed. During the team debrief after quali we didn't get the slightly distraught tone that we usually get when this type of result is a reflection of their speed and they honestly couldn't do any better. To me it was more a tone of kicking themselves, because they know they had the speed to do much better.

But time will tell...in three hours...
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

mep

Well I ask this again.
Do you think they went for wet setup?
Especially for Michaels car?
When its dry they will be bad performers anyway and rain is likely in England.
So could make sense because they don't have much to lose and much to win.

Tyler
Tyler

I think you're right about that Marcush. I'm really hoping they get their head around the new exhaust come Germany and that they get some good gains from it.