2011 Endurance news

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Formula None
Formula None

Re: 2011 Endurance news

Audi R18 engine bay/cockpit ducting entrance pictured here:

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsjuly11.html

I'm curious how this interacts with the driver cooling duct which seems to feed from the rear or side of the car. Simply a way to use A/C cabin air for cooling mechanical components?

747heavy

sorry for the off topic - I will learn from it - please delete all the posts
Last edited by 747heavy on 15 Jul 2011, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

Formula None
Formula None

Hmmm... There's an A/C switch on the dash though, with off/on/auto positions. I also read, though, as you mentioned, that they were not using A/C (whatever that means, no pumps & refrigerant?). Do fans alone constitute A/C in the eyes of the ACO? I was under the assumption that traditional A/C was required to keep the windows defogged.

Saribro
Saribro

Formula None
Formula None

Air is directed into the cockpit via the vent intake in the car's nose, used to reduce the cockpit temperatures, and then sent rearward to the engine bay, eliminating the need for additional ducts with the aditional benefit of retasking the "used" cockpit air for additional duties.
Still curious though, why the main driver vent is fed from the back of the cockpit. Implies some A/C unit sitting back there, to me.

Also, I still haven't found any explanation of what looks like a peltier element over the top of the differential. Maybe its just a heat shield, but if not, maybe some rudimentary HERS.

747heavy

Last edited by 747heavy on 15 Jul 2011, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

mep

Interesting picture.
Looks like they use steel whisbones.
I don't think carbon buckles like this.

Formula None
Formula None

AFAIK mep, steel wishbones are still the standard in LMP cars. They are usually within bodywork so there's less concern about their aerodynamic properties. Although the R15 did have carbon fairings over the wishbones, since it had a lot of airflow through/around the sidepods:

Thanks for clarifying the rule, 747. I don't suppose when they say "no A/C" they are being a little misleading and simply mean no traditional A/C (pumps & cores, etc) but rather some thermoelectrics. Otherwise I guess the AC switch is just for turning fans on/off.
747heavy wrote:As for demisting the wind shield/screen.
Most GT/Touring cars use heated policarbonate windows these days.
This works quite well normally. I don´t think you would need A/C just fo this.
Interesting, I was not aware of that. Do aircraft use similar heaters? Are the thin metallic lines at the base of the windshields what you're referring to?

Last edited by Steven on 15 Jul 2011, 12:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Rest of windshield heating discussion moved to seperate thread

747heavy

Last edited by 747heavy on 15 Jul 2011, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.
- Colin Chapman

Steven
Owner

Autosport reveals that Jaguar is considering a return to Le Mans as an LMP1 manufacturer. It's not on paper yet, but they are at least looking at their options.

Could become crowded at Le Mans with Porsche also returning in a year or two!

wesley123
wesley123

According to mulsannescorner.com there might be some really interresting rules coming up in 2014;
A rumor is making the rounds about the direction the ACO's 2014 regulations will take. It is our understanding that a outline is being passed amongst the teams and manufacturers that proposes what effectively is a fuel energy content formula to start in 2014. The proposal allots 1500 liters of gasoline, or alternate fuel equivalent (diesel, methanol, etc.), for Le Mans. The energy content equivalency volume would be determined by the ACO. For a historical reference, in 1990, Group C1 cars were alloted 2450 liters for Le Mans. C2 cars were allowed 1650 liters. But most interestingly, the 2014 proposal allows for the complete freeing up of the engine regulations. But we can imagine the comparative draconian fuel allotment (compared to C1 in 1990) will drive engine capacities down not too far from what's being seen today. Obviously hybrid technology would play right into this as well.

No mention is being made at the moment regarding chassis regulations.
I think this is the right way for lmp's to be road vehicle relevant, but what bothers me is that it doesnt seem to allow more freedom compared to current rules. If we match these together my guess is that the engines would need to be downtuned that much that GT cars would even outpace them on the straights. Although we do not know the current fuel levels used at Le Mans
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

How many pit stop did they make this year for the winning car? At 65L per tank we can get a rough guess on how much diesel were used....

I think it'll be interesting, although it might hurt "racing"....

wesley123
wesley123

indeed, and I was just thinking, arent the diesels way easier on their consumption?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

They probably are, which means they 1500L will change for different fuel like the piece said....

In the end though there are still room for mis-balanced formula, as if one type of fuel gets allotted more they will be able to afford to make more power....

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

wesley123 wrote:indeed, and I was just thinking, arent the diesels way easier on their consumption?
It was 28 stops for the 908s and 31 for the R18s I believe.

So its 2,015L that the leader roughly would have used.

Will make regs for 2014 interesting indeed if this does happen. Precisely what F1 should be looking at i think, a 150L tank that comes to the grid full, minus one reconnaissance lap on the way to the grid.

However LMP1 is looking to be increasingly crowded in the future, and makes me worry for LMP2 to a point as well.