Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
rdr
rdr

Re: Mercedes GP W02

ringo wrote:
horse wrote:
Yeah, it's an interesting idea this. Sort of bringing the Gurney around the corner to meet the channels turning outwards between the rear wheel and the diffuser, presumably improving performance out towards the back of the rear wheels. They're pretty big, tho, ay? Perhaps they act a little like a fence, as well, to help encourage more exhaust gases under the car?
This just a cheap and slap dash technique to get cheap and dirty down force.
It's a damn basically. The exhaust will flood into that little pocket and up the static pressure on the back of that diffuser.
It's a pretty smart but barbaric idea.
It's brain surgery with a sledge hammer.

The drag will increase a lot. They are taking advantage of their straight line speed.
ringo, these exactly words could be applied to rake solution...
(I can only guess how accurate you can be in your conclusion.)

P.S.
It seems that revolutionary middle car exhausts were reason behind W02 eating rear tires.

xpensive
xpensive

At the end of the day, as this thread actually is about the W02 car, I think it's safe to say that this car was no winner?

But where did they go wrong, or is this just as good as this team is?

And what about the W03, that car just has to be a contender, otherways it's all over with Daimler's patience?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

vinuneuro
vinuneuro

What budget is Mercedes operating on vs. McLaren, Ferrari and RB.

xpensive
xpensive

Irrelevant, that is something Daimler should have considered before sticking their noses into the kitchen.

Morteza

xpensive wrote:Irrelevant, that is something Daimler should have considered before sticking their noses into the kitchen.
I agree X. If you want to win, you have to pay the expenses. But not like what Toyota did. They spent a lot but the results never came. But wait! Is it all about money?
BTW, Brawn has stated that they had not the previous tire eating problems today. As rdr said earlier, was it due to their exhaust positioning?
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

rdr
rdr

xpensive wrote:At the end of the day, as this thread actually is about the W02 car, I think it's safe to say that this car was no winner?
Well, obviously, RB has no winning car either... without engine mapping for auto-blowing in corners. #-o

xpensive
xpensive

I concur Morteza, it's not all about the money, I doubt if the W02 had been a winner regardless of how much money Daimler had spent on it?

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

Hey did anyone notice this http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/ ... 1/878.html

I found the illustration interesting. With this in mind, I think there's a lot more to come from this new layout. It is as yet very unrefined.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

munudeges
munudeges

vinuneuro wrote:What budget is Mercedes operating on vs. McLaren, Ferrari and RB.
Their budget is certainly not in the doldrums and it is eminently comparable with McLaren, Ferrari and Red Bull given their championship position. They also have the technical and engine backing of a manufacturer that tends not to get factored in.

I just don't buy Merc's budget as an excuse when it comes up simply because this team, in whatever guise it has been in, has had a great deal of money pumped into it over the past decade and more and the same pattern emerges. They ended 2009 as pretty much the richest team on the grid as well.

It's all been said before though. As X said, if Daimler didn't realise that Formula 1 development costs money then what are they doing there? I just don't know where you can go with that line of discussion because you inevitably asking why Merc are running a team in F1 at all. I think many Merc investors and shareholders are asking that as well.

Ferraripilot

Daimler knows very good and well what F1 is all about or they never would have gotten involved. Suggesting otherwise is asinine.

MB is about a 400 person operation compared to Mcl/Ferr/RB who I believe are closer to 700

xpensive
xpensive

Ferraripilot wrote:Daimler knows very good and well what F1 is all about or they never would have gotten involved. Suggesting otherwise is asinine.
In that case, the budget is no argument for their relative lack of success I guess?

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Wouldn't all the major teams be restrained by the budget restrictions?

Brian

marcush.
marcush.

the RRA is about clever bookeeping and not about how much recources you possibly can have.It´s just another reg to adhere to and make the most out of it.
Money is of course inportant ,very important in this business ...multiple million dollar budgets to campaign two cars ,300+employees ...that is not a small scale business.You have to really be on top of your game to avoid all those forces pulling on opposite sides of the rope..

the W02 is still a lame duck methinks but now both drivers have at least something raceworthy in their hands ...and Michael coming back from the penalty shows that both drivers had potential for p6 on Sunday.

W02 clearly is ahead of R31 now and the chaampionship slowly tips to their side.
At least it looks like they can avoid to drop down the order this year and keep p4
I cannot see them beating Ferrari or Mclaren with what they got in terms of car potential.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Bollocks to the politics guys there is a thread for that.

Some people here obviously have an axe to grind witha competent team. Talk about the car, the whole car and nothing but the car.
Mercedes gp thread is there for inane ramblings... Thank you.
More could have been done.
David Purley

munudeges
munudeges

All been said and done before. It's bound to rear its head every now and again though. :D

Anyone have any thoughts on how the Merc was affected by this diffuser restriction thing? Apparently the Merc engine was given dispensation to keep its overrun allowance but I'm not sure what effect it had on them, if any.