Kubica's Recovery

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
gridwalker
gridwalker

Re: Kubica's Recovery

SURELY all of the teams could get behind an exemption in the test ban for the sake of Kubica's rehabilitation and safe return to the grid. Say, the equivalent of a single race distance in current equipment, with an FIA monitor to ensure that no development parts are used.

Placing an unfit driver onto the grid would affect everyone in the race, so surely it would be in everyone's best interest to allow Kubica the chance to acclimatise himself with 2011 spec kit? This wouldn't be about a development race, nor should it fall under cost cutting; the only costs you shouldn't cut are those relating to driver safety.

We saw how ludicrous the testing ban was after Massa's accident and this seems to be the flip-side. Not only does it prevent replacement drivers from being competitive, but it can also hamper the return of a driver after serious injury.

How many times can the sport survive shooting itself in the foot? I doubt there's much flesh below the knee these days ...

*EDIT : This is all entirely hypothetical at this stage ... I'm just stating my thoughts on the matter*
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Fil

The testing ban only relates to current cars. Cars over 2yrs old can be run as much as the teams like.

ESPImperium wrote: Last one i do as Heidfeld is on a initial 14 race contract, after that its rolling toward the next race if Kubica isnt ready.
Source? I can't find anything to support this. (Except this claiming his contract "allows the team to replace him with Robert Kubica at any point in 2011."
Got anything more substantial?

spinmastermic wrote:He will not race this year. The FIA wont allow it.
FIA can prevent a driver racing on 3 grounds:

1. FIA Superlicense - Kubica has this.
2. Head Injury Test - No head injury was sustained. Therefore not applicable.
3. Cockpit Exit Test - The only test he has to pass to race.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

gridwalker
gridwalker

Fil wrote:The testing ban only relates to current cars. Cars over 2yrs old can be run as much as the teams like.
I know this, however I think there is a case for allowing Kubica the opportunity to test a car with 2011 grip levels and DRS before going out on circuit with other cars.

If he's been out of the cockpit for a long period, having suffered injuries that can cause potential underlying nerve damage, then I think it is only sensible to allow him to acclimatise himself to the generation of cars that he will be driving competitively.

Still, I doubt it will happen; I was just voicing my 2¢
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Mr Alcatraz

Last edited by Giblet on 16 Jun 2011, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Grow up.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Paul

By FIA regulations, at any time during an event senior medical personnel can request medical examination of any driver if they deem it necessary. Also, such examination is mandatory after a period of incapacity, such as this case.

Although, if the actual tests are anything like FIA testing front wings of the cars, they might ask him to lift a cup of tea from the table to prove he can steer an F1 car for two hours straight.

ringo

It's not a matter of him passing the test.

It's a matter of how he feels in the car, if he feels half the driver he used to be, and feels that he can still try to win a race.

Perez passed the safety test, no problem.

All he did was meet in a big shunt, no torn off arms, no head injury, no broken bones, no extended period of time outside the car and that was still enough to make him feel handicapped.
Now compare that to Robert and see if he will feel even 50% if he steps into a car this year.

Simulator work is probably his best practice right now.

Maybe he can join the young driver tests and get in some laps too in a third car.

No reason to push the issue. Next think you know he damages his hand again.
For Sure!!

ParanoiD

here is the video of Polish authoritites trying to recreate Kubica's crash

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_5MGNUI ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]
Ay Carumba!

Caito
Caito

Ouch, is all I can say. That seems like a nice recreation. Does anybody know why the guardrail broke like that?
Come back 747, we miss you!!

Byronrhys

Caito wrote:Ouch, is all I can say. That seems like a nice recreation. Does anybody know why the guardrail broke like that?
This was a recreation of what Incorrectly installed armco does, so I guess human fault at error. They say it shouldn't have done that if done proper.

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Byronrhys wrote:
Caito wrote:Ouch, is all I can say. That seems like a nice recreation. Does anybody know why the guardrail broke like that?
This was a recreation of what Incorrectly installed armco does, so I guess human fault at error. They say it shouldn't have done that if done proper.
Can you please enlighten us of what was incorrect? it does look like a standard barrier.

Gary

I found this article at the autosport site. It in turn quotes from a Gazzetta dello Sport article. Kubica's co-driver, Jakub Gerber said, "We knew the surface was slippery because of the humidity and we were ready. After skidding, the car leaned against the guard rail and pushed it outwards. Then it crashed against the following guard rail.

"The guard rail pierced through the car and went all the way through it. I immediately saw it was serious, he also had a bad bruise under his eye after hitting the steering wheel. Robert passed out and I exited through the window because the door was stuck.

"The ambulance arrived immediately and then came the firemen. They took over half an hour to pull him out. The first crew didn't have the shears so they had to wait for another crew. Then the helicopter couldn't land in that spot, so Robert had to be moved and more time was lost."

Gerber was critical of the section of road that had a gap between two sections of barrier, leaving the end of the second exposed. And he also called for increased protection around the cockpit of rally cars.

"That opening [between the two sections of barrier] makes no sense," he said.

I bolded the bits that seem most pertinent.

So... if we can accept that description, it appears that Byronrhys's term "Incorrectly installed armco" about sums it up.

Oh and yes, pardon me if this point has previously been made. There are 474 posts in this thread so far and, well, life's too short.

marekk
marekk

Link to full video: http://www.onet.tv/pelna-symulacja-wypa ... ,klip.html#

No details about ARMCO's construction, except that the new one is (obviously) better and they are going to successively replace older ones.

Richard
Richard

Thanks Gary, that quote from the co-driver concurs with the photographic evidence after the crash. We could see that the part that came through the car was an end piece found at a gap rather than a mid section from a broken barrier.

That Polish video is completely incorrect.

edit to add -

The pic showing an armco end piece on on page 17 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9469&start=240 and discussion on page 18

a bit more detail on page 12 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9469&start=165

madly
madly

Robert Kubica answers fan's questions:
http://www.lotusrenaultgp.com/5888-Robe ... ml?lang=en

archiebald
archiebald

richard_leeds wrote:Thanks Gary, that quote from the co-driver concurs with the photographic evidence after the crash. We could see that the part that came through the car was an end piece found at a gap rather than a mid section from a broken barrier.

That Polish video is completely incorrect.
Incorrect or not, it shows how easily that type of incident could happen again.