Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Formula None
Formula None

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

I'm not sure if they sprayed flow viz on the topside though. Generally it pools up in the stalling areas anyway, yeah? Looks like its thinned out in the very center, aft of the slot, similar to the outside of the wing. Anyway, I'm just noting that the only inboard area of the beam wing that doesn't have flow detached seems to be in the slotted area. Not a surprise, that's why they put it there (they'd make the whole thing multi element if the rules allowed), just thought it was a good illustration.

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

I may be mistaken, but while we saw all cars producing trails at the outer edges of the rear wing in the humid air at Silverstone, it seems to me RB cars were the only to produce trails at the edges of the FW too.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

timbo
timbo

Dragonfly wrote:I may be mistaken, but while we saw all cars producing trails at the outer edges of the rear wing in the humid air at Silverstone, it seems to me RB cars were the only to produce trails at the edges of the FW too.
There were VERY intensive vortexes behind the badgeboards too.

shelly
shelly

BreezyRacer wrote:
Formula None wrote:Image

You can see flow is detached on the beam wing near crash structure corners, & attached inboard of the slotted section.
I would be more inclined to think it's just runoff thru the slot from flow vis on the upper surface of the beam wing.
Even if the flow viz paint has spilled form the top that is not a correct pattern for it on the lower surface. Maybe the reduction on diffuser blowing has affected the beam wing too
twitter: @armchair_aero

raymondu999

I wonder if Red Bull have gotten slightly lost in terms of setting up the car. In Mark Webber's pole lap, the first two corners of the lap (including the Abbey kink) was flat out with DRS on. The first two corners of the maggotts-becketts sequence were also flat out. This means that they were drag limited, rather than grip limited (at least in qually trim) in these corners - maybe then those corners simply become acceleration zones for Red Bull in the race, hence a lot less race pace, given that they then can't maximise the grip of the car in these corners? I'm thinking their rear wing was too high. If they had cranked it down, they would have gotten probably around the same-ish cornering speed in these high speed corners, but with more straight line speed.

What do you all think?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Could there be something to the fact that they would usually be required to use at least one set of hard compound tires during the race?

Brian

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

To me it seems the entire philosophy behind the RB7 is to minmalise time lost in low traction or traction limited areas on the map, hence their ability to corner much faster than rival teams and also the blown diffusor to maximize on the braking stability so in terms of Silverstone they must have felt there was gains to be had at other corners on the track rather than focus solely on high speed corners.
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

dren

Agree. The car has had loads of downforce the last several years. They most likely ran an optimal set-up for laptimes during the race. The ability to alter the downforce/drag during qualification helps them out relative to the competition that much more because the car already creates so much more downforce.
Honda!

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

There were so many challenges with Silverstone this year .. the blowing diffuser ban, the rain in all practice session and even qually .. I think you make a mistake in reading anything meaningful into the result.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Mazdaboy

New diffuser (like 2010):

Every race ends when the chequered flag is out!

myurr
myurr

Interesting thought for you... Red Bull currently gear their cars presuming that they'll be running in clear air at the front, making them faster in those conditions but leaving them unable to use the DRS to pass cars when they are further back in the pack. Now that they're no longer guaranteed to be running at the front and may need to fight do you think Red Bull will start gearing the cars accordingly, losing some pace in clear air but helping them fight through the pack if they do get stuck behind other cars? Which strategy is optimum?

amouzouris

I think that they will try to further increase their clear air advantage so that they dont need to overtake anyone!

myurr
myurr

amouzouris wrote:I think that they will try to further increase their clear air advantage so that they dont need to overtake anyone!
If only it were that simple.

amouzouris

I know its not simple but thats how theyve been thinking since 2009...i dont think they will change their minds now...