F1 human angles(HELP)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
BooMooMoo
BooMooMoo

F1 human angles(HELP)

Hi!

I need an expert help.

Do u guys know whats the best F1 arm angle to the steering wheel? (From biceps to forearm angle)

and also the angle between the thigh and the lower leg when bend?

or you guys have a reference book to those angle i mentioned? pls help me as this is important! thanks alot!

i know f1 car is customized to each driver. But i just need a rough guide of it.

thanks alot

Tim.Wright

Re: F1 human angles(HELP)

There is a picture kicking around from USF1 which was a side view of their cad model with a driver in. You should be able to get the angles pretty accurate from that picture. Google USF1 or similar.

StefanGP also used the same picture in the back drop of their team launch or something last year :wink:

Tim

EDIT: Bizzarly I can only find the StefanGP version in a quick google search

But The original image was published in a Racecar Engineering article from last year
Not the engineer at Force India

Mystery Steve
Mystery Steve

I think this is the image Tim is thinking of:

If you click the image, it should take you to a version with slightly higher resolution.

xpensive
xpensive

That was a very small and skinny driver, perhaps they had Danica Patrick in mind?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

BooMooMoo
BooMooMoo

whao! thanks guys!
i still need more pictures like this to confirm the data! appreciate it!

BooMooMoo
BooMooMoo

Tim.Wright wrote:There is a picture kicking around from USF1 which was a side view of their cad model with a driver in. You should be able to get the angles pretty accurate from that picture. Google USF1 or similar.

StefanGP also used the same picture in the back drop of their team launch or something last year :wink:

Tim

EDIT: Bizzarly I can only find the StefanGP version in a quick google search

But The original image was published in a Racecar Engineering article from last year
do post more pictures so i can confirm the data! appreciate it man!

Richard
Richard

The other thing to consider is that the F1 driver posture is dictated by bodywork aerodynamics. The nose position is determined by the aerodynamics so that's why the driver is nearly lying down. Same for the steering wheel and head position.

If you are looking for the perfect angle for bio-mechanics, then DTM, Le Man, touring or rally cars would be a better reference. They have plenty of space so the driver can be in the optimum position for controlling the vehicle.

BooMooMoo
BooMooMoo

richard_leeds wrote:The other thing to consider is that the F1 driver posture is dictated by bodywork aerodynamics. The nose position is determined by the aerodynamics so that's why the driver is nearly lying down. Same for the steering wheel and head position.

If you are looking for the perfect angle for bio-mechanics, then DTM, Le Man, touring or rally cars would be a better reference. They have plenty of space so the driver can be in the optimum position for controlling the vehicle.
do u have the angle for those? thanks!

Traction

BooMooMoo wrote:Hi!

I need an expert help.

Do u guys know whats the best F1 arm angle to the steering wheel? (From biceps to forearm angle)

and also the angle between the thigh and the lower leg when bend?

or you guys have a reference book to those angle i mentioned? pls help me as this is important! thanks alot!

i know f1 car is customized to each driver. But i just need a rough guide of it.

thanks alot
What do you need this for?
Generally I don't care about what people say. I have to be clear with myself. When everything goes well, people celebrate you, when you make mistakes people criticize you.
Sebastian Vettel

alelanza
alelanza

richard_leeds wrote:The other thing to consider is that the F1 driver posture is dictated by bodywork aerodynamics. The nose position is determined by the aerodynamics so that's why the driver is nearly lying down. Same for the steering wheel and head position.
That's exactly right, and if i'm not mistaken there's regulation somewhere in order to prevent it from being even more extreme. Not sure how correct this is, but somewhere (maybe here?) i read someone saying that if left to their own device designers would have the driver totally flat and driving from using an internal screen fed by a camera.
Alejandro L.

BooMooMoo
BooMooMoo

Hi, do u guys have the cross sectional view of the f1 car preferbly around the Human area. The focus is to see how the turning of the steering wheel along with the arm dosen't hit the skin of the F1 car.

Mystery Steve
Mystery Steve

You might be thinking too hard on that one. Personally, I'd take the steering wheel radius and add the rough width of the hand, then multiply by 2 and you have a rough dimension for the width of the opening. I assume you're referring to how Red Bull designs the notches around the steering wheel for the driver's hands?

I'll have to look closer the next time a driver removes the head protection part of the cockpit, but I believe it hangs over the edge of the tub just slightly. So that would make the removable head protection the narrowest point of the cockpit. I'd think when they're making the plug, they probably just fine tune it with the driver sitting in the car, so it's more "tailored" than it is "designed," much like the seats. This is why teams like Red Bull are able to have notches for the drivers hands that are so tight.

I'm thinking as long as the hand is the highest point when the steering wheel is being turned, and the head protection piece overhangs the tub, then the only thing you really need to worry about is the width for the hands.

N12ck

this is sounding like a technology project ,,,,, GCSE? AS? A2?
you are looking for ergonomics? am i right?
8)
Budding F1 Engineer

Shrieker

Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Muulka
Muulka

I would just like to say that the regs (at least the 2014 ones- not sure about the current ones) have a diagram of a driver seated in the cockpit. I think that might be a good thing to use as a reference.