Mercedes GP 2011

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: Mercedes GP 2011

The problems Mercedes have relate directly to the 2008/09 Honda fire sale.

Brackley was set up as 1 half of a whole, with Japan providing further know how with their dedicated R&D departements at hand to help out(the guy responsible for the double diffuser is said to have done so in Japan).
All developments were checked and the re checked by the other to verify, a double standard to pass essentially.

The moment Honda announced the were out, it left Brackley immediatley at a disadvantage to its own former self, as it could no longer call upon Honda corp for assistance.
Honda in fairness were also very very generous and gave the team a £100 million golden handshake.

Now what would happen to any organisation undergoing such a tumultuous change?

Perhaps Brawn painted a rosy picture to Mercedes, but he owed that to his remaining staff, as that ensured the teams survival and those that worked there.
Perhaps Mercedes were gullible, but their hand was forced by Mclaren and its MP4 12C roadcar.
Either way, Mercedes havent made any noise about leaving and have invested in a multi million pound state of the art simulator along with other hardware and even staff in the shape of Bob Bell.

Lets see what happens, because I have never seen a new team arrive and wipe the floor with the opposition other than Brawn, which was actuially a Honda/Merc hybrid..so not strictly new. And given the changes over 2008/09/10 I think Mercedes could really be deemed new with the amount of staff turnover they had.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Richard
Richard

Put it this way....

The team have finshed behind MacLaren and Ferarri and ahead of Renault for the first two seasons of Merc ownership. I think Merc would have accepted that as a reasonable place in the pecking order considering they are rebuilding a team. Remember RB were down in 7th in 2008 before jumping to 2nd in 2009.

However, I have to agree with those who question the manner of their current performance.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

I would say the signs are there the team can progress. We saw at silverstone the team made good strides with a load of changes. The problem they had was no real setup time to hone the upgrades for the weekend.

I'm disappointed yet I still remain optimistic.
David Purley

dren

I think Schumacher isn't quite as quick as he used to be, but he is still a fast race pace driver. He has looked better than Rosberg in the races, although he has also made more mistakes which have cost him.
Honda!

dren

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:I would say the signs are there the team can progress. We saw at silverstone the team made good strides with a load of changes. The problem they had was no real setup time to hone the upgrades for the weekend.

I'm disappointed yet I still remain optimistic.
Have to agree there. If they can inch up performance wise now towards the end of the season, the W03 will be in the place the W02 should have been.
Honda!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Talking of drivers, I would agree Schumacher has shone in race trim, whereas Rosberg can bang in the headline time.

If Rosberg does go, as has been speculated, the one guy I would love to see replacing him is the jaw droppingly good Kamui Kobayashi.
For mercedes, they can even look at it as an increase in Japanese Market exposure!

Win win! :D
David Purley

xpensive
xpensive

[...]
Last edited by Steven on 23 Jul 2011, 01:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed some ranting. Nothing to see here
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

dren

Oh god Briatore? I'd hire back Dave Richards. He ran a good team.

Maybe they can just buy the top 3 teams, run them all under Merc and be guaranteed a top place at every race...

As for Rosberg leaving, I haven't heard that. I thought he was staying next year?
Honda!

Ferraripilot

X, where is the economic sense in giving a team 3 seasons? From a business standpoint, their F1 team -especially with Schumacher- is great for their image and perpetuates sales. 3 seasons in F1 standards is not a whiff of time, and for the price they paid for the team and the substantial investments they continue to make anyone can tell they are not in for 3 seasons. Thinking 3 seasons is for a team like Virgin where it's more of a need to participate than actually being competitive. MB is investing with big numbers and big obligations. They want to win and are moving the chess pieces to make it happen. I say again: paying such a large amount for a team, large sums to drivers, top management, and technical people is just beyond crazy if there is a 3 year deadline.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

@ Dren,

After 2012 I mean, as it appears Ferrari are courting him...amongst others.
David Purley

xpensive
xpensive

There is no economic sense in running a non-winning outfit in F1 period pilot.

Because three seasons was the space of time they were giving themselves at the launch to fight for the title.

Which is something that won't happen, unless Bob Bell is a magician or something, but I seriously doubt that.

A plausible 2013, would perhaps include a sale to David Richards, but the three- pointed star in 2013, forget it.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

I guess Renault, Mercedes, Williams, Sauber, Lotus, HRT, Force India, Torro Rosso and Virgin should all just leave.

Yest that would be fascinating, watching 6 cars go round and Vettel smash the lot of them. Why on earth do Mercedes bother, or anyone else?
David Purley

xpensive
xpensive

The privateers all have their reasons to be active in F1, but what Daimler is getting out of beating them is questionable.

When the other manufacturers were moving out, Mercedes moved in, I'm sure there was a plot there but not a very good one.

dren

I have a feeling, right before the regulation changes of 2014, Mercedes will pull out and sell the team to Brawn for 1 Mark/Euro...whatever Germans use now...and then he will win with a 2014 Mercedes chassis and a Honda engine (they will reenter as an engine supplier). The car will be utterly dominant, and will feature bright chartruse whisps along the sides on a very plain white car.
Honda!

Morteza

FIA Thursday press conference - Germany wrote:Q: Everyone is waiting for your first win since your comeback.
MS: Me too.

Q: How far away is it?
MS: Well I don’t think we are in a position yet to talk about winning races. We are on the way. We steadily improve although maybe results don’t show it but if I see in terms of the organisation how we equip ourselves, how we move forward, what’s the actions for the future, I am very optimistic to be quite honest. It wasn’t initially a long term project for me when I signed up but after a while I understood it is going to be and there is nothing that you can rush through. You have to progressively step up and that’s what we are doing.
It wasn't initially a long term project for me.... What does this sentence show? Norbert and Ross had fooled him to bring him out of his retirement? We are the championship winning team Michael, why don't you come back and race with us?
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare