Williams FW33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
timbo
timbo

Re: Williams FW33

ringo wrote:Front and rear wing could be out of sync in terms of the required balance at certain speeds?
Why you are jumping at aero for slow speeds?
I would imagine they are still learning how their rear suspension works. And while folks from Williams spoke that they have no rigidity problems, I am still skeptical.

wesley123
wesley123

timbo wrote:
ringo wrote:Front and rear wing could be out of sync in terms of the required balance at certain speeds?
I would imagine they are still learning how their rear suspension works. And while folks from Williams spoke that they have no rigidity problems, I am still skeptical.
Dont think they have those, they have the addition of an extra arm on their rear suspension, althought that doesnt solve anything i believe.

Can imagine the suspension being influenced by rear wing movement, the rear wing is lacking rigidly, that was a huge problem at the first test, the susmension is partly connected to the central pillar, if the pillar moves due to wing forces the suspension moves with that, not ideal.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Byronrhys

wesley123 wrote:
timbo wrote:
Dont think they have those, they have the addition of an extra arm on their rear suspension, althought that doesnt solve anything i believe.

Can imagine the suspension being influenced by rear wing movement, the rear wing is lacking rigidly, that was a huge problem at the first test, the susmension is partly connected to the central pillar, if the pillar moves due to wing forces the suspension moves with that, not ideal.
But wouldn't a wing force problem be caused more in high speed and under acceleration and deceleration instead of in slow speed corners, lets see if the overrun they bring this weekend helps this problem.

wesley123
wesley123

Sure it causes problems, mostly suspension wise since when the wing flexes more the suspension will be out of position too.

Although it could even be used more benificial, for example in a right turn the wing moves right, causing more camber on the right wheel, where more load is. This in turn would allow the team to run higher camber, in a straight line increasing top speed due to less contact area, also reducing wear.

That that might be a upside is a bit of a upside of a downside, it still isnt something you really want.

ringo

timbo wrote:
The suspension just seems like something i think is easier to solve, especially for a seasoned team like williams. I'm not saying it isn't the problem, but aero tends to be harder to solve.
The pirellis could be the major issue as we've seen with ferrari getting on top of the hard tyre.
For Sure!!

timbo
timbo

wesley123 wrote:Dont think they have those, they have the addition of an extra arm on their rear suspension, althought that doesnt solve anything i believe.
What extra arm? AFAIK they run usual 2 A-arms and toe-link setup, they just merged upper A-arm with toe-link to form Z-arm.

timbo
timbo

ringo wrote:The suspension just seems like something i think is easier to solve, especially for a seasoned team like williams. I'm not saying it isn't the problem, but aero tends to be harder to solve.
The pirellis could be the major issue as we've seen with ferrari getting on top of the hard tyre.
Actually Williams do have a history of having suspension setup problems, but that was during Newey's days. And if the problem stems from they unusual suspension arrangement, solving it would require a major redesign.
But maybe we're all reading to much into it.

wesley123
wesley123

timbo wrote:
wesley123 wrote:Dont think they have those, they have the addition of an extra arm on their rear suspension, althought that doesnt solve anything i believe.
What extra arm? AFAIK they run usual 2 A-arms and toe-link setup, they just merged upper A-arm with toe-link to form Z-arm.
Like you said teams usually run double A arms, but for Williams to add rigidity they run Z Arms in place of the higher A arm. This adds an extra arm, and although this arm barely serves any function it is an added arm

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

"Z" Arm is not all that uncommon though, maybe in F1 where historically the toe-link have often been located in the wake of the halfshaft, but in many other formula a rigidly welded toe-link in plane to the a-arm is used....albeit I think in some more budget conscious feeder series...What it might do for you is that it sorta eliminates some option for kinematic based toe-change since aside from compliance the toe-link does not move in relation to the wheel travel....and in some instance that might be desirable...

PlatinumZealot

wesley123 wrote:
timbo wrote:
Like you said teams usually run double A arms, but for Williams to add rigidity they run Z Arms in place of the higher A arm. This adds an extra arm, and although this arm barely serves any function it is an added arm
He is right there is no extra arm.. it's just a relocated tie rod/ toe link. The wheels would be turning like shopping trolley wheels if the toe link wasn't there. All linkage type suspension must have a toe link.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

roadie

I seem to remember Sam saying that the suspension set up is similar to what was used in the 90s?

axle
axle

wesley123 wrote:
timbo wrote:

It was? I can't remember anything other than speculation about that on here...no actual evidence. I think They said they have to "beef" it up but that was as "part of the design" not in reaction to a test.
- Axle

adrianjordan

Does anyone have any pics of the new Front and Rear Wings they've been trying out?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

boyracer94
boyracer94

Apparently they're not running the new rear wings for the rest of the weekend for 'structural reasons'

Mazdaboy

Adrianjordan:

Every race ends when the chequered flag is out!