NASA - Heat Resistant Carbon Fibre

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Callum

NASA - Heat Resistant Carbon Fibre

After the qualifying on BBC Nigel Mansel let slip that some of the commotion this weekend has been about a team (or teams) usage of a new type of carbon fibre designed at NASA which can be used in high temperatures.

My first thought was that the team was McLaren and the usage was for their 'octo' box.

Any thoughts?

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Re: NASA - Heat Resistant Carbon Fibre

Think you mean a high temperature resin, rather than fiber.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

conni
conni

its like laying lino thick and heavy and no give in it we use it on the floor to stop it burning through where the exhaust blows

conni

archiebald
archiebald

Jersey Tom wrote:Think you mean a high temperature resin, rather than fiber.
No, Nige actually used the words "carbon fiber".

However he probably should have said "carbon fiber composite".

Everyone knows that the carbon fiber itself is just the fibers and requires a bonding resin of some type. Doesn't stop evryone from simply referring to it as "carbon fiber".

Formula None
Formula None

Pyrosic, I assume is what he was talking about. Banned for use in exhaust routing, but used in other parts of the car apparently. Exhaust shields and such. Came up in the McLaren octopus discussion. Used on a Lamborghini concept car:

A guess, but I assume it's what makes up RB's header cover:

xpensive
xpensive

This was indeed interesting, while I think the carbon fiber itself has a very hight temperature tolerance, problem has always been the matrix. So what is this, some hi-temp epoxy or what?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Formula None
Formula None

http://www.high-temperature-composites. ... rokarb.htm
These new composite materials, marketed under the PyroSic® and PyroKarb™ names, are based on proprietary glass-ceramic matrix systems reinforced with silicon carbide or carbon fibers. Thanks to the use of advanced inorganic polymers, they are processed at low temperatures with the same techniques and tooling as those used for conventional carbon-fiber reinforced plastics (CFRP). Yet, they also offer a much improved resistance to heat and fire, as they retain good mechanical properties at temperatures for which CFRP cannot even be considered (typically, up to 1000°C/1800°F).
So whatever they mean by "glass ceramic... inorganic polymer" matrix.

conni
conni

its a regular high temp prepreg but with a thick ceramic coating on one side to deflect the heat

conni

PlatinumZealot

Inorganic polymers? Interesting. Can somebody give an example?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Silicone rubber

Could the carbon brakes be using inorganic polymers that are injected as a gas?

Brian

Edis
Edis

xpensive wrote:This was indeed interesting, while I think the carbon fiber itself has a very hight temperature tolerance, problem has always been the matrix. So what is this, some hi-temp epoxy or what?
Carbon fibre can withstand high temperature, but they need surface protection to prevent oxidization.

One way around the low heat resistance of to replace the epoxy matrix with carbon. The surface can then be converted to silicon carbide to prevent oxidation. The downside is that reinforced carbon carbon is expensive to make and the final product is brittle and lacks impact resistance.