Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Am I alone seeing that wing bending down, it's certainly not straight anyway?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

shelly
shelly

xpensive wrote:Am I alone seeing that wing bending down, it's certainly not straight anyway?
Othere psters and I noticed the sam type of flexing in canada also. Probably there's something going on the front wing
twitter: @armchair_aero

xpensive
xpensive

shelly wrote:
xpensive wrote:Am I alone seeing that wing bending down, it's certainly not straight anyway?
Othere psters and I noticed the sam type of flexing in canada also. Probably there's something going on the front wing
Sonomabich, it's touching ground.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Ferraripilot

xpensive wrote:
shelly wrote:
Sonomabich, it's touching ground.

Sure is. It's very clear on the main straight just how much it is bending. It appears they have something going with that but I imagine it will take them another couple races to get the setup correct with it......

rdr
rdr

It's RBR paradigm (with FIA turns blind eye on RBR flexy wings for about more than a year?): pass the test - you can race.

rdr
rdr

wesley123 wrote:
rdr wrote:
wesley123 wrote:
indeed it lost 3 races this year and was in every event on pole this year, the car indeed is only good because of their EBD :lol:
Take step back and take a good look at whole picture.

Silverstone was most suitable for RBs. All analytics and experts anticipated huge gap to the rest of the field.

0.1 s in qualy and visibly slower than Ferrari in the race?
You must be joking...
Hmm you have to tell me which 'experts' state that. hmm and maybe it has to do something with the fact that they barely have EBD where they lost quite a lot df where ferrari barely lost df. so is it more likely the RB is crap like you state or that ferrari was made competitive due to a lot of updates and every competitor suffering big time from the ebd ban. I find it pretty obvious it is the latter one, or you want to claim that suddenly they made up 8 tenths to red bull? i dont think so...

Firstly.
IIRC, Brundle and Coulthard said that it was RBRs track to lose.

Secondly.
We can bring here Silverstone layout and analyse every fast corner where speed above 150-160 km/h (when some flexing begins :) )

Thirdly.
Now we have off throttle ban ban... and Nuerburgring second sector results.
2 M. WEBBER 36.883
1 S. VETTEL 37.073
5 F. ALONSO 37.167
3 L. HAMILTON 37.257

Almost 3 tenth.

P.S.
wesley123, Newey words that RB-07 was build around EBD you can find yourself.

Mazdaboy

Predator wrote:Image

Rake seems to be the same as run in Silverstone. Race pace-wise, they're still fourth best. In the second sector they were losing up to a second, although I'm not sure if that is realistic as it could've been down to traffic etc.
Look how flexing the front wing! Sucessfully copied RB front wing!
Every race ends when the chequered flag is out!

Mazdaboy

Poleman

Mazdaboy wrote:
Look how flexing the front wing! Sucessfully copied RB front wing!
Succesfully copied? :lol:

In looks maybe yes but performance-wise nowhere close...

Mazdaboy

:lol:

Ferraripilot

Depending on the bumps the MB is going over, it looks as if it is indeed flexing about as much as the RB unit.

marcush.
marcush.

but in the slomo and the pictures you can clearly see it´s flexing like RB6 ,it is just going downwards,maybe even losing some angle of attack.
Look closely to the endplates of the RedBull compared to ferrari and MB .RB has considerable rake in the endplates...!

Leon
Leon

I have also noticed that
"Clouds now and again
give a soul some respite from
moon-gazing-behold."

Matsuo Basho

munudeges
munudeges

xpensive wrote:Sonomabich, it's touching ground.
Indeed it is. It's showing the same characteristic curve that the Red Bull wing shows but I don't think they've really perfected it yet. They might well be able to get this effect to help their two element front wing.

Ferraripilot

munudeges wrote:
xpensive wrote:Sonomabich, it's touching ground.
Indeed it is. It's showing the same characteristic curve that the Red Bull wing shows but I don't think they've really perfected it yet. They might well be able to get this effect to help their two element front wing.

MB can't quite run that much rake because their back end is just not nearly as stable as the Red Bull. I imagine that much rake on the RB combined with their front wing yields 15-20 points more front end downforce, but they have the rear end to balance things out. If MB ran like that, it would be even more twitchy and the back end would fly about all over the track.