McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
timbo
timbo

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

hardingfv32 wrote:timbo

What are you observing to make a judgement on how stiff the car was? Transitions over curbs for example?

Brian
In the FP1 there was a lot of shake going on on the bumps. Same impression from outside and from onboard. It looked like on some races last year.
Of course it is just visual impression and I can mistake.

Vasco

Does anyone know if they ran the short chord DRS? From the pic posted in the previous page it seems they are still running their old style DRS wing.

myurr
myurr

Vasco wrote:Does anyone know if they ran the short chord DRS? From the pic posted in the previous page it seems they are still running their old style DRS wing.
It was the old style. I doubt we'll see the short chord one again until Monza, it seemed to lose them a huge heap of downforce.

Mazdaboy

Look at this: assymetric brake ducts.

http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/ ... 2/884.html
Every race ends when the chequered flag is out!

Poleman

McLaren loves assymetry its a common secret!

Interesting brake drum and duct though.

Mazdaboy

Sorry for the wide picture

Every race ends when the chequered flag is out!

QLDriver
QLDriver

myurr wrote:
Vasco wrote:Does anyone know if they ran the short chord DRS?
It was the old style.
Interesting - presumably that would mean that their pace relative to the other cars may be better tomorrow?

SiLo

I hope so, generally they have pretty good pace in the race. And if it's wet we should be in for a treat as hopefully Hamilton won't crash into Webber this time! Haha!
Felipe Baby!

Caito
Caito

Inner front is definitely in the air, with no kerbs near so it's not a jump.

Are they running such front roll stiffness to improve traction? Aero sensitivity?
Come back 747, we miss you!!

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

is that the first corner? if so that could be a more exaggerated shot due to the corners physical layout itself
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

Caito
Caito

I must admit I don't have the least idea which corner is it.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

raymondu999

I thought that would've been the last corner, when they're taking an extremely late apex to get on the power super early and help them down that pit straight?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JamesS
JamesS

The main reason for improve pace IMO is because the tyres are now lasting longer.

This is suiting McLaren's setup and Lewis' driving style.

Mandrake
Mandrake

raymondu999 wrote:I thought that would've been the last corner, when they're taking an extremely late apex to get on the power super early and help them down that pit straight?
Due to the concrete next to the actual track I think it is indeed Turn 1. I walked there several times, it's just a massive elevation which makes the car put up its inner wheel there.

marcush.
marcush.

the nurburgring is anything but flat..the elevation change in the first corner on the inside curb is just awesome and each and every car with not much suspension travel and some sort of ARB will lift wheels there ....the start finish straight is not cambered to the inside but is quite a bit downhill into the first coner ..no big deal on the outside line but thge drop down from corner entry to corner exit on the curb is something like half a meter if I remember correctly .So there is something like a crest in the corner entry which you have to pass approaching the corner .

It´s the reason for all these funny accidents happening when you chosse the inside line.You just lift off before the apex and go straight and end in the side of the outside competitor because the car needs to be so slow to make the corner..