McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
timbo
timbo

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

Interesting that with that somewhat stiff setup (I'm not talking about that picture, just the overall impression) McLaren seem to have best mechanical grip. Maybe that's because they heat tyres faster than RBR and certainly Ferrari in cold conditions?

Morteza

timbo wrote:Interesting that with that somewhat stiff setup (I'm not talking about that picture, just the overall impression) McLaren seem to have best mechanical grip. Maybe that's because they heat tyres faster than RBR and certainly Ferrari in cold conditions?
So they lose the advantage in hot conditions?
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

boyracer94
boyracer94

Morteza wrote:
timbo wrote:Interesting that with that somewhat stiff setup (I'm not talking about that picture, just the overall impression) McLaren seem to have best mechanical grip. Maybe that's because they heat tyres faster than RBR and certainly Ferrari in cold conditions?
Possibly, as could be seen by their lack of pace at Valencia, where it was very hot?

Shrieker

But Barcelona was hot too, and McLaren definitely weren't bad there.
-----

This weeekend McLaren's strenghts were slow corners (sectors 1 and 3). And also, the car looked very good in Monaco too. Can those be any indication as to their relative performance next week at the Hungaroring ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Pierce89

Shrieker wrote:But Barcelona was hot too, and McLaren definitely weren't bad there.
-----

This weeekend McLaren's strenghts were slow corners (sectors 1 and 3). And also, the car looked very good in Monaco too. Can those be any indication as to their relative performance next week at the Hungaroring ?
The hungaroring doesn't have many "slow" corners, they're mostly all medium speed in the region of 120-200 kph. It's a very common misconception because there are no corners over about 210 and no long straights, giving a low average speed. The fairly quick corners combined with a low average speed speak to the RB7's strengths.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

myurr
myurr

I found it very interesting that early in the race when there was still a lot of moisture in the air that the McLaren was producing visible vortices from the rear wing, however the Red Bull was not. Is this because McLaren were generating more downforce from their rear wing? Or is it related to the chord length of the rear wing flap?

Is it significant?

SiLo

Any interesting pics from the race today? I didn't notice any updates on the car, but they said they updated the engine mapping.
Felipe Baby!

Coefficient
Coefficient

boyracer94 wrote:
Morteza wrote:
Possibly, as could be seen by their lack of pace at Valencia, where it was very hot?
I think the Pirelli's are getting harder in order to achieve better durability which plays into the hands of Mclaren. It could also cure their tyre overheating issues in warm conditions.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

myurr
myurr

According to the BBC commentary they spoke to Pirelli and the soft tyre was identical to the one used at the start of the year. I think all the teams are just finding better setups.

Crafty
Crafty

SiLo wrote:Any interesting pics from the race today? I didn't notice any updates on the car, but they said they updated the engine mapping.
Some vanes in the lower part of the rear wing end lates.
Engine map updates are because we've gone back to Valencia spec.

murtoidf1
murtoidf1

isn't that all a bit off topic anyway?

One thing that was interesting over the weekend though was the retirement of Jenson Button from practice 2 I believe.

Apparently he was trialling a new exhaust system that failed, and they had no spares of it..

Could it be the octopus exhaust in another guise?

Javert

murtoidf1 wrote:isn't that all a bit off topic anyway?

One thing that was interesting over the weekend though was the retirement of Jenson Button from practice 2 I believe.

Apparently he was trialling a new exhaust system that failed, and they had no spares of it..

Could it be the octopus exhaust in another guise?

Jenson Button drives his McLaren during the second practice sesssion ahead of the German Grand Prix. Photograph: Christof Stache/AFP/Getty Images

The img is not clear but I would say they kept RBR-style exhausts

Coefficient
Coefficient

myurr wrote:According to the BBC commentary they spoke to Pirelli and the soft tyre was identical to the one used at the start of the year. I think all the teams are just finding better setups.

Correct they did say that, they also said that Pirelli were planning to make their compounds more durable from the next race at Hungaroring due to a disparaging advertising campaign made by a rival tyre manufacturer in which Pirellis are depicted as wearing out in 5 mins.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

http://www.formula1.com/gallery/race/20 ... rsday.html

Are these old or new front wings? I think they're new. (picture 13)

raymondu999

ajdavison2 wrote:http://www.formula1.com/gallery/race/20 ... rsday.html

Are these old or new front wings? I think they're new. (picture 13)
Hotlinked for convenience
失败者找理由,成功者找方法