Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
marcush.
marcush.

Re: Mercedes GP W02

oh ..did not realise this ...but obviously it would explain how rosberg had better rearend grip in qualy and was disappointed with the car in the race .
I´m not aware of things like complete engine rearendcovers free to change under parc ferme conditions...
sadly we don´t get those FIA reports of work done in parc ferme anymore.... :(

dren

Wasn't Rosberg's KERS unit not working during the race? Maybe the team was able to make changes in parc ferme due to reliabilty issues?
Honda!

Adamski

dren wrote:Wasn't Rosberg's KERS unit not working during the race? Maybe the team was able to make changes in parc ferme due to reliabilty issues?
It could be a good explain Dren.

But from this picture, we can see Schumacher's car also changed from Saturday to Sunday.

They were covered the exits on the top of the side-pod.

What is strange to me, is that after Valencia, I read an interview with somebody (maybe it was Martin Witmarsh), and he was explain his indignation because the FIA change the parc fermé rules after the extreme engine mapping settings and it means they simply can't change anything on the car between Saturday and Sunday.
But from the pictures above, it's not the situation.

Anyway, thanks guys for the tips! :wink:
Michael Schumacher: When you start out in a team, you have to get the teamwork going and then you get something back.

donskar
donskar

Ferraripilot wrote:
marcush. wrote:someone has signed up for the increased budged, otherwise you could not go out and hire people.Mercedes has to increase the budget to make it happen..perhaps someone has signed additional sponsorship to finance it.

MB is one of the most profitable car makers. I don't believe financing is going to be much of an issue. 100 more people = ? $20-25m more a year? That's probably at the high end.
Maybe I'm wrong about this, but in regard to the last few posts, it seems there are two possibilities:
1) M-B is operating UNDER the budget limit (stupid, if so)
2) M-B is at or near the limit and will soon exceed it (?)

Am I missing something here?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

GSBellew
GSBellew

If I am not mistaken during the BBC coverage before the race they said that as there was a climactic change between qualifying and the race and that teams were permitted to make minor changes to cooling ducts etc prior to the race.

marcush.
marcush.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93438

Schumacher sees the tyre overheating issues solved and expects other areas to concentrate on during race preparation.
Also he is hintingat a possibly wrong strategy with more stops than FI ...without having to resort to this aditional stop..
But in their view they are going to try and consolidate 4th in constructors,bagging 7and 8th positions on merit ...

I think Mercedes had worked under the RRA already form the beginning so they were even a bit early with reduced staffing now that the top teams have not reduced they need to react.

Hemsy
Hemsy

It's easy to point fingers at Mercedes for not getting things right. But remember that Mercedes are still very much a new team. It took Red Bull six years to win the championship. Heck initially, Red Bull found it difficult to even finish in the top ten. Even Ferrari took the best part of a decade to become regular championship contenders. The bottom line is that these things take time! I'm confident that the arrival of Bob Bell and another hundred or so employees, we'll already see Mercedes win a few races next year and challenge for the championship the year after.

marcush.
marcush.

Hemsy wrote:It's easy to point fingers at Mercedes for not getting things right. But remember that Mercedes are still very much a new team. It took Red Bull six years to win the championship. Heck initially, Red Bull found it difficult to even finish in the top ten. Even Ferrari took the best part of a decade to become regular championship contenders. The bottom line is that these things take time! I'm confident that the arrival of Bob Bell and another hundred or so employees, we'll already see Mercedes win a few races next year and challenge for the championship the year after.
Sorry ,but to me this is a myth .

The Head of the fish changed along with the color of the car ,most people in Mercedes GP not even had to lift their boot to make the transition from Honda to Brawn to Mercedes GP.
That´s a company sale not a new company.

along with that they changed name after winning both drivers and constructors titles so the company buying in could not expect the need for a complete new start restructure and hiring of hundreds of people.

back to the car.sorry for offtopic babble.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Marcush,

When did any Honda RA or Brawn BGP ever work and solve previous problems with 5/6 upgrades added to the car?
The W02 is a very evidently a work in progress for the team. To solve the issues it had, and to make a marked step in performance is a sign of progress from what went before.

But Brawn saying the potential of the car is now exhausted, well that is dissapointing. But perhaps this again is a sign of the team knowing where they are, and not wanting to flog a dead horse.

Lets see what the extra staff can do in 2012.
More could have been done.
David Purley

marcush.
marcush.

Jet,

let´s give them some credit for having got on top of their former weaknesses ,even though Renault is a very good example of how quickly your programme can get derailled and a former in season development king is outpaced by Force India who have had severe blood losses in recent time and Sauber who were nowhere just 12 months ago.

To me the jump from competent midfielder to the front is where you see if a team is really on top of the majority of tasks in F1 .Have a weakness? bye bye Q3 as ineveitably at least one of the midfielders will find something of a sweet spot in the upcoming race.

At this time W02 looks like Q3 for both driversw but Renault R31 a bit shaky for the second car at least.

Is this owed to an improved Schumacher and Petrov only ? I think W02 now finally shows potential to be within 1 second of pole time ,which W01 clearly was not when all teams had found their way with the cars.
Last edited by marcush. on 29 Jul 2011, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.

Giblet
Giblet

Please stop discussing FERRARI in the MERCEDES CAR thread.

I will move the messages to the Mercedes GP thread.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

siskue2005

Any new updates on the car?
i havent seen practice session

jav
jav

I don't know but sector 2 times are way off the top 3 teams. With their great top speed, I can't imagine there's no more downforce to be had?

siskue2005

jav wrote:I don't know but sector 2 times are way off the top 3 teams. With their great top speed, I can't imagine there's no more downforce to be had?
It was same case last weekend

they where top on speed trap at S1 and S3
but where way off on speed trap aswell as sector times in S2, where s2 was complete aero part.

its the same here ...i think they should run lots more downforce
they should try the Kitchen sink rear wing Mclaren is sporting
Ferrari copied that wing and they are way faster now