McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raymondu999

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

If they do I'd be very interested with how they handle the new exhaust regs
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mazdaboy

Wow! :o ! This front wing is great! Look at this! Let's flexing :D

Every race ends when the chequered flag is out!

foxivan
foxivan

Mazdaboy wrote:Wow! :o ! This front wing is great! Look at this! Let's flexing :D

great pics, now the FW alomot touches the ground.

Holm86

So finaly they figured it out. That must be a big part of why they are so close to the bulls now.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Wow, I know Charlie wont be happy with this after he told them to tone it down after Valencia. I hope you don't mind I posted that image on Autosport forums as well, full credit given.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

doink
doink

Owen.C93 wrote:Wow, I know Charlie wont be happy with this after he told them to tone it down after Valencia. I hope you don't mind I posted that image on Autosport forums as well, full credit given.
What's he going to do about it, though? He can't prove anything with his static load test, of which this will surely pass. If new tests and rules come in at the end of the season, there will be a lot of angry people, because of the money wasted. He's had long enough to sort the issue now and it's currently escalating like the EBD issue.

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

doink wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:Wow, I know Charlie wont be happy with this after he told them to tone it down after Valencia. I hope you don't mind I posted that image on Autosport forums as well, full credit given.
What's he going to do about it, though? He can't prove anything with his static load test, of which this will surely pass. If new tests and rules come in at the end of the season, there will be a lot of angry people, because of the money wasted. He's had long enough to sort the issue now and it's currently escalating like the EBD issue.
I agree, it'll be like the flexi-wings debate all over again, the wings are clearly flexing or pivoting, we can all see from the TV images and stuff, but as long as it passes the relevant tests, (which we can assume it did seen as they're using it) then it will be declared legal.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Charlie can go whistle. "If it passes the load tests then it's legal"; that's the mantra from the FIA all season with regard to front wings.

If Charlie suddenly uses photo evidence against McLaren having not done so against RBR then it'll be evidence of FIA bias for/against certain teams.

I believe the phrase "hoisted with one's own petard" comes to mind...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ringo

That's what redbull are doing with the cables.

Anyway i wouldn't beatup my scrunineers over it. If it passes the load tests it's legal. Other teams should just copy it and get with the program.
For Sure!!

Tyler
Tyler

I'm still not convinced it's the construction of or the materials used for the FW but rather that it's the cars rake (as Horner keeps stating) that's making the FW flex. Obviously with more rake it would be closer to the ground and surely the downforce it produces would flex it downwards?
That would also explain why these wings are passing the FIA tests.
Just a question on the MP4-26's sidepods - if they carried the design over into 2012 and somehow put the periscope exhausts in the channel of the sidepods, could this somehow benefit them - maybe by energising the air moving through the channel towards the rear of the car?

hakan439
hakan439

I am not sure but does Hamilton used hard tires in his final lap?

doink
doink

hakan439 wrote:I am not sure but does Hamilton used hard tires in his final lap?
What on God's earth are you talking about, man?

hakan439
hakan439

doink wrote:
hakan439 wrote:I am not sure but does Hamilton used hard tires in his final lap?
What on God's earth are you talking about, man?
Ok I got my answer :)

PlatinumZealot

Tyler wrote:I'm still not convinced it's the construction of or the materials used for the FW but rather that it's the cars rake (as Horner keeps stating) that's making the FW flex. Obviously with more rake it would be closer to the ground and surely the downforce it produces would flex it downwards?
Just a question on the MP4-26's sidepods - if they carried the design over into 2012 and somehow put the periscope exhausts in the channel of the sidepods, could this somehow benefit them - maybe by energising the air moving through the channel towards the rear of the car?
The air in that area moves very slowly. It's like a little air pocket and the air from on top the side pods flows over that pocket of air that is near the exhaust pipes like a waterfall.

Somehow I think Mclaren have made steps to lower the rear channel of the L-pods? It is very low in this picture.

http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... ul/108.jpg
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Byronrhys

Tyler wrote:I'm still not convinced it's the construction of or the materials used for the FW but rather that it's the cars rake (as Horner keeps stating) that's making the FW flex. Obviously with more rake it would be closer to the ground and surely the downforce it produces would flex it downwards?
I'm still out on the rake bit causing flex, the Mercedes car isn't nearly as raked as the rest yet it flexes a considerable amount of the 4 that do flex.