McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Daro
Daro

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

Does anyone know what those black pads at the rear of the channels are?

http://www.formula1.com/gallery/race/20 ... urday.html --> Pic 43/85

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I saw those and also wondered. I'm guessing they might be to reduce the ability of thermal imaging cameras to pick up exhaust manifold details.

Or they're for something totally different and just placed there ready to be applied once the car is in position / other bits have been removed.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Just_a_fan wrote:I saw those and also wondered. I'm guessing they might be to reduce the ability of thermal imaging cameras to pick up exhaust manifold details.

Or they're for something totally different and just placed there ready to be applied once the car is in position / other bits have been removed.
I would bet that they're for keeping some part of the engine/gearbox system warm while it's not running.

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

Aren't they the fronts of the tyre warmers lol?

beelsebob
beelsebob

ajdavison2 wrote:Aren't they the fronts of the tyre warmers lol?
No.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Didn't see the picture but I think they are just the covers to stop mechanics burning them selves. I've seen wet towels put there before to keep it from cooking the bodywork.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Poleman

What were the changes for this race on the car?Engine mapping and obviously rake increase?Or more bits and pieces here and there and details that cant be seen?Whatever it was the car seems to get really strong on par with the Bulls in quali and (although mixed conditions) superior in pace.Hungary is a good measure and the car was solid here.

Holm86

Poleman wrote:What were the changes for this race on the car?Engine mapping and obviously rake increase?Or more bits and pieces here and there and details that cant be seen?Whatever it was the car seems to get really strong on par with the Bulls in quali and (although mixed conditions) superior in pace.Hungary is a good measure and the car was solid here.
Perhaps new front wing. Not in design but i havent seen it flex as much as it did in hungary.

But have they totally ditched the new rear wing?? They introduced it at Silverstone but havent raced it so far.

boyracer94
boyracer94

I wonder if the new rear wing will make an appearance at Spa, due to the very long straight(s)

myurr
myurr

boyracer94 wrote:I wonder if the new rear wing will make an appearance at Spa, due to the very long straight(s)
They've said that Spa is the race they are targeting it's introduction. They ran it in FP1 for the first couple of runs. It had less downforce so they lost time in the twisty bits, but it made them blisteringly fast down the straights. Second only to Kobayashi if I remember correctly.

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

is that a cooling hole under the N in vodafone ?

http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... ul/108.jpg

Richard
Richard

Did anyone else notice that McLaren seemed to be setting up much bigger vortices from the rear wing on the pit straight during damp conditions? For much of the race they appeared to be the only team with vortices.

My rudimentary aero tells me the big vortex generating rear wing would have had more drag than a small vortex wing. So they probably sacrificed that drag to get more downforce. Yet they were still the fastest car in a straight line.

Any thoughts on this?

kalinka
kalinka

Yes,big vortices in damp conditions. It was quite remarkable. Maybe it has to do something with that fancy gills at the top of the RW endplates.
I also noticed that maybe their EBD is sounding a bit different than in previous races. It's more "mild" sound, i didn't hear that cracking noise under braking. Maybe it's just a TV audio tricking with me?

Carmack

Yes, the vortices seemed very big, although it wasn't for the first time this season that mclaren were the only team with vortices on the RW.

shelly
shelly

Enplate gills should decrease vortex intensity.
I think the fact McL vortices are the most visible is because their rear wing arrangement is the one with the biggest flap size.
twitter: @armchair_aero