Mercedes GP 2011

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Mercedes GP 2011

Of course, with their "Mercedes select" engines, they have at least 30 Hp more than everyone else, perhaps as much as 50?

Withou those engies, they would be absolutely nowhere.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

marcush.
marcush.

key in Monza is stability under brakes and kerb soaking up so you can really attack them going straigter through the chicanes ....I´m not convinced W02 excells in these areas...
nice try X.. but even 50 horses are not enough to drag that cart on pole.

xpensive
xpensive

So what happened in China then, everyone else had a bad day?

marcush.
marcush.

xpensive wrote:So what happened in China then, everyone else had a bad day?
maybe Norbert found a 3liter engine for them? Or a bit more serious : I´m pretty sure without the china performance Brawn and Haug would still travel i outer space at serious speed on their way to the moon ...so it is quite funny they found just enough speed for one race to pull their necks clear of the Guillotine... :wtf:
And now very serious.Maybe it was the one track that suits the car .But then it seemed to suit Barcelona in testing as well...
maybe Slade ,Clear,Shovlin and Ross just have found the sweet spot of the car for once.

mep

I dont get what you always have with Barcelone in winter testing. Even then I didnt saw a impressionable performance of them.

marcush.
marcush.

not much light to be seen from the three pointed star so far ...maybe that´s why one saw this as a positive sign ..but you are right ..to have p1 in winter testing on a single day and being nowhere all the other days is hardly a sign of impressive performance.

Morteza

This team is lost. They have no direction to stick with and even of they had, they have changed it with how W02 turned out to be. Who makes the decisions in this team? Do they even have someone for it or they all come out of the blue? They have got it wrong again like they did with W01. They say that if we start again, we won't be doing this and that! Are these guys familiar with the word learn? As a fan I'm disappointed with them and don't think they are going to do miracles next year.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

xpensive
xpensive

For one reason or another, Daimler shows great loyalty with team and saff and keeps paying the bills, but their biggest problem is that there seems to be no progress made at all, it's like standing still when the others runs away with it.

I have begun to strongly believe in mine and marcush combined theory on the other thread, Stuttgart is much more into this than meets the eye. Who knows, the design-work might even be might even be seen by Daimler as a traing canp for their young engineers?

If I'm correct, it does not bode well for the Brackley squad, next year's car might be even more radical that this one?

Where is JET anyway?

Javert

Too good in respect to Lotus Renault, Sauber, Toro Rosso etc.

Not enough good to challenge RBR, McLaren and Ferrari

They are in a no-one valley

donskar
donskar

xpensive wrote:For one reason or another, Daimler shows great loyalty with team and saff and keeps paying the bills, but their biggest problem is that there seems to be no progress made at all, it's like standing still when the others runs away with it.

I have begun to strongly believe in mine and marcush combined theory on the other thread, Stuttgart is much more into this than meets the eye. Who knows, the design-work might even be might even be seen by Daimler as a traing canp for their young engineers?

If I'm correct, it does not bode well for the Brackley squad, next year's car might be even more radical that this one?

Where is JET anyway?

Apologies if I go OT . . . X, I agree completely with your first paragraph. You have identified the mystery: how/why can such a great manufacturer continue to fund such an embarrasment? Why can't M-B, with acknowledged tech expertise and vast resources, help improve the team's performance? I tend not to credit the "training camp for their young engineers" theory. If that were the case I think M-B would have publicized that arrangement, just as Honda did when they rotated their engineers through the Honda F1 team. Further, are you suggesting their is a pretty significant technical team at Brackley AND another design team at Stuttgart (or wherever)?

Could the problem stem from political infighting? Remember the bad old days at Ferrari, just before the "dream team" era? It was not unheard of for Steve Nichols to discover that a Fiat engineer (can't remember his name) had modified Nichols' design without ever telling him. Is it possible that this sort of thing is going on?
:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

xpensive
xpensive

As I theorizised before, coming up with such a radical approach like a wheelbase (good knows what they were thinking to gain) so short that the fuel-tank got too high, in turn making the CoG to high, is a typical rookie-act. Same goes for the funny xhaust and cooling system.

I suspect this idea was hatched by some shady "concept" design-group in Stuttgart, which is also why the suits are not raising hell at Brackley for this unholy creation, they simply can't because it was created by their own engineers.

To answer your question on why the haven't gone public with this "training-camp" group, they wanted to see if it worked first!

Conspiracy theory, you bet it is.

mep

xpensive wrote: Who knows, the design-work might even be might even be seen by Daimler as a traing canp for their young engineers?
Noooo
I don't want to believe this. Can't even see any reason why you have a F1 training camp for engineers you later want to use for building granny cars. It just doesn't make any sense at all to get a connection between those two fields. Its like taking tractor engineers to build a airplane.
So far I haven't heard of any influence or work sharing between Stuttgart and Brackley. I think the suits just give the money and wait for the results.
What else could they do?
Btw the team gets a lot of attention. Here on F1 technical it is leading the field with two own topics containing more pages than every other team.

xpensive
xpensive

Not at all mep, technical knowledge is still technical knowledge, besides, streetcars are actually more advanced than F1 cars in some respects. Also, F1 engineers switch to streetcars anyway regularily, typically aerodynamicists and composite people.

Other than that, F1 must be very good training for an engineer, you get to lern a lot and become technically versatile.

Ferraripilot

The sky is not falling just yet everyone. This is like Red Bull 2008. They will find their way.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Ferraripilot wrote:The sky is not falling just yet everyone. This is like Red Bull 2008. They will find their way.
+1
More could have been done.
David Purley