McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

richard_leeds wrote:Did anyone else notice that McLaren seemed to be setting up much bigger vortices from the rear wing on the pit straight during damp conditions? For much of the race they appeared to be the only team with vortices.

My rudimentary aero tells me the big vortex generating rear wing would have had more drag than a small vortex wing. So they probably sacrificed that drag to get more downforce. Yet they were still the fastest car in a straight line.

Any thoughts on this?
Maybe the sidepod shape is giving lower overall drag after all?

Also, the RB7 didn't appear to produce any visible vortices where every other car did at some time. The McLarens were the "vortex kings". The vortices were very tight though.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

horse

richard_leeds wrote:Yet they were still the fastest car in a straight line.
Is that the fastest in the speed trap and is that therefore with the DRS engaged?
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Coefficient
Coefficient

beelsebob wrote:
ajdavison2 wrote:Aren't they the fronts of the tyre warmers lol?
No.

They're just the velcro fronts from the tyre warmers.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

beelsebob
beelsebob

Coefficient wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
ajdavison2 wrote:Aren't they the fronts of the tyre warmers lol?
No.

They're just the velcro fronts from the tyre warmers.
They're completely the wrong shape to be a tyre warmer.

Richard
Richard

Here's the pic for those who didn't /couldn't follow the link on the previous page

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

I think they just look distorted because of the way that they're lying on the bodywork.

beelsebob
beelsebob

ajdavison2 wrote:I think they just look distorted because of the way that they're lying on the bodywork.
They only have 3 corners – when was the last time you saw a triangular tyre warmer?

TheWiseOwl
TheWiseOwl

beelsebob wrote:
ajdavison2 wrote:I think they just look distorted because of the way that they're lying on the bodywork.
They only have 3 corners – when was the last time you saw a triangular tyre warmer?
They're spherical, not triangular, I think you're trying to read too much into it, the shape is modified by the contours of the car.

Anyway, does there really need to be a discussion about why there are parts of tyre warmers on the car in parc ferme?

Talk about something interesting, for goodness sake... (a general comment, not specifically aimed at beelsebob)

beelsebob
beelsebob

TheWiseOwl wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
They're spherical, not triangular, I think you're trying to read too much into it, the shape is modified by the contours of the car.
I assume you mean circular, not spherical, because that would be extremely odd... But no, they're not circular – they have three rounded angles on them. They are not tyre warmers.
Anyway, does there really need to be a discussion about why there are parts of tyre warmers on the car in parc ferme?

Talk about something interesting, for goodness sake... (a general comment, not specifically aimed at beelsebob)
It's not a discussion about why there are parts of tyre warmers on the car in part ferme. It's a discussion about what the blankets that clearly aren't tyre warmers are doing to the car, why they need to be there, what purpose they might serve etc. i.e. a technical discussion - what this forum is meant to be about.

marcush.
marcush.

well these pads show clearly rh and lh side markings -but tyre blankets have DIFFERENT markings rr,lr,rf,lr so that does not fit.why should they aasign the middle covers to left or ride side only? does not make much sense to me.

But I have seen more than once teams covering parts of the bodywork with cooling towels in parc ferme or coming back into the pits.I don´t think the bodywork and especially the paintjob like the hot exhausts ...maybe this way they can save the paintjob for the race...

Richard
Richard

I see them as circular tyre warmers but the perspective is distorted by the sidepod channels.

Can’t find a McLaren image, but the teams normally put the driver name and FR, FL etc on the tread covers. The central discs are often blank, see below for what appears to be an old Renault & Sauber warmers. I’d expect the LH and RH markings could be more confusing in case they clashed with the tread markings.

Last edited by Richard on 02 Aug 2011, 18:30, edited 3 times in total.

beelsebob
beelsebob

richard_leeds wrote:I see them as circular tyre warmers but the perspective is distorted by the sidepod channels.
You realise there aren't any channels at that point on the car – they fade away to nothing forward of that point.

JackHammer

I think they might just be to hide something from the thermal cameras, just below them is the exhaust exits so it makes sense

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

It's just to stop mechanics burning themselves and the bodywork cooking.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

mekanikal_grip
mekanikal_grip

hi all, nothing untoward here. they are heat resistant pads/covers.